S10 heat problem

Jerseyken
07-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for all the posts. I appreciate your time. Here's the deal. Last fall I noticed I had no heat, so in order to solve the problem at the least expense I replaced the thermostat myself. Still no heat. Wanted to flush the system, but couldn't find the drain plug so I took it to the dealer. He said it was a clogged heater core; drained and flushed and replaced the coolant. Everything was fine all winter and spring, but recently I needed the defroster and noticed there was no heat again. I did some minor research on the internet and found out that Dexcool has been causing problems for a long time by sludging up and blocking radiators and heater cores. GM will not recognize the problem and some customers are incurring high repair bills because of this. I suspect I am having the same problem as last year after reading about Dexcool.

rstroud
07-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Yep....these new coolants that are supposed to be so much better aren't. They're just more expensive. Stick with what works....just regular coolant. I'd rather spend $4-$5 a gallon and change it every so often that to experiment with this new stuff.

OverBoardProject
07-15-2005, 12:51 AM
You'll need to fully flush the system again or from what I understand you'll end up with a cooling system full of sludge.

A good Rad shop can do this, and they'll use the coolant that they feel is best for your situation (tell them that it must be long life)

Since your heater was only flushed a year ago it shouldn't be too bad.

blazee
07-15-2005, 06:44 AM
You can do a better flush than a shop can do, if you follow the directions that I posted in your other thread:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=431094

Don't believe it's better? Check this out:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=405811

jonnoboy
11-06-2005, 05:17 PM
if no avail flushing standard way, reverse lines to heater core for a bit, should backflow gook out. can leave like that and even drive a while, should help.

shortbill
12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
thanx guys i'll give it a try tommorow and let ya'll know what happens

Add your comment to this topic!