97 3.2L Valve train rattle

I-HATE-CHEVY
07-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Hello all,

My 97 has the 3.2L V6, now has 120,000 on it. It seems to have some sort of valve train rattle going on. I'm not too familiar with these engines, may it's the DOHC that makes it sound that way. If this could be a problem, what things might cause it? I have never replaced the tensioner or the timing belt and not sure if the previous owner did either.
Other than that, it seems to run fine, fuel mileage is low. Which brings me to another question. Has anyone put an aftermarket muffler, or exhaust that will help increase the mileage and power, or is there a chip ou there???

Thanks in advance

Ramblin Fever
07-08-2005, 10:22 AM
The 97 3.2L V6 is the SOHC engine; the 98+ years are the DOHC.

I have an assortment of threads going right now on the famous "tick" for this engine; I myself have just developed the tick in the last few thousand miles, and am trying to rid of it before it becomes a problem tick.

If it actually "leads" to a problem, I'm not 100% sure - seems to be more of an audible complaint more then anything.

In regards to the exhaust, mine's all original, can't help ya there. Hopefully I won't have to worry for a while yet.

The timing belt, water pump and tensioner ARE something to do soon with your mileage, I wouldn't personally go over 125K with your original water pump. 8 years/120K is a LOT of time and wear, and the 3.2L engine is all aluminum.

Hope this has helped some.

I-HATE-CHEVY
07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
So this "rattle" as I call it, or perhaps the "tick" as other's may call it, are a common thing. It doesn't sound like a lifter tick to me, but who know. Oil pressure is ok, I"m sure it's not the best.
Thanks for the info on the aluminum part, I was unaware of that.
John

The 97 3.2L V6 is the SOHC engine; the 98+ years are the DOHC.

I have an assortment of threads going right now on the famous "tick" for this engine; I myself have just developed the tick in the last few thousand miles, and am trying to rid of it before it becomes a problem tick.

If it actually "leads" to a problem, I'm not 100% sure - seems to be more of an audible complaint more then anything.

In regards to the exhaust, mine's all original, can't help ya there. Hopefully I won't have to worry for a while yet.

The timing belt, water pump and tensioner ARE something to do soon with your mileage, I wouldn't personally go over 125K with your original water pump. 8 years/120K is a LOT of time and wear, and the 3.2L engine is all aluminum.

Hope this has helped some.

anthonyn
07-08-2005, 12:40 PM
So this "rattle" as I call it, or perhaps the "tick" as other's may call it, are a common thing. It doesn't sound like a lifter tick to me, but who know. Oil pressure is ok, I"m sure it's not the best.
Thanks for the info on the aluminum part, I was unaware of that.
John

If it sounds more like a rattle than a tick, then most likely its your timing belt tensioner. Put a broomstick agaist the timing belt cover and the other end against your ear to see if you can't pinpoint the sound further.

Canucklehead
07-08-2005, 12:46 PM
If it sounds more like a rattle than a tick, then most likely its your timing belt tensioner. Put a broomstick agaist the timing belt cover and the other end against your ear to see if you can't pinpoint the sound further.

it's also quite common for the noise from a failing tensioner to go away at higher RPMs.

Add your comment to this topic!