Gas Mileage with a 2004 Chevy 2500 LD ¾ 6.0 Liter with 3.73 Gears

crcmu93
07-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I bought my 2004 Chevy in August of 04 and I have not been happy with the gas mileage while driving or towing with it. I assumed that I would get around 12 to 13 in town and 13-16 on the highway. Around town, I am getting 10 to 11 and on the highway 12 or 13. While towing a 30ft or my new 34ft travel trailer, I get 7 or 8 and that is it. Also, the engine seems to lack power…..

I would expect this type of mileage out of the 8.1 and not the 6.0. I have been to 4 different GM dealers and each gives a different excuse, but offers no answers. I have 3 family members that have ¾ GM trucks with 6.0’s, 1-LD identical to mine, 2 –HD’s with 4.10 gears, each get the type of mileage I would expect.

Can anyone offer any advice, on either aftermarket changes (chips, air intake, etc) or dealing with GM? At this point, I am very sorry I didn’t get the diesel.

Thanks,

pbergmann
07-09-2005, 11:52 AM
hey,
your really not doing that bad. I have the 6.0 w/4.10 and what i found is if i watch the starts, coast to stops i can greatly change my mileage. You dont have to drive like an old man but i think its all in the starts. I pull an 8k lb trailer and i get the mileage you describe. If you did the math on the desel you would have to drive for 250k mikes to pay for the $5k extra. plus all the increased maintenance costs. I personnaly shy away from any aftermarket stuff / mods. If you look at the posts for a few years, you will see a trend of people changing stuff, then months later writing back on how they have different problems. not to mention messing with the warrantee.example: K&N filters = oil on the sensor and now driveability issues. 160 degree thermostats and now the emmissions system gives trouble and error messages. Switch out radios and now you lost door chimes ect. just read, the root problem is that the original design was altered. I will probably get shot by this but it needs to be said. do what you want just be prepared for the consequences.

jethro_3
07-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Two words, Nelson Performance. Do a search on this site for yourself and go to his website. GM sets the truck up to meet the wants of women and the not hauling anything mode(biggest buyers in the SUV/Truck market). Tuning the engine within GM parameters can gain you mpg and hp along with the driveability. Also a tune does not void any warrenty. Why would GM sell software to tune the engine and void your warrenty????? Do your homework and ASK QUESTIONS. Why settle for something that your not happy with????

Rollingbones
07-09-2005, 02:28 PM
OK, I'll bite. Is the "Nelson Tune Up" unique to a manufacturer of specific parts, a particular shop? Can this be done in Sacramento, CA (I believe the site indicated they're in San Antonio, but I could be wrong)? Is it something you can order and install yourself? Also, an above post mentioned something about the K&N Air Filter leaving oil on the 02 sensor (I already know it uses the oil treament). Is this something which needs to be cleaned periodically and if so how often? Thanks!!

White Lightening
07-09-2005, 03:30 PM
I bought my 2004 Chevy in August of 04 and I have not been happy with the gas mileage while driving or towing with it. I assumed that I would get around 12 to 13 in town and 13-16 on the highway. Around town, I am getting 10 to 11 and on the highway 12 or 13. While towing a 30ft or my new 34ft travel trailer, I get 7 or 8 and that is it. Also, the engine seems to lack power…..

I would expect this type of mileage out of the 8.1 and not the 6.0. I have been to 4 different GM dealers and each gives a different excuse, but offers no answers. I have 3 family members that have ¾ GM trucks with 6.0’s, 1-LD identical to mine, 2 –HD’s with 4.10 gears, each get the type of mileage I would expect.

Can anyone offer any advice, on either aftermarket changes (chips, air intake, etc) or dealing with GM? At this point, I am very sorry I didn’t get the diesel.

Thanks,

Greetings CRCMU93,

Below are a couple of thread links you might want to refer to for answers and ideas provided by many other readers.

1. Gas mileage is determined by little things (tire pressures and clean air filters and good quality gas) - as well as bigger things (like Nelson Tuning chips, axle ratios (your 3.73 is a GOOD thing). And then there is the human factor.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=335161

2. Nelson and Westers tuning chips can be designed and mailed to you if that is of interest. Here's not only how to get ahold of them - but what others say about them. 2 threads - 2 different directions.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=355650

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=403748

Reading the above three threads won't give you all the answers and all the ideas - but alot of people participated in them - with their ideas, knowledge, and experiences. Hope this helps your needs.

Add your comment to this topic!