jumpy oil pressure gauge and over heating

matemk
07-08-2005, 03:38 AM
Today when driving my engine over heated with out me even knowing it, it stayed at the same temp while driving and when i stopped and turned the engine off and back on it was in the red. and before that the oil pressure gauge was jumping all over the place, down to 0 up to 110 and everywhere in between, so after i added some water to the radiatior and cooled off the engine the guage seemed to be broke cause it was staying at 0 but occasionally jumping up to about half way then back to zero depending on how much gas i gave it. then the check tranny light came back on putting me back into Limp Mode. anyone have any ideas on why the temp guage didnt tell me it was over heating and why the oil pressure guage is doing what it is doing??? please help and thanks in advance

Ramblin Fever
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Is this on the 92 Isuzu Rodeo from your profile? I'm assuming the 3.1L V6 engine?

What's your mileage?

Do you know for sure if your truck DID in fact overheat, or just the gauges wiggin out?

How hold/what condition is that serpentine belt in? Alternator?

matemk
07-08-2005, 12:06 PM
yes it is the 92 3.1 engine, its got 151000 miles on it , i bought the car from a guy and im not sure what all has been replaced on it but by the looks of it the alternator is new, yeah the engine did over heat, it was pouring out smoke when we stopped, the radiator was bone dry, the belt does need to be replaced.

matemk
07-08-2005, 04:43 PM
ok i might have figured out the problem, huge gash in the radiator, at the very bottom, leaking out everything put in, now my question is, does the radiator have any affect on the oil pressure guage???

Canucklehead
07-08-2005, 06:24 PM
ok i might have figured out the problem, huge gash in the radiator, at the very bottom, leaking out everything put in, now my question is, does the radiator have any affect on the oil pressure guage???

If you have water leaking out of the bottom of the radiator it may be grounding the oil pressure sensor which is pretty much right behind the rad.

matemk
07-08-2005, 09:07 PM
good information, now with that in mind, would that also cause the check tranny light to come on and put the tranny into limp mode???

Ramblin Fever
07-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Fix that serpentine belt as well, and go from there.

Add your comment to this topic!