Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Olds 88 LS won't start

donicejr1
07-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I have a 93 Olds 88 LS with electronic cluster, information center, PASS Key System.

For the most part the car ran like a champ except for what was originally an occasional starting problem - turn key and NADA or clicking sound (sort like a clock ticking). Trying to start it 2 - 3 times or waiting 5 - 10 minutes before trying or cleaning the key solved the problem.

Back in February the problem got more complicated. Car wouldn't start (again NADA or clicking sound) and gage reading said battery voltage low (11 - 12.5 volts). If jump started the car it started right up and maintained a charge while driving (50+ miles) so I don't think it was my alternator. However, when I'd shut the car off it wouldn't start again and I'd get the low voltage reading.

My brother replaced the battery with a used one he had) and it started right up. I was sick for a week and again had the same problem with no start when I tried to start it (after a week). I bought a new battery which my brother installed and the car started right up. My brother also checked for battery drainage / draw but found nothing significant.

The car started and ran great for about a week (drove it every couple of days) but then problems again. I tried to start it about a day and a half after having driven it, and again got NADA or clicking sound (got low voltage message, 11 - 12.5 volts). In addition, the information center had cleared and had to be reset - date, time, etc. I did this and tried to start the car again but got absolutely nothing. On top of this, the information center flashed a "battery Reconnected" message and then everything (dash lights, electronic cluster, etc. went dead. I've tried to start it several times but nothing - no clicking sound, etc.

Help - I'm at a loss - maybe ignition switch or cable connections? Any-body ever have this problem or have any suggestions. As a female I don't know alot about cars but would like some idea before I have it towed to a garage so I don't get "ripped off" with expensive repairs when something simple, ie cable connections, might solve the problem.

auto trainy
07-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Try removing the positive battery cable and clean and check for corrosion externally and internally,these cables are a common problem.Also the next time it does nothing wait 10 min. and try again,if this works it probably will be in the pass key system. good luck

donicejr1
07-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Try removing the positive battery cable and clean and check for corrosion externally and internally,these cables are a common problem.Also the next time it does nothing wait 10 min. and try again,if this works it probably will be in the pass key system. good luck

:iceslolan
Auto Trainy - Thanks for the information, I was kinda thinking along the same lines - battery cable or other connection problem. My brother's out of town, but when he gets back I'll have him check and/or replace the cable to see if that helps before having it towed to a garage.

I've tried the waiting and trying again with no luck so at this point I don't think it's the pass key system.

If my brother can get it running I'll probably take it into the garage to have it checked to make sure everything is OK.

Again, thanks for the information. Hope it resolves the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!