Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ah no..!! What have I done to my model..??

mickbench
07-15-2005, 08:40 AM
Aw, I’ve just noticed that my Honda S2000 in one area the paint is showing a small amount of primer. I just never noticed until last night. Right on the rear back panel near the light cluster. Doesn’t that just p**** you off. I’m now in the stage where all the lights are mounted, front lights, body trim all done. I’ve even waxed (this was when I noticed the problem).with tamiya wax… Grrr…!!! Talk about being upset and mad. I must have just rubbed a little too hard on the edge. All that effort for the model now to be un-perfect, I mean it wasn’t the perfect prefect model, but this really taints the build now.

What to do though… Just leave it, as it’s really hard to see. I can see it now as I know it’s there, but the un-trained eye won’t see it, plus I’ve got a part to stick over some of it, won’t hide it all though. I’ve not got any camel yellow left either, and a patch up would be hard, as all the lights are attached, clear parts etc.. Grrr…!!! Can’t believe it, at first I thought it wouldn’t be much of a worry, but now I’ve thought about it, it is. It’s only a model I know, but I’ve put so much effort into it.

Bet this has happened to other model builders before. So close to the finish, then notice a massive f**k up.

I’d post a picture, but the muck up doesn’t come out in picture, strange really as you can see it in real life, but a picture would be pointless as you won’t see anything.

OJDee
07-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hear about that - it's always much more annoying when your at the late stages, the stages where it's all about the finish and making it look pristine. I rubbed through the clear and into the metallic on my Gallardo recently, on one of creases right in the middle of the bonnet, one of the most noticeable and undetailed parts of the bodywork!

Rather than go through all the hassle of stripping and starting again I'm just going to concentrate on not making any more mistakes and then just focus on the good bits when it's finished and take photos that don't show up the error. Once you are 5 minutes into your next model you probably won't even care anymore.

At least it sounds like something you can overlook and others might not even see rather than a great big crack or fogged up windscreen!!

DoubleFourValve
07-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Keep it up!
I´ve just lightly chipped the otherwise perfect (at least, to me...) finish on my Porsche RSR. Stripping? Nooo: just shot a small dab of Tamiya spray into a small plastic container, applied it (just touch on the offended spot) by brush and get on with it.
The option was to strip the paint... and get back to the kit ten years from now. Just grab the momentum and keep it going.
z

g00eY
07-15-2005, 10:34 AM
i would just leave it. everyone makes mistakes. just try to remember this build every time you polish so you won't make the same mistake again. for my Eclipse my masking tape ripped off some paint two times. i repainted it the first time, but the second time i decided to leave it.

Apexi_N1
07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
arh, I was following your yellow S2K progress as I am building my yellow EK9. I GOT THE EXACT same problem!!! on the rear part of the hatch and there isn't anything to hide that!!!! :mad:

any good suggestion in patching it? I mean, I want to know how patching is done.... and decide if I would go ahead to do it.

07-15-2005, 04:12 PM
One of my models has an obvious primer spot where I rubbed through the paint, right on the front fender. I tried to touch it up but it doesn't look much better than before. It's very noticeable at close inspection, but SA still found the car good enough to be put in their magazine. Don't sweat it.

Whumbachumba
07-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Rock chip from a passing 18 wheeler. Make up a story behind the car that will explain the flaws in it, such as your paint chip. I hope that you'll find a way to either fix it or get a good story on it.

Sticky Fingers
07-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry to hear of your problem Mick. :( One thing you could do is get a 1/24 scale figurine and stand it in front of the area. Voila! The mistake is gone!! :)

mickbench
07-17-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the encouragement guys. It’s not that bad, but I was a little upset. It’s one of those builds that was going well, but I’ve had a few disasters now along the way.

Even just today had a metal transfer go bad.. Seems when ever I attempt a Japanese sports car it goes wrong. My skyline was a total disaster. Started out well, but went all so wrong..!!

But, I’m determined to get this S2000 completed. It will be on my car model shelf… This time, a Japanese sports car will be completed..!!

It is nice to know others get so close, and then make a mistake, but just leave it. I sometimes think it's best to leave it, as sometimes attempts to repair can make it worse.. Thanks guys..

Lurchio
07-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Mick, be philosophical.
You are like me - just a few months into this hobby.
I make mistakes but every one I learn from and try not to make on the next model. I'm now 7 kits in and the mistakes are reducing every time. Don't feel it needs to be perfect from the start.
I bet you will notice it far more than anyone else!

Add your comment to this topic!