Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Light legality

miata1.6
07-10-2005, 01:23 AM
I just put some new headlights on my car and they are great.They came with some little blue lights that go inside the headlight that you could hook up to your side marker light or something.i drilled a hole in my blinker where another light could go and it is seperate from the blinker.Its blue.is that legal?I am in Tennessee.I still have amber blinker and everything.just a blue light right next to it.looks kinda cool.Pretty ricey but cool.

drdisque
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
the blue light is fine if it doesn't ACTUALLY light up, but if it lights up and shows blue, then its illegal

miata1.6
07-14-2005, 12:33 AM
what would happen if I get pulled over for them?

jaybratt
07-17-2005, 05:18 PM
I got pulled over in washington because I had replaced my corners with clear lenses and blue bulbs. I gave the cop a story that I had bought super whites and didn't know they would look so blue. i also told him that I had changed the lense from amber to clear just the day before. He let me off but told me to turn it to an amber bulb as soon as possible. They may ticket you, but will probably just tell you to fix it.

Since we are on the subject does anyone run clear blinkers in the rear??? I have them in the front and have gotten away with it, but wonder about the back.

kcg795
07-18-2005, 02:02 AM
Why do they even sell those types of lights if they're not legal?

4trackmixtape
07-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Since we are on the subject does anyone run clear blinkers in the rear??? I have them in the front and have gotten away with it, but wonder about the back.

I had some blue-tinted whites in my rear blinkers and got popped within four days of having them in. I'm in Washington as well and the law is only red or amber in the rear, white or amber up front.

PBking82
07-20-2005, 01:56 PM
Why do they even sell those types of lights if they're not legal?

Becuase Aftermarket companies are trying to make as much money as possible of off the consumer. Almost all aftermarket lights (i.e. neon, led, etc...) come with a disclaimer either on the box or in the instructions that say something to the effect of check local laws or DOT laws, or for offroad use only. Peace-

Add your comment to this topic!