Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99' Blazer Shocks

czm400r
07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Has anyone installed the Monroe Reflex shocks on their Blazer. I have heard good things from two differant Mechanics and was thinking about getting them. I have 115K miles on my truck and was told by the dealer that rotates my tires that the factory ones are still fine. I want going to change them before I have the signs of bad shocks. There is a place by me that will install the Monroe Reflex (all 4) for about $250.

BlazerLT
07-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Has anyone installed the Monroe Reflex shocks on their Blazer. I have heard good things from two differant Mechanics and was thinking about getting them. I have 115K miles on my truck and was told by the dealer that rotates my tires that the factory ones are still fine. I want going to change them before I have the signs of bad shocks. There is a place by me that will install the Monroe Reflex (all 4) for about $250.

Save your money, if the shocks are still good, it would be stupid to replace something that is working perfectly fine.

Stock shocks are excellent.

ad6kb
07-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Yep, sure did (on my old 95 Blazer). They worked really well on road and off (ranch roads and such). I no longer have that car, but those shocks seemed really good to me

Tim

ad6kb
07-11-2005, 05:43 PM
Thats a pretty fair price too.

s10blazerman4x4
07-11-2005, 06:55 PM
I have them on the front on my blazer seem to be pretty good.

rlith
07-11-2005, 08:26 PM
I run those right now. 25 a piece with free installation at NTB (otherwise I would have just installed them myself). I've been pretty happy with them.

bigry2004
07-12-2005, 05:01 PM
I am not a mechanic by any means, but i have more than just common knowledge... but how can you tell if the stock shocks are still good? i have 150k miles and its a 97 4X4 but at Tuffy getting an Oil Change done, the mechanic stating it was "just his job" to tell me these things, said i could use new shocks and that they are eating away at the tire? i thought.. well yeah i COULD use new everything, but i thought i would check here to see if he might have been just trying to sell.

ALSO, how often is a tranny flush/fluid replacement necessary? he said the fluid was reddish brown and looked like it hadnt been flushed before. this is probably a must-do soon, right?

Thanks for all the help..

hunter01
07-12-2005, 07:07 PM
On my 91 blazer I had uneven tire wear on my front tires. The inside edges of the tires were wearing faster than the rest. I thought this was an alignment problem but the mechanic said I needed new front shocks. He installed new shocks rotated the tires and the problem was fixed.

dmbrisket 51
07-12-2005, 07:09 PM
if your at 150k a tranny flush is a good thing... you know your shocks are bad because you will bounce several times instead of just once or twice on the big bumps

czm400r
07-16-2005, 05:21 PM
I think I found the knocking noise in my front end. It seems to be coming from one of the new shocks I had a local dealer install (Monroe Reflex). If I hold my hand on the shock body and move the car up and down a little I get the knocking sound and feel it very strongly in the shock. I then noticed that the installer dented and scraped up the shock tube trying to get it into place. Are there things inside that move up and down that can be hitting the dent which cause the clunk or knocking sound and feel???
When I called the repair shop they appologized for the lack of quality and promised to look at it first thing in the morning.

BlazerLT
07-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Yea, it would cause it.

wolfox
07-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Yep, a dent in the tube can restrict movement of the piston inside of it. Get it checked ASAP and see if they will cover the cost of the new shock too. Having installed plenty of my own, it's not hard to do and there is no excuse to damage one in the process of installation. Gas charged shocks can be a little tougher to install. Once the band over them is released, they slowly expand with internal pressure - and once extended, impossible to muscle into place. Usually one mounts the bottom of the shock, cuts the band and guides the upper mount into place as it lifts itself up into place. He may have gotten into a little trouble if he did not realize this until it was too late and had to "beat on it" to get it to go in. As I said, no excuse, indeed have them look at the work and replace the part on their dime for the damage.

Add your comment to this topic!