More 01 Rodeo problems

weathermedic
07-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Okay guys, here's the story (I have 49,000 miles on it): I've had the IMG changed more than a year ago. Had the EGR valve changed back in March. Do oil changes every 3-4,000 miles. Changed the fuel filter back at 37,000 miles.
It's been having intermittent rough startups (when cold/sitting idle for 6-8 hours, even when the outside temp is in the 60's-70's) where engine will sputter for first few seconds, then rev up normal and run fine.
This afternoon, I got home from work which is about a 15 mile drive (it was about 90 degrees) with the A/C on, all was fine. I parked for about 30 minutes then went to start it up again & put the A/C on. It started, but was running rough. Next thing I know the "reduced power" and "check engine" lights came on. The engine barely had a any power even when I pressed all the way down on the gas pedal. I let it sit (turned off) for about 4 hours. I then restarted it. It started okay, but the check engine light is still on.
Any ideas?

Jason in NYC

amigo-2k
07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
get the codes read.

Also it could be an electrical issue. Clean up the battery terminals and the grounding points. Isuzu's do weird things with weak electrical systems.

weathermedic
07-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Battery terminals are clean. Battery shows 14.1-14.3 volts.
Am planning on taking it to my usual local dealer tomorrow.

Jason

weathermedic
07-11-2005, 07:59 AM
Got to the dealer with the check engine light on the whole way (about 15 miles) I made a stop at work (10 blocks away from the dealer) for a few minutes. When I started it up again, of course the check eng light was NOT on. I took it to the dealer anuway. I'm sure they will say “everything checks out okay” I will post an update later.

Jason

amigo-2k
07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
CEL codes are stored for about 40 restarts.

rodeo02
07-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Jason, that is a tough one w/out knowing the codes. I would suspect maybe a low system voltage thing once she's hot, or maybe a throttle by wire issue given the symptoms you describe. As far as that little hesitation thing on a cold take-off, my 2002 has done that since brand new. It's never gotten any worse or thrown a code, so I never persued it :headshake . I would definately check for codes & post them here before you go to the dealer if you can. Hit up an Autozone for that.
G/luck
Joel

weathermedic
07-11-2005, 10:00 PM
Okay, here's what the codes were (hope I got the numbers right)
1. P0125: Throttle position sensor. Dealer (after I made him call customer relations) agreed to install that one under the 10/120k warranty.
2. P0121: (Accelerator) pedal position sensor. I was informed this is an "electronic" item and not covered by the 10/120k warranty. I verified this myself by calling Isuzu's 800 number and talking to someone (although who knows if what they are telling me is true)
My local dealer has neither of these in stock. I told him to order the TPS since it is under warranty and I will get the PPS through St Charles. They are selling it for $60 less ($140) then my dealer! Dealer told me it would be about 2 hours labor to install it ($90/hr labor charge) so, it should cost me about $320 after all is said and done. They originally told me it would be about $680 for both sensors installed!
Dealer said he wouldn't get the TPS until early next week. I was told by St Charles that I should get the PPS by the end of this week with FREE shipping. My dealer said it doesn't make sense to put one in without the other since they have to reset the computer in the Rodeo.
This means I have to "roll the dice" everytime I start the vehicle up after it has been running for a while to see if it runs on "reduced power" which seems more like 3 out of 6 cylinders and renders the Rodeo pretty much useless. It did it again to me this afternoon, after I came back from the dealer and shut it down for about 45 minutes. I had to restart it 3 times until the "reduced power" light went off and it was running okay although the CEL light remains on.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress (I hope it is progress) on this problem.

Jason

rodeo02
07-11-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm not sure what's involved with a PPS r/r. You might want to make sure it's do-able for you. This is exactly why the throttle by wire system scares the heck out of me! :uhoh:
G/luck
Joel

rodeo02
07-11-2005, 11:09 PM
You've got a really good dealer if they agreed to cover the TPS for you! Maybe they squeezed it under the "gasoline fuel injection equipment"? Either way.. They are a keeper!
Here's the 10yr/120K warranty link: http://www.isuzu.com/images/Ow/warranty_10year.gif

G/luck
Joel

amigo-2k
07-12-2005, 12:25 AM
I had this replaced:

P0121: (Accelerator) pedal position sensor

on mine at about 7k.

Tespin
07-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I had similar problems and it ended up being a broken wiring harness cost me $700 bucks for a new one installed.

weathermedic
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Just received the accelerator pedal position sensor from St. Charles Isuzu (they drop shipped it from Isuzu parts headquarters in Ohio) today. Earliest appointment with the dealer to have that and the throttle position sensor installed is Tue (7/19)
Can someone explain to me what the accelerator pedal position sensor does? I can't find a listing for it in the Haynes repair manual, although it does list the tps.
Thanks.

Jason

Add your comment to this topic!