Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slk start problem

janemidg
07-07-2005, 02:24 AM
Ive had my 2000 red slk 230 for 8 troublefree months but now it refuses to start. The key can be inserted and removed ok and it still operates central locking remotely but will not turn in the lock. Have tried jiggling steering, spare keys, foot on and off brake with no success. Has anyone else met this or knows what it is?

jane

talonlover
07-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Do you have the infared key port on this model? If so do you hear the electronic ignition lock release when you put the key in? Since you have already tried a known good key, the only thing I'm thinking of that comes to mind is the transponder ring around the ignition lock. This sounds like a problem a MB dealer has to take care of, and on this one I would recommend a MB dealer only..no side shops unless they are good and have the diagnostic equipment.

If the dealer can't find the problem right off they will want to order a new key for starters just to eliminate the possibility before they start looking. Be sure to bring ALL your keys with you if you do take it in.

janemidg
07-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi talonlover

Yes to infra red, and Ive tried listening for lock release and is not happening. Have similar advice from mbca so I think you guys have homed in on the issue. Started talking to mb this afternoon probably taking the car in tommorrow.

thanks for your help

Jane

janemidg
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi Talonlover, thought you wou would like an update on how MB dealt with my problem for your records, asked husband to write the rest of this post.

Well, the RAC guy spent 90 minutes trying to fix before giving up, then organised transport to MB, needed two trucks, one to lift the rear whilst the other winched the front on skates onto his flatbed, same two trucks to unload inside the MB workshop, and our first bill for £90 as this special lift is not included in our breakdown cover. (£90 was cheap for the amount of time it took)

Reading from the MB invoice MB had to remove the steering shaft and lock as an assembly, replace the lock body, and order a new lock cylinder which had to be built in Germany to match the existing keys. Total parts cost £112.46, total labour cost £378.00, all plus 17.5% vat for a grand total of £576.29.

Looking at the broken parts there is evidence of three different attempts to separate the lock from the steering column. First grinding through the cover where the key goes in to get at what MB call the tumbler, then use of metal chisel trying to split the tumbler housing, then trying to cut the pin between the tumbler and the yoke to the steering lock pin, then cut through the metal yoke that moves the steering locking pin again with the chisel, various other chisel marks all not achieving much, finally hold the steering lock end of the assembly in a vice and hammer the key lock end back and forth untill the housing fractured through, think this last is what allowed the lock to be detached from the steering. It should have been possible to cut through at this point on the car but MB probably dont as would expect some spark damage to surroundings.

What was the basic problem? Dont know, the RAC guy thought the pins or whatever had worn inside the tumbler, this on a MB with only 20k on the clock, thought might be down to first owner hanging heavy keys on the chain. There is no mention of changing the transponder ring on the MB invoice.

jane and ron

talonlover
11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
Sorry I didn't see your reply till just now. I had forgot but they are right about the heavy key chains messing up the switches. Sorry it was such a hassle, sounds like even MB was stumped on that one.

Add your comment to this topic!