timing belt installation

CanadianRanger
07-17-2005, 05:35 PM
I had to take the heads off to do both head gaskets. when i reinstalled them, got everything put back together including the timing belt, i went to try and start it, and of course it would not go. checked both spark and fuel, both seem good, so im thinking that it must be the timing belt is not properly aligned. so i took it all apart and sure enough no matter how many times i turned the crank, the lines on the belt would not line back up with the marks on the cam pulleys, so i took it off and did it again, and as soon and then i turned the crank for what seemed llike 20 min, and they would not line up again. so im thinkin either the book is not correct or i am not doin it properly. could someone tell me sstep by step how to put the belt on that would be great. it is a 1994 isuzu rodeo 3.2l auto 4x4.
thanks, Dave
also if anyone has or can take pictures of the marks that the cam pulleys are supposed to line up with on the backing plate, or can descrinbe were they are, that would be greatly appreciated

highlandlake
07-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I did my timing belt on a '97 3.2 a couple of years ago, and used a haynes manual. I thought it was drawn and described wrong, but after a few attempts the belt actually lined up the way the pictures showed. On my alst attempt I used a pair of plastic hobby clamps to hold the belts to the cam pulleys while I wound it all around the other stuff. That worked great. Somewhere on here is a thread about doing this for your 3.2, I've seen it before. Let us know how it goes. Good luck
Tom B.

Add your comment to this topic!