Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

gas fume

m300zx
07-13-2005, 10:00 PM
i have a 300zx 91 automatic everyday when i start the car smell gas sometimes last all day, i check the fuel lines under the hood and the fuel filter and looks fine. can someone help me?

probehtr300
07-13-2005, 11:01 PM
whats the temp. like in your area, thats been know to happen when cold temps. make lines shrink and leak but not when its warm. thats probably not it but its worth asking.

ExTrEmEDrIfT
07-14-2005, 12:06 AM
try looking under your tank , tank straps , lines from and to tank...

i know alot of tanks like to rust underneath the tank straps and leak thats what happened on my z31...

RB25DETZ
07-14-2005, 05:58 AM
look at your EVAP. look for leaks, holes, ot hoses that are night on it. I know my Z can smell light gas on a hot day because I don't have EVAP on it

m300zx
07-14-2005, 10:23 AM
the temperature here is around 70's, m from long island n.y.
m going to check under the tank thanks.

another problem a have is the car start cheking a lot, when i waiting in a traffic light moves like massage chair and the lights from the dash blinks. and the motor sound like is going a die and a soons give gas runs good. any idea. i have one of those aftermarket air filter and the fuel filter is like 4 months old.

k3smostwanted
07-14-2005, 06:25 PM
the temperature here is around 70's, m from long island n.y.
m going to check under the tank thanks.

another problem a have is the car start cheking a lot, when i waiting in a traffic light moves like massage chair and the lights from the dash blinks. and the motor sound like is going a die and a soons give gas runs good. any idea. i have one of those aftermarket air filter and the fuel filter is like 4 months old.

might be time for a complete tune-up...when were the spark plugs last changed???

as for the fuel smell...you have to have a fuel leak somewhere. follow all fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay. make sure there are no leaks...

do you have testpipes or the stock cats???

MikeMan
07-16-2005, 04:47 AM
You have an injector leak. Do NOT start the car again because there is a real possibility of having an engine fire which is going to cause a great deal of damage. You'll have to either take it to a mechanic to get him to change the injector, or you're going to have to take the intake manifold off and look for yourself. If you want to do it yourself, have a fire extinguisher handy because the last thing you want is an engine fire.

I had the exact same symptoms when i first got my z31 and I just ignored them. Turned it on one day and smoke was coming out of the bonnet. Opened it and by the time i got some water (also a bad idea for a petrol fire) it had burnt through all the injector wires, the ignition wires and several sensors. Cost over $1k to get it all fixed and back on the road again. Don't get complacent about this.

-Mike

Add your comment to this topic!