Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

A little more bang out of my rodeo?

irupp33
07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Ok im just now going from a 91 eclipse gst turbo to a 1992 rodeo 2wd 5spd with 89k on it. I know it will never be as fast as what i am used 2 but i want to know have any of you noticed signifigant gains from basic mods like a font mount cold air intake or different ignition systems? or even a chip? I have a set of 20 inch rims with 275/35/20 tires to go on here and i know for a fact it will seem way slower then than now. Am i just destined to have to wait for long gaps to pull out into traffic?

amigo-2k
07-12-2005, 10:35 PM
I would assume you have the 3.1L V6, which is a GM engine.

If so there is the normal filter/muffler upgrades that will give you a couple more HP, but there is really nothing out there that will give you huge gains without spending a ton of cash.

irupp33
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Right i know that. Its still stock and yes 3.1 v6. Im gonna try and fab up a front mount CAI and upgrade the exhaust. Just something to counter balance the weight of the 20's

Ramblin Fever
07-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Had a 91, 3.1L V6 myself - LOVED the truck; but yes, in comparison to my 97 3.2L V6, the 91 needed some room for giddy-up. Sometimes I'd forget that, as I mainly drove the 97, and when I'd get in the 91, often wondered just how far I needed to push that gas pedal.

She was a good truck though, very good.

I ran 31x10.50 15" tires with 15x7" wheels OEM, I don't recommend a diameter ANY more than that - granted I did drive an automatic, but still with the weight of the truck alone, and 32" tires, that rig would get to workin.

In town or on a flat highway, she'd move pretty good. Any kind of hills and you were easily up to 4-5K rpm's, that was without any kind of weight in the truck.

Basically, I do not recommend bigger wheels - you're just taxing that engine too much and you definitely will not be taking off like you did in your eclipse.

bighops2000
07-14-2005, 12:47 AM
when i put my 20's on it didnt make it any slower than the factory wheels did but i have a k&N intake on mine and a flow master exhast system and its just louder and a TAD faster. trust me this thing is not made to fly.....unless you want a turbo
check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/712777/4

directory
07-20-2005, 10:30 PM
when i put my 20's on it didnt make it any slower than the factory wheels did but i have a k&N intake on mine and a flow master exhast system and its just louder and a TAD faster. trust me this thing is not made to fly.....unless you want a turbo
check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/712777/4

your truck? that's pretty nice. the black rims set it of nicely. it has a classic look to it.

--B

Add your comment to this topic!