Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

EGR Valve

demotim00
07-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I have had alot of work done to my 94 Jimmy 4.3L CPI(w). Repairs include entire tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve), fuel pump and fuel pulsator, idle air control valve, cpi and nut kit, and entire fuel system cleaning including taken the EGR Valve off and cleaning it. The computer has been reset after all the work has been done. While driving around last night, my SES light came on, so after getting home I checked the code and its showing Code 32 for EGR, and the Jimmy is still running perfect. Anyone has any Ideas what to do next on whether I should replace the EGR Valve or do something else to it? Somebody please help before I take it to the shop and have them take more of my money.

b1gs3xy
07-15-2005, 04:22 PM
disconnect your battery again and reset the computer again, and see if the code comes back, if it does then maybe there still be be a problem with your EGR Valve. How long was it since they did all that work?

demotim00
07-15-2005, 07:53 PM
I put it in the shop Tuesday morning to have the fuel pump, fuel pulsator, idle air control valve replaced, they also replaced the CPI unit they put in a week previous since it was acting up again(under warranty obviously). I know they had the battery disconnected because when I got the vehicle back Wednesday(just this past Wed) the radio had to be reset, and therefore all codes would have been cleared. Than just last night when driving around is when the light came back on, and I checked it after getting home to see what the code was. So I know for fact the code for the EGR is new, so off hand since I know the EGR valve and the entire fuel system was cleaned about 3 wks ago, and than they also cleaned the EGR valve again when I just had it in the shop as the CPI leaking caused it to get clogged up again, but since the code is new, I'm guessing the EGR valve needs replacement, the only thing I cant figure out, is I would figure if the valve was bad it would be showing signs of it other than just the SEL light because the truck runs perfect other than my cat still need replacement. I doubt the cat being bad would cause the computer to pop up the code for EGR.

b1gs3xy
07-16-2005, 04:48 AM
the 32 code should be something to do with the EGR System, and depending on how good they cleaned your intake, you could have crap getting in your EGR Valve or the valve it self could be sticking, if you know how to take it out, it only take a few minutes and you can at least check it out and see, if you end up needing a new EGR Valve email me and let me know, I found a guy that sells new parts cheaper than anyone else. I can give you his info. I would still reset your computer again because you say your not getting any symptoms, it can't hurt to try. Then as soon as you get that 32 code again, take off your EGR Valve and look at it. make sure it moves freely. Good luck. I am not possitive but I know EGR Stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" so maybe your cat could have something to do with it.

demotim00
07-16-2005, 07:07 AM
Well I know code 32 just means the EGR system, however I am not sure if my cat would cause it or not. Since there could be several things doing it, and after checking with the shop I had all the work done, they told me if I bring it in Monday they will go ahead and look it over and see what the problem is free of charge, and that if the EGR valve needs cleaning or the intake needs cleaning, they will go ahead and do it for free of charge also, since they have already cleaned everything, plus since I have already had so much work done there, so I'm just going to go ahead and do that, and than after I find out exactly what it is, I'll repost.

demotim00
07-20-2005, 07:29 AM
It turned out that my EGR was clogged up with a piece of carbon, causing it to stay open. The shop cleaned it all out for me again, since they have already did fuel system and EGR cleaning once. Now if only I can figure out why my damn EGR valve keeps clogging up about once a week, because something has to be causing it. I mean I know the EGR Valve is a problem on these motors, however it shouldnt be clogging as bad as mine is.

drdd
07-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I've heard you can take off the EGR and then turn on the truck and then rev it like hell. This will "blow' the carbon out. Anybody else on the forum tried this? Anybody? I never have but I've heard of folks doing this.

It turned out that my EGR was clogged up with a piece of carbon, causing it to stay open. The shop cleaned it all out for me again, since they have already did fuel system and EGR cleaning once. Now if only I can figure out why my damn EGR valve keeps clogging up about once a week, because something has to be causing it. I mean I know the EGR Valve is a problem on these motors, however it shouldnt be clogging as bad as mine is.

b1gs3xy
07-21-2005, 04:32 AM
The best thing to do is clean your whole intake, I am sure when they did the CPI they only cleaned the upper Plenum, and where your CPI is. I took my whole intake off and cleaned everything, now I should be good for the next 100,000 miles. But if you don't want to go through all that work, just get a screen gasket for your EGR Valve. When my EGR Started having problems no matter how many times I took it off and cleaned it, it still got clogged a few days later. When I put the screen gasket in, I had no problems. It's about a $10.00 gasket and they only sell them at certian part stores. With the screen gasket you should be good for a long time. Then maybe every 10,000 miles or so I would take it off and check the screen. Here is a link to see what they look like. The first one on the page is the one you would get. http://www.sherco-auto.com/klean.htm

demotim00
07-21-2005, 05:42 AM
I've heard you can take off the EGR and then turn on the truck and then rev it like hell. This will "blow' the carbon out. Anybody else on the forum tried this? Anybody? I never have but I've heard of folks doing this.

As far as taking the EGR off and reving it like hell, I havent ever done, however I have tried another method of cleaning, which is what I just got done doing this time when it clogged, and that is dropping it in to first gear, and running for bout 1 mile doing right bout 20mph, and that blew the carbon right out, and worked. However I have an appointment with the shop tomorrow to install my catalytic converter, so I think I'm going to have them take off my lower intake and all, and just clean all the carbon out of it, so than I should be good for a nice long while.

b1gs3xy
07-21-2005, 03:31 PM
if you end up doing that, you will also help yourself out in the long run, because the intake manifold gasket on jimmys is another problem they have, and that way you will be getting a new gasket and wont have to worry about that leaking in the future. Good Luck!

Add your comment to this topic!