Sea Foam and Auto-RX

marcre
07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Over the last year+ that I have owned my Rodeo I have had oil consumption issues. Nothing too bad, but annoying to me. Sometimes it would burn a qt between changes, sometimes more and sometimes less.

In April I changed my oil (Mobil 5000 10w 30) and used sea foam. I was impressed. consumption seemed down, untill I did a lot of highway driving over a 36 hour period. Almost a qt in that time. My joy turned to anger very quick. So, with less than 2000 miles on the oil, I did the sea foam again. I also switched to 5w 30 Valvoline high mileage. This was about 3-4 weeks ago. Not a single drop of oiul burned that I can tell, yet.

I have been reading the BITOG forums a lot lately, and Auto-RX seams to be all the rage. They had a sale on it, so why not. I bought it Monday. Got it today and poured it in. I was curious to see what it an do. I really am not expecting much, but as long as it doesn't hurt the Rodeo, I will be happy. Truth is, I love my Rodeo, but when it burned all that oil in a matter of a day and a half, it scared me. I am almost afraid to drive long distances. I need it to be reliable. Hopefully this helps, I will not be doing two treatments of it though.

The point of this thread; I will let you all know what I think of it. Also, if any of you tried it, post your opinions here so I know. On BITOG there is a thread about user results, the majority liked it, but there were some unhappy customers as well.

Marc

Cat Fuzz
07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't understand how using an engine flush could cut down on oil burning problems. If you're losing oil, its either leaking out or getting burned because its getting past the rings or down thru the valve seals/guides. No amount of flushing will restore worn parts.

marcre
07-07-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't understand how using an engine flush could cut down on oil burning problems. If you're losing oil, its either leaking out or getting burned because its getting past the rings or down thru the valve seals/guides. No amount of flushing will restore worn parts.

not leaking any oil. But I am thinking I have some sludge build up, that once removed will allow the oil to flow properly. It definately burns less than before. I am trying to get it as clean as possible, which hopefully will cut down on consumption. I don't expect to get consumption down to nothing, but any improvement is good.

I don't believe in the miracle snake oil, but I do believe these products can help certain situations. I also believe these problems the 98+ 3.2 have can be helped. I remember reading Amigo2k saying he has used sea foam since day one, and has no consumption issues. There is something to that, because from my reading and research, it seems most of us have a problem with it. When ever I see someone with a Rodeo of my year, I ask them. Every time they say they burn oil.

Like I said though, if it helps it helps, if not, well then, I spent some money and learned a lesson. But, reading all the reviews of people who use Auto-RX and seeing how they are happy. It is worth a shot. At best I get a boost in MPG and a smoother engine, and less consumption. At worst, I wasted money, but not a lot. I am actually curious too, I want to see what it can do.

Marc

anthonyn
07-08-2005, 01:34 AM
I found that seafoam as a combustion cleaner (sucked thru the pcv hose) reduces oil consumption more than in the oil. By cleaning out the drain holes in the rings it dropped my oil consumption to zero for awhile. Over time, the problem comes back and you have to do the whole thing again. I think just before a 3k mile oil change is a good time to do it.

Ramblin Fever
07-08-2005, 10:15 AM
Let me tell you, if mine was burning/using oil like that, I'd be willing to try the Auto/RX, specially if it continues on a safe track record. I see no harm in trying it for any engine, it either will help or it won't.

I too have thought about it, with my "tick", but I'm slowly finding the right track in soothing it. And, in comparison to other "tickers" (a.k.a Isuzu's) in my county, I have nothing to be "ticked" about!

Keep us posted!

marcre
07-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Auto-RX has only been in there a week, but there is no oil burn-off yet. This is probably due to the previous Sea Foam treatments. Regardless, I am happy. The oil (Valvoline Max Life) still looks brand new as well. I like the oil so far, but after the rinse phase of the Auto-RX, I may switch to Mobil 1. Not sure yet, but I saw some great prices on it at wall-mart (1st time I have ever been there, what a zoo) and the 5qt jugs it comes in are nice. They would make returning the oil easy. 5qt jug of Mobil 1 is under $20. The 5qt jug of Valvoline Max Life is under $9. Those are some great pricess.

Marc

Ramblin Fever
07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't do too many oil flushes to close together, especially with different products. Give the seals a chance to recondition from the previous oil flush.

Just my .02

Ramblin Fever
07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't do too many oil flushes to close together, especially with different products. Give the seals a chance to recondition from the previous oil flush.

Just my .02

marcre
07-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Not going to do too many flushes. It would be a waste of good oil. The oil in there now has been there for a month at least. I am going to follow the Auto-RX directions and take the oil with treatment to 1500 miles. that will mean the oil will have a little over 2000 miles on it. Then I will do the rinse phase for about 2500 miles. After that I may switch to synthetic. Not really sure.

I know a lot of people love the synthetic, but there are so many engines out there that got nothing but regular oil their whole life and last for ever. I am going to take the next few months to decide.

I am willing to try anything to decrease consumption. Hopefully I am making progress.

Marc

marcre
07-20-2005, 05:03 PM
After another week with the autorx in there and the max-life, not any noticeable oil useage. The oil has been in there close to two months. Again, for the record, the previous two oil changes got a sea foam treatment to the crank case. I am happy though, at the very least, consumption is down.

Marc

wb4lbg
07-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Marc,

Can you describe what you did when you used the Seafoam in your oil? I am most interested in when you added the stuff and when you drained the oil. I have read of people leaving it in there and driving with the thinner oil but that sounds a little scary. I want to leave it in there long enough to do a good flush but I'd have to spin a rod bearing...

Thanks!

JWS
'99 LSE 4WD

marcre
07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Marc,

Can you describe what you did when you used the Seafoam in your oil? I am most interested in when you added the stuff and when you drained the oil. I have read of people leaving it in there and driving with the thinner oil but that sounds a little scary. I want to leave it in there long enough to do a good flush but I'd have to spin a rod bearing...

Thanks!

JWS
'99 LSE 4WD

How I do it is to simply put it in the crankcase and let it idle for several minutes. I also take it for a couple mile drive, gunning the engine. I let it idle some more(10 minutes). Then drain nice and hot. I did to treatments on two consecutive oil changes. Now I am using auto-rx. Read up on bobistheoilguy.com for mor info on auto-rx. It seems like good stuff.

With the seafoam, I could see it was getting rid of gunk from the engine. I like it. Auto-rx is a totally different product in the way it removes build-up.

Marc

marcre
07-29-2005, 04:24 PM
nine days since my last update, and all is well. I have not needed to add any oil yet, in fact, the oil is still at the same level from what I put in. Sea Foam & Auto-RX gets a thumbs up from me. I truely thought there was going to be some consumption by now. There still may be some, but it is way down from before.

There has been record heat in Buffalo this summer, and my oil had me worried, not so much anymore. Don't worry, I am not stupid, I check it regularly. It is nice to check it and see it at the full mark still. It's like winning something or getting a raise.

Marc

marcre
08-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Another update.

I just dumped the oil that contained te A-RX after ~1800 miles. The cleaning phase is supposed to last 1500 miles. I went a little over. I will now do the rinse phase. I consumed about .25 of a qt during this oil change. Absolutely awesome. Hardly any consumption. I still check it, but it always is there for me.

I had a real test of the oil last weak. I did some longer type highway driving two days in a row. Not a drop of consumption. I m gonna do the rinse phase, change the oil and hope for the best.

Anyone interested, auto-rx gets the thumbs up from me.

I am still using the valvoline max-life 5w 30, I like it. I am thinking of sticking with it, probably not going to switch to synthetic. Everything works fine, why change. I did switch to the purulator pureone filter. It cost six bucks, but hey, it is a real nice blue color. There is a $1.50 mail in rebate for it on the website, but I always forget to send em in.

Marc

marcre
10-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Been a while since I updated this. There is still a little consumption. Not as bad as before, but i am still in the rinse phase. I have another 1000 miles to go before I change the oil. I have been happy with the results and I will do another Auto-RX treatment in the spring.

I don't expect the consumption to stop, it would be nice, but I'm realistic. In this instance, less is better than nothing.

marc

rodeo02
10-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Marc, check this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=465061
Per Superskeet, an oil add called CD2 is the magic elixir.

G/luck
Joel

marcre
10-13-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks Joel, i saw that the other day. I may give it a shot. I'm going to wait and see how this works for a bit. Hopefully it will, but he did seem to have nice results with that stuff.

Marc

rollin_on13s
10-14-2005, 01:40 AM
It seems like additives will work best if the problem is with internal sealing- like piston rings or valve seals.
I have a similar problem, and my assumption at this point (judging from the oil on the bottom of the motor/transmission) is that it is a rear main seal on the motor. It's possible that the motor only looses oil when the oil pressure is up, and the viscosity of the oil is low due to operating temperatures. I find no oil spots under the Rodeo from sitting, have clean exhaust, but easily loose a quart every 500 miles or less from driving. It's possible that it's loosing it's oil on the road in vapor and droplets from the back of the motor.

rodeo02
10-14-2005, 02:10 AM
...It's possible that the motor only looses oil when the oil pressure is up, and the viscosity of the oil is low due to operating temperatures. I find no oil spots under the Rodeo from sitting, have clean exhaust, but easily loose a quart every 500 miles or less from driving....

A RMS will only leak on the fly as the oil will drain to the pan when not running (sump is lower than the seal).

G/luck
Joel

marcre
06-23-2006, 07:21 PM
well, I dug up an old thread of mine.

I dumped in some more Auto RX. Not having any issues, but why not. Seems to a pretty good product. We'll see what happens.

Anyone else try this stuff yet? It may be worth a shot for the burners/leakers or other assorted problems.

marc

Ramblin Fever
06-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I had REALLY thought about it before I did my major tune-up, as the truck was really getting noisey, however, opted for the tune-up first. Experienced a big enough difference with new sparks, O2's, filters, timing belt, tensioner, etc that I didn't research the AutoRX any further.

If mine burned/used oil, as once was your case, I probably would try it, couldn't hurt. However, I believe I'm one of the very lucky owners, mine only uses 1/8qt and that's right at the 3k mile mark. Not gonna mess with what isn't broke.

Add your comment to this topic!