Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Radiator

QuestAvMan
07-18-2005, 06:53 AM
I own a 1996 Blazer.........I am now on my THIRD radiator.......The last one I just installed had a 5 inch long crack on the left side near the top......First of all, my question is, since this is the THIRD new radiator I have installed, is there anything that i could possibly be doing wrong. Also has anyone had this problem with their 96.

Lastly, I know i read it on here before, but could not locate it again....What type of radiator cap should i buy...im starting to think maybe that is my problem...If anyone can help that would be GREAT...

Thanks
John

Officer Redneck
07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
I don't know about your rad. problem but the rad. cap I can answer. Get a Stant. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

BlazerLT
07-18-2005, 12:52 PM
sounds like a rad cap that is not releasing pressure.

Replace the rad cap and don't tell them about it so they will warranty the rad.

Rick Norwood
07-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I own a 1996 Blazer.........I am now on my THIRD radiator.......The last one I just installed had a 5 inch long crack on the left side near the top......First of all, my question is, since this is the THIRD new radiator I have installed, is there anything that i could possibly be doing wrong. Also has anyone had this problem with their 96.

Lastly, I know i read it on here before, but could not locate it again....What type of radiator cap should i buy...im starting to think maybe that is my problem...If anyone can help that would be GREAT...

Thanks
John

Is there any chance that the Radiator is some how being twisted or distorted when being installed and clamped down? Has the front end ever been hit and possibly not straightened properly causing the radiator mounting area to twist the radiator? Are you using the mounting bolts and/or the mounting clamps to "PULL" the rad into place?

If all of your previous radiators have died from the same type of problem (cracks and splits) I'd suggest that you are distorting the rad somehow during installation.

Just my :2cents:

Rick

QuestAvMan
07-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Yes, i did hit a deer a while back...but the weird thing is i put a brand new radiator in a week before i hit the deer......so i guess im still confused...i went to walmart looking for a 15 POUND radiator cap...but only saw 13 and 16 pounds.....do you know what one i am supposed to use........or if i needa 15 poundd.....thanks again

John

BlazerLT
07-24-2005, 10:28 PM
16psi will be fine.

Add your comment to this topic!