Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

noisy timing belt

hawaiianites
07-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi folks, wondering why I get a humming noise coming from my timing belt area. By the way I just changed them belts recently. 91 Accord

phantastic1
07-06-2005, 10:39 PM
did you change out the timing idler pulleys or water pump? could be that those are wearing out.

mpumas
07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
I've heard of this problem before. Did you follow all the procedures completely. Did you use the maintenance bolt and align the rear timing belt driven pulley properly? Did you align front timing belt driven pulley. These are the common reason you get noise. Of course, if you had the noise beforehand, it is a different story.

jeffcoslacker
07-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Over-tight timing belts will get that "supercharger howl" sometimes. Under tight will chatter and flap.

hawaiianites
07-10-2005, 01:09 PM
did you change out the timing idler pulleys or water pump? could be that those are wearing out.Yes I did change the water pump, but not the idler pulleys. Maybe I should inspect those. Thks

hawaiianites
07-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I've heard of this problem before. Did you follow all the procedures completely. Did you use the maintenance bolt and align the rear timing belt driven pulley properly? Did you align front timing belt driven pulley. These are the common reason you get noise. Of course, if you had the noise beforehand, it is a different story.
Yes I did all the above. But I'm gonna open her up again and check. tks for your reply

hawaiianites
07-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Over-tight timing belts will get that "supercharger howl" sometimes. Under tight will chatter and flap.
Yes your right but I think I got the tension just right but I'll chk again. tks for your time

hueroloco
07-11-2005, 11:18 PM
you don't have to take the cover off to check the tension if the adjuster is ok. there should be a hole in the cover where the tensioner bolt is. just loosen it up and let the spring apply tension, then tighten it up again.

Add your comment to this topic!