944 to 951 can it be done?

myblueporsche
07-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I have a great 83' 944 that has an 86' 944 turbo engine in it, however one of the cylinders cracked. I also have a 1985 regular 944 with severe body damage. What i am going to do is take the engine out of the 85' and put it into the 83' but i really would like to keep that turbo power and also i dont want to go through the hassle of converting it all back, so i want to know if i can just put the turbo on the 85' 944 engine. Does anyone know if the engine are identical in parameters? And do you guys think this will drasticaly shorten the life of the engine?

Thanks

pearldrum944
07-18-2005, 03:43 AM
And do you guys think this will drasticaly shorten the life of the engine?

Thanks
Yes it will. I THINK that the blocks are the same...but the heads are different. You might be able to swap the head off the 951 engine (if it's still good) Don't forget that the 944 tranny probably won't last long either, along with many other parts that will need to be upgraded to accomidate the turbo and the power.

zzpza
07-18-2005, 02:39 PM
nope, the pistons are different.

:(

j.

myblueporsche
07-18-2005, 06:44 PM
The settup on my 83' is made for a turbo. It has a turbo trany, new suspension, and a bunch of high performance stuff on it. The problem is just that one of the cilinders cracked. So i just want to throw a regular 944 engine in.

The heads are perfect on the turbo so i was going to put it on anyway.

Does it matter that the pistons are not the same since they will reside in their original engine?

Thanks

zzpza
07-19-2005, 03:06 AM
yes, you will be running a way too high compression ratio which will cause the engine to run extremely hot when you are on boost. you'll most likely hole the pistons.

j.

Add your comment to this topic!