Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Jimmy spark plugs

johnhutchinsusa
07-11-2005, 12:57 PM
What is the best way to change the center plug on the drivers side in a 2000 Jimmy V6? Steering column is in the way, I didn't want to get too rough with it before asking some one.
Thanks!

blazee
07-11-2005, 01:17 PM
In case you haven't noticed yet it is easier to access all of the plugs through the wheel well. As for plug #3, two ways:

You can remove the intermediate steering shaft, it only has one bolt holding it and then it will collapse within itself out of the way.

Or you can buy one of these:
http://www.weberchevrolet.com/service/tech/wrench.jpg

harlancountian
07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
When I did mine, I used a spark plug socket with a stubby wrench on the end od the socket. I also had to use a screwdriver wedged to turn the wrench. After several knucklebuster different methods, I found that was the best method. Didn't lose any skin using that method.

blazee
07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
I've done it like that before....you must have small hands. :) I got scratched up pretty good. It does work, but there are better ways.

I've also heard a guy say that he puts a jack under the engine and lifts it up just enough to clear the shaft. He said it works good for him, but I have reservations about putting that much pressure on the oil pan.

b1gs3xy
07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
I just did mine. I wasn't sure how to move the steering shaft, and I didn't see how removing the tire and going through the wheel well would work because when I have a socket on it, it was almost touching the steering shaft dead center. So all I did was use a socket that you could put a 3/4 wrench on the end and reached inside and went from underneath and broke it loose, then turned it out by hand. It was really easy actually. It took like 1 minute, and I didn't have to move or take off anything. The new plug went in easy also and was able to tighten it. you have about 4 inches of space to move if you have the wrench under the steering shaft, don't try from the top there is no room. I have big arms and hands and I didn't have any problem. Also I have a 95, so I am not sure if its identicle.

Question I have is that I read that on my 95 Jimmy Vortec (W) to gap at .045 then I was reading in here somewhere about .060 What is correct or what is the best? All my plugs are already changed and gapped at .045. Thanks, Rob.

1995JimmyLT
07-11-2005, 10:21 PM
Well according to my Haynes manual, the 1995 4.3L engine requires .045 gap.

demotim00
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I have a 94 with the 4.3L CPI (engine code w) and I have mine gapped at .045, and I know the ones that were in there(by the previous owner) was also gapped the same, so I am fairly positive that the gap of .045 is correct.

b1gs3xy
07-12-2005, 06:21 PM
thanks, I was just wondering because there is another post somewhere in here saying that the dealers are suggesting .060. I haven't been able to start my truck since I put the new plugs in yet because I have it torn apart for the CPI repair.

demotim00
07-12-2005, 10:01 PM
yea i understand that, but i do believe .045 will do u good, because thats what the old plugs in mine were, and thats what i gapped my new ones at(a little over a week ago) and i have been driving it every day and havent had a problem, except til yesterday when the cpi i had installed went bad so i had to take it back to the shop for them to replace it again, this time for free. i have heard the .060 gap before on jimmy's, however if im not mistaken thats for the older 4.3's in the 80's, i could be wrong though.

Add your comment to this topic!