Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought one, have a few ?s

d.kerg
07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Hey all.

New to your forums here.

So two weeks ago I picked up a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally w/ 49k miles for 9 grand. It drives & rides fun, and get great gas mileage (31 mpg [compared to the 20 mpg average I used to get in my 99 towncar]).

Anyways, I have some money saved up to spend on it. I don't want to put any money under the hood or whatever, it has plenty of pick up for me as of now. But I do want to try and improve the handling a little.

It loses grip a little if I barrel into a corner over 30 mph, the tires chirp, and the right rear tire skips a little bit. Maybe I'm feeling and hearing the reaction wrong, I dont' know. I'm no professional, so correct me if I am wrong.

So I need new tires already, but I didn't know what could help improve handling. A better rear sway bar and front strut brace? Get some lowering springs? I plan on getting some springs to lower the car like 1.5/1.3 inches, getting a better rear sway bar, and a front strut brace. Would lighter wheels help as well?

Will this help improve performance while driving? Also, will lowering the car have a dramatic effect so much as it will change the camber of the tire and increase wear?

Any and all of your input would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

- Dave

QUICK_EG_B16A
08-17-2005, 02:37 AM
yes, shocks and better springs will definatly help the entire ride quality. I would check tein or eibach for the springs and tokico for shocks. swaybars and strutbars, at both ends will really help with cornering. As far as lighter wheels, that won't really help, but better tires will help with the grip issue. good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!