Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'96 Blazer Electrical Problems??

csdisme
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
I was seemingly having the same fuel related issues with my wife's '96 Blazer. The CES light came on and all the previously posted symptoms began. It ran fine when it started, but sometimes it would take 25-30 tries to get it going. We could occassionally "cheat" it but a quick squirt of starting fluid into the airbox.

We took it into a local mechanic (seems to have a good reputation) and while checking the fuel pressure he says the truck died and had to be pushed into the service bay. Now he is saying that there is no power to the fuel pump and he cannot get a reading with his scanner. My hand scanner would not read anything either, neither would Murray Bros scanner. It kept coming up an error that I can't recall at the moment.

I know "electrical problems" can be a goldmine for dishonest mechanics and I tend to be a bit suspicious anyway.

With all that said I am really asking 2 questions. First, anyone have any ideas why all of a sudden I have an "electrical problem"? Or is it possible that was the culprit all along? (i did have the obd2 problem gefore i took it in) Second, am I right to be suspicious, and should I take the truck elsewhere?? Or is it to early to tell?

Like everyone else, I just don't want to get nailed with a ridiculous repair bill.

Any thoughts??

Thanks for your time.....

scholzee
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a 1996 and the fuel pressure must be 60 psi or higher to run right. I had to replace my fuel pump, long cranking sometimes start, put fuel in throttle body to start etc. The old pump was showing 50 ish psi. Some code readers use power from the connector you plug into on the car, usually it is the same circuit as the cigarrette lighter. If that does not have power at it the connector may not either. If the mechanic has trouble figuring out why there is not power to the fuel pump he may not be the one you want fixing it.

BlazerLT
07-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Tell them to test the fuel pressure.

Add your comment to this topic!