Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'98 1500 4x4 5.9L Transmission disengages

stephenprice
07-07-2005, 06:40 AM
I have a '98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with about 165k miles. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that the transmission will disengage momentarily during sudden speed changes, such as pulling out into traffic. It seems to fall out of gear and moments later go back in, even barking the tires when it engages. The fluid levels are ok. I have searched the forums but have not found any threads that exactly matches what I am experiencing. Does anyone have any thoughts about what could be happening? Thanks.

fredjacksonsan
07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Overall, it sounds like a rebuild is due; at 165K miles it's time.

BUT....you could just have an issue with old fluid. When was the last time that you changed the trans fluid and filter? That can make a big difference.

Blylock
07-08-2005, 08:16 PM
i would not suggest a fluid change if you never had one done before. sounds like to me that your torque converter is getting tired. i would try dropping the pan and replacing the filter, if that dont work, might be time to rebuild it. 165k...i bet theres some people in here who would be very jealous....96k on mine so far never a problem....knock on wood

fredjacksonsan
07-08-2005, 10:25 PM
Drop pan + replace filter is the same as a fluid change......

Blylock
07-09-2005, 05:05 AM
i would not suggest a fluid change if you never had one done before. sounds like to me that your torque converter is getting tired. i would try dropping the pan and replacing the filter, if that dont work, might be time to rebuild it. 165k...i bet theres some people in here who would be very jealous....96k on mine so far never a problem....knock on wood

no its not, you only get about 1/2 the fluid out with a pan drop. a fluid change is a tranny flush and fill

Add your comment to this topic!