Oil results with Rotella after 900 miles

Ramblin Fever
07-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Was going to just change filter, but after taking filter off, realized that the oil out of the filter smelled highly of fuel.

Dropped all of the oil, after 900 miles, it seems it had a lot to clean out. Didn't burn a drop, and it's still very light in color, but was becoming diluted with fuel. I think it's been cleaning up the internals pretty good, and at this point, I'm not worried about a fuel injector leaking, as this truck has been known to have it's share of idling in the past.

So, even with every 3k mile oil/filter changes, after 100K I guess one will always have gunk in the motor that just needs to be cautiously cleaned out - my choice was to run a heavy duty diesel/gas engine oil.

I'm now going to put in Havoline synthetic, 5w-30.

And for what it's worth, the "tick" is a LOT softer, in fact, the only time I hear it is on start-up. Can't believe the difference.

bighops2000
07-11-2005, 12:44 AM
what kinda filter are you running and where was your tick coming from specifically. mine sounds kinda like its coming from the top of the engine

Ramblin Fever
07-11-2005, 09:18 AM
OEM Isuzu filter.

Gotta say my noise is not really a "tick" per say, more like a "tappety-tap" sound, coming morely from the passenger side of the truck. You can't rightly hear it with the hood open either, it's coming more out the wheel well.

But it does seem to be effected by the different oils/viscosities.

I can say that it's not effecting performance.

Add your comment to this topic!