Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

4L60E P1870 error and Shift Kit HELP!

RTICWOLF
07-12-2005, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone!

I have now encountered the harsh 1-2 shift three times (over about 3 months) and then it just goes away, but I never received the SES light until this past weekend when it happened again. Now, of course, I have the P1870 code (comes up twice actually for some reason). I also have the common surging in overdrive when you have the slight load on the engine and driving at about 45-55 MPH (been that way since I have had the truck at 59k, current mileage 90k).

I have read many threads and info on the Internet about the many 4L60E issues and fixes and have decided to go with installing a TransGo Shift Kit. I believe from everything I have read that this is the best solution instead of just installing the Sonnex TCC with boring out the valve body. The TransGo HD2 kit seems to be the most complete kit out there, fixes the issues with the 1-2 shift and surging, and allows for 3 different stages when installing.

So, now here are my questions:

1) I have never worked on transmissions and I am not sure I should attempt to do this myself, but every trans shop I have contacted in the Denver area says they do not recommend a shift kit and actually want to rebuild my trans from around $1600-$2400 and that is only standard parts! I have been told numerous times that the only way to fix the P1870 code is to remove the trans and rebuild it. I know that is crap, but does anyone know of a trans shop in the Denver area that will just install the shift kit? I would even consider someone wanting to earn side money that knows how to do this.
2) Is there anything else I should consider instead of a shift kit? Better or easier solution?
3) What stage should I go with for my stock trans? After all I read, I figured Stage 2 programming would be best for me.

Please, I really would like some help on this, any experience or ideas are most welcome.
Thanks in advance!

Arrowshooter
07-12-2005, 11:56 AM
Of course those guys want to rebuild your trans. I went with the TransGo Stage 2 and the Corvett Servo and had a "small" shop do the work. He did everything for $150 plus parts. You should be able to find someone around that will help you out. I did watch the whole process though and would try it myself. Just have to take your time and follow the directions. When you install the new valve springs you can visually check the valves for ware. Good luck.

RTICWOLF
07-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Check the valve springs for wear? What do I look for? I also have heard of the Corvette Servo, what will that do for me?

I would love to find a small shop to do the work, but so far nobody I have called in Denver seems interested in the work. I did get one shop that said they would do it, but said the TransGo kit was like $400 for parts!!! I found it on eBay for $80.....but they did say they would do it for 2 1/2 hours labor at $75 an hour, so the labor was at least reasonable, but they would not use my parts if I bought them.

Any other ideas out there?

Arrowshooter
07-12-2005, 05:27 PM
You would actually be looking for wear, or gauling, on the valves themselves, or the valve body. You take these valves out when you put in the new springs.
The servo gives you firmer shifts. Along with the "shift kit" your trans will work a whole lot better. You will notice the diff.

jethro_3
07-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Consider a tune after you get the trans done. The PCM controls so much of the Torque Management, line pressures, rpm shift point, and the amount of time spent in shift. Adjusting these accordingly can make the 4L60E so much more driver friendly. I put the corvette servo and a tune from Nelson in my truck and now it shifts fast, smooth in normal driving, and hard(Not Harsh) in wide open throttle. The time it used to take to downshift and 2-3 shift was appaling. Now it gets it done and does not loose power and speed during a shift. Point being go the extra step and also gain the mpg from the tune.

ColoradoSilverado
09-19-2005, 06:06 AM
Check the valve springs for wear? What do I look for? I also have heard of the Corvette Servo, what will that do for me?

I would love to find a small shop to do the work, but so far nobody I have called in Denver seems interested in the work. I did get one shop that said they would do it, but said the TransGo kit was like $400 for parts!!! I found it on eBay for $80.....but they did say they would do it for 2 1/2 hours labor at $75 an hour, so the labor was at least reasonable, but they would not use my parts if I bought them.

Any other ideas out there?
Hi RTICWOLF, did you fix yours yet ? I just bought the shiftkit and i'm planning to install it coming weekend myself. I live just north of Denver, let me know if you want to do yours maybe we can tackle it together.

Bert

Rollingbones
09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
1) I have never worked on transmissions and I am not sure I should attempt to do this myself, but every trans shop I have contacted in the Denver area says they do not recommend a shift kit and actually want to rebuild my trans from around $1600-$2400 and that is only standard parts! I have been told numerous times that the only way to fix the P1870 code is to remove the trans and rebuild it. !

Try going to the Transgo site on line (Google can find it for you) and see if they have a recommended shop in your area. I'm planning on the same thing eventually. I live in Sacramento, but found a shop in Stockton. When the time comes, I'll just make a day of it and take her down there and have someone do it who's heart is in it!!

jethro_3
09-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Be careful what they say they will do. I went to a shop and they promised the world and then they would only do what GM spec orig, no synthetic, no servo, no kit.... Let me say this AAMCO sucks Balls and I gave them more than shit when I took a work day off to let people and the better business beareu know that they Promised me those parts and would not install them... :thefinger :thefinger

Go to a performance shop and ask who they recommend.

White Lightening
09-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I put the corvette servo and a tune from Nelson in my truck and now it shifts fast, smooth in normal driving, and hard(Not Harsh) in wide open throttle. The time it used to take to downshift and 2-3 shift was appaling. Now it gets it done and does not loose power and speed during a shift. Point being go the extra step and also gain the mpg from the tune.

Jethro - maybe you'd be better off stating "I put the corvette servo and a Nelson tune in my past truck". Sleeper is pure stock - isn't it? :smile: :smile: :smile:

White Lightening

jethro_3
09-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Jethro - maybe you'd be better off stating "I put the corvette servo and a Nelson tune in my past truck". Sleeper is pure stock - isn't it? :smile: :smile: :smile:

White Lightening

At the time of that posting I owned the '01. Now it adds the new signature to the old posts and it gets hard to tell which truck I had unless you know I bought this one recently....

Would be hard to edit all my 600+ postings to reflect a vehicle change. :banghead: ...

White Lightening
09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
At the time of that posting I owned the '01. Now it adds the new signature to the old posts and it gets hard to tell which truck I had unless you know I bought this one recently....

Would be hard to edit all my 600+ postings to reflect a vehicle change. :banghead: ...

Yep - I didn't notice the date - a "senior" moment :smile:

White Lightening

Rollingbones
09-19-2005, 10:25 AM
The mind is the second thing to go!!!

White Lightening
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
The mind is the second thing to go!!!

Well - out of the three possibilities - for me its eyes, mind, and ......... :smile:

White Lightening

Add your comment to this topic!