Tokico Trekmasters vs. Monroe Sensatracts

Cubana19
07-14-2005, 09:14 AM
In the market for new shocks for my '00 Rodeo V6 (58K miles). I have been researching everywhere on the Internet and it seems to be between Tokico and Monroe. I live in FL and I am not interested in any off-roading or anything like that. I just want a solid (not stiff) ride around town and the occassional highway rides. Which of the two brands do you guys think will accomplish what i want?

Also, how much should an honest mechanic charge to install them? I am not mechanically inclined :-(

Thanks for the feedback!

Ramblin Fever
07-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Just purchased the Tokico trekmaster's, hoping they would be MUCH improved over my old "horrible" KYB Gas-adjust.

Can't truly say that they are; the ride off the beat path is MUCH improved for sure - but the ride in town, is just as jolting, if not more so, then the old shocks.

Not really happy for the money spent on them.

I'm so close to just going after the Monroe's, but I've also heard that they're not for towing, hauling stuff, which I do much of in the summer.

amigo-2k
07-14-2005, 10:40 AM
on the road

Monroe

is the way to go. I replaced my OEM ones with them last year and the ride is much better.

Cubana19
07-15-2005, 09:23 AM
I found a website that sells shocks and I asked them for a proce quote for Monroe Sensatracs for my Rodeo and this was their response:

"We don't sell Monroe and I certainly wouldn't recommend spending any money on them, especially with the choices that are available for this SUV."

FYI: They quoted me $214 (free shipping) for the Tokicos.

iskiuskiweski
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I am too getting ready to put some on my rig. I was leaning towards the Sensa-tracs, but after reading this post I am unsure. Has anyone had problems with them towing, this is what I bought my Rodeo for, was to tow my boat.

Cubana19
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
the comment was from a salesperson at shox.com

amigo-2k
07-16-2005, 09:31 AM
http://www.a-1shocks.com/

Daddycat
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
cubana, i really like the monroe sensatracs i put on a few weeks ago, smooth but still firm on the bumps and no more nose dive while breaking. my driving is/will be 99.9% on road. i paid $40/shock and installed them myself. very next day i see someone here saying sears is having a sale...... $45/shock installed! damn my luck.

weathermedic
07-17-2005, 08:40 PM
I purchased tho Monroe's last October (Shocktober-as they call it) where you buy 3 and get 1 free during the month.
I had my mechanic at my job put them in (as a side job) They made a big difference over the stock junk that comes with the Rodeo.
I also just purchased 4 new tires (Baja Widetracks-made by Firestone) and noticed the ride was even better with the new tires. Even the tire guy who took it for a test drive said it rode nice. He explained to me that the Goodyear Wrangler's that came with the truck are made out of a "hard" rubber and that my new tires were softer. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing (I do most of my driving on pavement, but it's NYC pavement with potholes, broken manhole covers and stuff like that)

Jason

amigo-2k
07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I also just purchased 4 new tires (Baja Widetracks-made by Firestone)

do you have any photos of them, or a link to what they look like.

I'm about at 66k on my OEM tires and really should buy some new ones soon.

weathermedic
07-20-2005, 11:08 PM
Sorry no pics. If you do a google search for "Baja Widetrack tires" you should come back with several hits to sites that have a description and some pics. You will also get many hits telling you this was one of the Firestone tire lines that was recalled a few years ago for them having blowouts. That scared me, but all those models were different sizes and are no longer a problem.
The price was right, I paid $400 with tax and balancing, new valve stems and NYS fee for disposal (2.50/tire)
I bought them at a local place called King Bear Auto.
If you don't have any luck, let me know and I'll break out the digital camera, take a few pics & send them to you.

Jason

Add your comment to this topic!