Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Smell coming from Air vents

Tim Hampson
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Has anyone had problems with the air coming from the air vents. I had a very bad musty smell coming from mine from about the day I bought it. There was a recall this this item and it fixed it for about 1 month. The smell is coming back but this time stronger and more of a cat pee type of smell. (Yes, I've washed the car all over..lol)...

The Dealership is trying to tell me that this is common on all cars. Not any car I've bough before.

Thanks

BosPats
07-22-2005, 06:33 PM
I also came across this problem. My kids always complained about it when they got into the truck. I read the owners manual and it said to leave the vents open so the truck can breathe. So since I started doing this the smell has seemed to have disappeared.

Thanks

Tim Hampson
07-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I never close my vents so it must be another problem. I am also getting the run around by Mazda. They say if they can't find the problem then , too bad, they can't fix it if they can't find what's causing it.... What a crock.

Its getting to the point, i have to start up my car and leave the windows open for 10 minutes until it airs out... I can't even stand sitting in the car.

Oh yea, it usually happens when it's hot outside.

Thanks!

niallg
08-30-2005, 03:08 PM
We have a 2002 Ford Escape with a similar problem. Strong musty odor. Been in and out of the dealer about ten times and still smelling. Ford wont do anything and the selling dealer does not know how to fix it.

We find that if you run it with Max A/C (ie recirculated air) that the smell is not apparant. Again the smell is only there in the summer when it is hot, so it may be related to heater usage.

john300
12-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Hi,
I have same problem on my 02 B4000, i noticed it is worst after running AC. I spoke to the "service" "advisor" at Mazda dealer soon as i bought the car but he said thats normal on these vehicles and nothing can be done...

TomV
01-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Hi,
I have same problem on my 02 B4000, i noticed it is worst after running AC. I spoke to the "service" "advisor" at Mazda dealer soon as i bought the car but he said thats normal on these vehicles and nothing can be done...

I have a 02 Tribute here in Maryland and we always use the air conditioning in the summer and rarely have the windows down. We do not experience any musty or off smell.

These vehicles do have (optional?) a cabin air filter that I would recommend replacing every year or two.

Is there the possibilty that some AC condensate is hanging around and offering a spot for mold to fester?

AlohaBra
02-05-2006, 01:35 PM
There are some air fresheners that you can spray into the outside vents with the FAN running. The one I have is call Frigi Fresh or another is Ozum.
This is like a refrigerator that has been turned off for awhile and there is a smell.

Other than the spray, You have to disassembly the evap unit and clean it out with a disinfectant.

AlohaBra
08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Try this link that I just discovered:
http://www.gadgetjq.com/tribute/t&t.htm

Covers many Escape/Tribute DIY issues. Thanks to the webmaster.

timd
01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Link http://www.gadgetjq.com/tribute/t&t.htm

no longer works.

AlohaBra
01-18-2008, 09:19 AM
I guess he toook that page off.

BTW, this is a way old thread to revive. Better to start a new one.

But the smell problem is common in cars. It is due to mildew and detail shops can spray some stuff in there.

Add your comment to this topic!