Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intermediate Steering Shaft

thermal izod
07-06-2005, 12:07 PM
I know that I am behind the ball on this, but I bought a 2000 impala a year or so ago (with a new waranty). Recently, I've been feeling the symptoms described on www.impalahq.com as the ISS problem. Was there a recall on this before (or after) I bought my impala? Should I be covered? I figure there probably was, and the previous owner didn't act on it. Any info anyone can provide on this would be awesome....

Thanks!

DAVENEWJERSEY
07-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I know that I am behind the ball on this, but I bought a 2000 impala a year or so ago (with a new waranty). Recently, I've been feeling the symptoms described on www.impalahq.com as the ISS problem. Was there a recall on this before (or after) I bought my impala? Should I be covered? I figure there probably was, and the previous owner didn't act on it. Any info anyone can provide on this would be awesome....

Thanks!
I just made an appointment for Friday with a Chevy dealer to replace the intermediate steering shaft, as the very loud click and clunking is too scary when child safety is involved.
They said it would cost me about $129.
I questioned about the lube of the shaft as reported in the '01 bulletin, but the service manager said a new bulletin came out in Jan.'05 to replace the Inermediate steering shaft.
I know the orig. owner of my 2001 impala LS had the steering rack replaced, prob. had the same problem.
It sure seems like Chevrolet has been unable to solve this problem and they continue to profit from their manufacturer defect.
I will leave a report with the NHTSA regarding this problem.
Sooner or later I am affraid a steering problem will result from the loud snapping noise, causing bodily injury.

DAVENEWJERSEY
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I just made an appointment for Friday with a Chevy dealer to replace the intermediate steering shaft, as the very loud click and clunking is too scary when child safety is involved.
They said it would cost me about $129.
I questioned about the lube of the shaft as reported in the '01 bulletin, but the service manager said a new bulletin came out in Jan.'05 to replace the Inermediate steering shaft.
I know the orig. owner of my 2001 impala LS had the steering rack replaced, prob. had the same problem.
It sure seems like Chevrolet has been unable to solve this problem and they continue to profit from their manufacturer defect.
I will leave a report with the NHTSA regarding this problem.
Sooner or later I am affraid a steering problem will result from the loud snapping noise, causing bodily injury.

TURNED OUT THE PROBLEM IS MISSING AND DEFECTIVE SUB FRAME WELDS.
VERY COMMON PROBLEM 2000-2002 IMPALA AND MONTE CARLO, FREQUENTLY MIS-DIAGNOSED WITH GM RAKING IN THE REPAIR PROFITS FROM WHAT SHOULD BE A MASSIVE SAFETY RECALL.
THEY ALSO TRY TO CHEAP OUT ON THE WELD FIX WITH SUPER GLUE!!!
WATCH FOR CLASS ACTION SUIT!!!! GET INVOLVED, FILE A NHTSA COMPLAINT PLEASE.

MCO_Death
07-08-2005, 07:28 PM
TURNED OUT THE PROBLEM IS MISSING AND DEFECTIVE SUB FRAME WELDS.
VERY COMMON PROBLEM 2000-2002 IMPALA AND MONTE CARLO, FREQUENTLY MIS-DIAGNOSED WITH GM RAKING IN THE REPAIR PROFITS FROM WHAT SHOULD BE A MASSIVE SAFETY RECALL.
THEY ALSO TRY TO CHEAP OUT ON THE WELD FIX WITH SUPER GLUE!!!
WATCH FOR CLASS ACTION SUIT!!!! GET INVOLVED, FILE A NHTSA COMPLAINT PLEASE.

The ISS is a known problem with the cars too, Quit spamming the weld things in everything involving steering questions. Goodness, The FREAKING CAPS FOR WHOLE PARAGRAPHS DOESN"T HELP ANYTHING!!!

If the ISS wasn't the problem with the cars, the owners would have noticed the problem still existing and gone straight back to the shop.

Add your comment to this topic!