Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Krylon Crystal Clear over TS-30

mozli
07-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I did the above and.....aahhhhhh! the krylon "ate" my TS-30...i searched prior to spraying the krylon on the forum and found that people have used it over Tamiya TS with no prob but........now it looks like it "took away" the paint from the panel lines and around and faded the color..... What happened????
I tried to take a photo but my camera sucks, here it is anyway...
http://img248.echo.cx/img248/5886/350z37cg.jpg

Thanks, Roy

proosen
07-11-2005, 02:42 AM
That happens with TS-13 to so I don't think it's a Krylonproblem. To thick layers and to eager to get the following layers on. At least I beleive that's the problem, I had this problem too on my latest build and that was all Tamiya spraycans put on to fast I think. The problem is that the base coats go on very thin on edges and around panel lines and the clear eats through very easy on this areas. Some guys use an airbrush to put on the base coats and that makes is easier to put extra paint on these areas providing thicker layers that isn't affected as easily as with an all spray can paint job.

Niclas

klutz_100
07-11-2005, 03:32 AM
That happens with TS-13 to so I don't think it's a Krylonproblem. To thick layers and to eager to get the following layers on. At least I beleive that's the problem, I had this problem too on my latest build and that was all Tamiya spraycans put on to fast I think. The problem is that the base coats go on very thin on edges and around panel lines and the clear eats through very easy on this areas. Some guys use an airbrush to put on the base coats and that makes is easier to put extra paint on these areas providing thicker layers that isn't affected as easily as with an all spray can paint job.

Niclas

:iagree:

That just about sums it up, I think :)

I had the same issue with Tamiya clear over TS. I think the basic rules that I'm going to apply to my builds in future are:
a) Do I REALLY need to clear if it's not metallic
b) If yes, then TEST first! Now I am going to always spray some scrap parts at the same time as I spray the body so that I will have something to test on each time
c) Spray LIGHT COATS at first and build up slowly - thick coats of clear seem to dissolve paint better that CSC or DOT4 :)
d) NEVER TRUST CLEARS - always treat them with respect, they are the devil's seed

just my :2cents: based on VERY limited experience but HTH

mickbench
07-11-2005, 06:26 AM
I did the very same thing. Too thick on the clear coats, ruined a Mica Blue paint job once.

You have to mist many of the coats of clear, then build up the coverage. By the time you have 6 odd mist coats, and waited for the last mist to be dried totally, then hit it with a final wet.

I hate clear coating. I tend to only do it if required.

mozli
07-11-2005, 06:50 AM
Thank guys!!
I have to say i hate clear also but thats why i've stated it's TS-30 so you guys know that i had no choice...metallic stuff :)
I have painted all layers as thin as possible so i probably gotta do better...i sprayed some duplicolor silver on the messed up paintjob just to see what happens and it looks decent, i admit i dont wanna strip it down..not now atleast :)
I've been working on a BB512 at the same time and it was painted with Duplicolor Gold, just before i hit the 350Z with the Krylon I did the BB512 and it turned out ok, the duplicolor gold didnt even mind the krylon...

Proosen> thanks for the explanation

Stevenski> limited expreience or not mate, i dont miss any of your builds and i try to learn from you!

Mickbench> next clear gonna be six mist coats ;)

RoY

Add your comment to this topic!