HELP! - Dipstick broke off inside tube. . .

Ramblin Fever
07-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I'd say 3-4" of the dipstick broke off inside of the dipstick tube, anyone have ANY ideas?

Or am I SOL?

WARNING - these dipstick's are obviously getting weak with age, it just snapped without warning.

anthonyn
07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
If you think the remaining dipstick is still in the tube then you might try a telescoping magnetic tool to fish it out. Otherwise, you'll have to drop the oil pan to dig it out. Never heard of a dipstick breaking like that. Mine seems so flexible that I can't imagine it breaking off. Weird!

Canucklehead
07-16-2005, 11:35 AM
I'd say 3-4" of the dipstick broke off inside of the dipstick tube, anyone have ANY ideas?

Or am I SOL?

WARNING - these dipstick's are obviously getting weak with age, it just snapped without warning.

You might be able to get to it by removing the oil pan and pulling the broken end out the bottom of the tube.

Canucklehead
07-16-2005, 11:39 AM
If you think the remaining dipstick is still in the tube then you might try a telescoping magnetic tool to fish it out. Otherwise, you'll have to drop the oil pan to dig it out. Never heard of a dipstick breaking like that. Mine seems so flexible that I can't imagine it breaking off. Weird!

It likely broke at one of the "level marker holes"

Ramblin Fever
07-16-2005, 02:29 PM
Called an Isuzu Tech at one of the dealerships, he mentioned a 12mm bolt hooking the tube to the head and can be removed if the magnet trick didn't work. He said the tube can be removed from the head - so we'll see.

Yep, that puppy just snapped - I've always been real careful as it's not the easiest dipstick to work with.

Yes, I'd say it broke off at the "full" mark pinhole. Least I know she's got a full pan. Just put fresh oil/filter on too - wouldn't you know.

To remove the oil pan on this auto, wouldn't you have to drop the tranny or raise the engine?

Thanks - I'll keep you posted. Any more ideas are wonderful. Obviously, FWIW, this puppy will not be started until that end piece is found.

Ramblin Fever
07-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Well, we've tried everything that we can do. Magnet doesn't work, won't go past the bends, too many bends is part of the problem.

Can't get the bolt on the tube off the heads of the engine - won't budge. We've been working on this truck for over 8 hours.

Flat-bed's on it's way to take her to Vern - my good trusted mechanic.

I'll let you know.

highlandlake
07-17-2005, 06:07 PM
RF,

We are all anxious to hear the outcome, I'm sure.
I have a leaking oil pan gasket, and found that removal of the cross member is necessary on the 97's. So I haven't done mine yet - have made a diaper of sorts to catch the small amount of oil that leaks. So I'm interested in the amount of labor to R & R. Maybe Vern can catch the trans fluid in a clean pan and re-use it? Keep us posted, good luck on finding that bugger piece.

Ramblin Fever
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Update: Spoke to my good mechanic, he's never experienced this scenerio before and is not able to work on it til Wednesday - but, in his opinion, thought it was safe to drive.

That "opinion" didn't settle too well, so I called another Isuzu dealership - where I bought and had serviced my 1st Rodeo. They said under NO circumstances should that engine be started.

Needless to say, it's now being towed to Tynan's Isuzu.

I'll keep you posted, "as the story unfolds".

amigo-2k
07-18-2005, 12:33 PM
I wonder if you could drain the oil and then stick a womans nylon on the end of a wet dry vac and then suck it from the oil drain hole?

I do this same thing when I run speaker wires in walls at my house.

I think the dipstick goes into the the oil pan, right? If so the oil pick up screen would stop the broken part from being sucked up into the engine (I think).

mwt
07-19-2005, 07:12 AM
Chances are nothing would ever happen.

That being said it could get thrown up into the rotating assy and get in a bearing or something.

I would make sure it got removed just for the peace of mind.

Mike
:smokin:

Ramblin Fever
07-19-2005, 09:43 AM
That being said it could get thrown up into the rotating assy and get in a bearing or something.

I would make sure it got removed just for the peace of mind.

Mike
:smokin:

That's exactly what the Isuzu tech mentioned as a possibility :uhoh:

I could just see myself cruising up through Eisenhower tunnel, pulling 4500 RPM's and having that piece of metal come back for revenge :headshake

The chances of it happening are very slim, but hey, not one person I've spoken to in the last 3 days has EVER heard of a dipstick breaking off either - so you can see where my luck could possibly go.

Should hear more info today - kind of weird seeing that truck up on a flat-bed, in all of her miles thus far, she'd never once been towed.

anthonyn
07-19-2005, 06:21 PM
but hey, not one person I've spoken to in the last 3 days has EVER heard of a dipstick breaking off either - so you can see where my luck could possibly go.

It's all the oil changes you've been doing lately! Too many different chemistries finally did the dipstick in! :)

Ramblin Fever
07-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Probably - although I've only used two different kinds of oil in the last 8 yrs.

Add your comment to this topic!