Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine light running rough

buckeyboy
07-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey guy's I have a 97 S-10 blazer and cut holes in the botton of the air cleaner box. Read here on the forum more power. Well after I did that engine light came on and running rough. Taped over the holes and blazer ran good .engine light went out. last night Started running rough again and realized tape came off re-taped but still running rough this time any ideas.

wolfox
07-12-2005, 11:50 AM
Did you drill the holes before or after the filter element?

buckeyboy
07-12-2005, 12:34 PM
Did you drill the holes before or after the filter element? before or else I would be sending unfilterd air into the intake.

BlazerLT
07-12-2005, 02:05 PM
That doesn't make sense.

wolfox
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I am just stumped trying to figure out if it was all coincidental or what. I would make sure that all of your tubes, hoses, air intake parts and sensors are plugged in properly if you have had to remove and replace them in getting your intake out to work on it. Once you have eliminated everything that you think it could be, I would try resetting the computer. If the rough idle and SES light comes back on again, then I would have the codes read. Modifying your intake alone in the manner you described would not do this to the truck.

BlazerLT
07-13-2005, 12:37 AM
Just make sure the drilled holes are symmetrical and evenly spread out.

buckeyboy
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Taped. up holes on the under side of air box before the air filter truck is running good again. waiting to see if light goes out .I let my brother borrow my code reader I will get it tonite and see what code is there. I drilled to large holes in the back side. and one large on the side so maybe the symetrical is the problem . Mass airflow sensor is plugged in and tight checked all plugs and connections. all ok. IF I unblock holes truck messes up again . I'm stumped. TOO much air????? if I give it gas too quickly when the holes are unblocked sounds like backfire.

wolfox
07-13-2005, 12:14 PM
A backfire is usually a sign of timing, fuel and/or ignition issues. I would be interested in hearing what the code is simply because this is the first time I am hearing of a MIL/SES light coming on about an intake mod. There's got to be something ese wrong not at all related to your mod work. Are you sure it is a backfire, or are you experiencing a rough, loping idle that misses under a quick snap of the throttle?

BlazerLT
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
MAF sensor probably doesn't like the change is flow like that out of the blue.

buckeyboy
07-14-2005, 05:49 AM
My Brother could not drop off code reader last night, So I still don't know what the codes are. I think you guys may be right just coisodense because its still messing up. I hope to get code reader tonite. Took out MAF cleaned screen with contact cleaner but still have problem???? starting to piss me off. I will post codes as soon as I get them I appriciate everyones help thanks guys. Oh yea on highway seems to run fine. when I stop smooth for a couple of seconds then starts to run rough. dont know if this helps just thought I would meation it.

buckeyboy
07-14-2005, 05:53 AM
A backfire is usually a sign of timing, fuel and/or ignition issues. I would be interested in hearing what the code is simply because this is the first time I am hearing of a MIL/SES light coming on about an intake mod. There's got to be something ese wrong not at all related to your mod work. Are you sure it is a backfire, or are you experiencing a rough, loping idle that misses under a quick snap of the throttle? No its a pop pop pop it responds to a quick snap of the throttle I also now believe it is not related see my next post about codes thans wolfox will keep ya posted. :uhoh: :uhoh: :screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!