Anyone know of a good roof rack for the Z32?

kublah
07-11-2005, 07:16 PM
I've always loved the 300zx, and I've got my eye on a 2 seater but I've come to the conclusion that there is no practical way to get my snowboard in it.

Can anyone recommend a product that would solve my problem?

DeleriousZ
07-11-2005, 07:24 PM
maybe not taking the z up snowy salty roads would be the plan.. i'm sure you could fit it in the passenger seat if you had to... besides, roofracks look goofy on z's... if there are even any out there

kublah
07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
I live in Southern California, and they don't salt the roads in what few places do see snow. Most of the places I go to have clear roads to them 99% of the time, so I'm not really worried about it. And I'm looking for something that I could strap on just when I needed it so it wouldn't be on the car looking goofy all the time.

The passenger seat really isn't an option as it would typically be occupied...

Broke_as_****
07-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Go to an exhaust shop or any place where they do custom welding. Explain to them what you are trying to do and they can probably make something up fairly cheap that can clip on to a door frame or something.

What year Z is it?

kublah
07-11-2005, 07:34 PM
It's a 91.

Broke_as_****
07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Perhaps something that slips down into the space between the hatch and the roof and then clips onto the front of the roof panels or something.

kublah
07-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Perhaps...

After looking around a little bit more apparently there was an OEM ski rack available as an option. Kinda ugly but it would get the job done. If only I could find one of those...

probehtr300
07-12-2005, 12:25 AM
i snowboard and i just folded the passenger seat down and put it in the hatch sticking out over the passenger seat.

Broke_as_****
07-12-2005, 12:27 AM
i snowboard and i just folded the passenger seat down and put it in the hatch sticking out over the passenger seat.

The passenger seat really isn't an option as it would typically be occupied...

Where did you hear about the factory rack option? I'd like to see how they did it.

kublah
07-12-2005, 04:25 AM
I found a link to an old brochure or something on another forum but I can't find it now. The picture wasn't very detailed but it was basically a straight bar rack like most others that attached to the sides of the roof panels in the absence of rain gutters on the car. From the way it was described though it sounded like it might only be a JDM thing. I'll keep looking for the link and post it if I run across it.

After a little bit more looking around it seems that Barrecrafters (http://www.barrecrafters.com/) makes a similar ski/snowboard rack that will fit the Z32. If I do buy this car, which I have very nearly talked myself into doing, I might check one of these out if I don't run across anything else that looks good.

Add your comment to this topic!