jeep trying to stall at low idle

Frozen_Rotten
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0
When you stop and try to go the engine wants to stall bad. It also happen in corners. Note:....My cat converter is shot and rattles. It needs to be replaced. This has been like this for about a year (the cat converter) but have had no other problems. The stall would happen when cold once in while over the last year but now it is happening about 50% of corners and stops.
Could the stall at take off and corner problem, and a bad cat converter be related?

dkostis
07-05-2005, 11:06 PM
some tips would be to clean the throttle body, located where the air duct reaches then top of the engine, or you may need a new tps censor, $60.00 easy to install. it tells the engine at what position the throttle is, if it reads wrong it may stall.

good luck

dksob81
07-06-2005, 11:40 AM
stalls around corners have been linked to bad Gas Cap or O-Ring (Gasket) on the Fuel Pump Assembly (seal where the FP meets the Tank).

a badly plugged cat will cause many many Performance problems and yes it could be the cause.

ramairgto72
07-09-2005, 04:35 AM
It also does not hurt to upgrade your cap and rotor and plugs.
If you do, go with a cap with Brass posts as the Alum "cheap" caps will oxidize quickly and loose contact as cause crappy fireing to the plugs, I had this problem on my 93 I6, I replaced everything with new stuff, and the Jeep started running crappy when it was damp out, so I pulled the cap and seen "crap" on the inside posts, I claned them with a body pen sander and it ran fine, mind you I used WD 40 when I put it in, but it still got messed up.

I replaced the cap with a "Rodeny Red" Auto Zone cap and rotor and it's a world of differance with the Brass.

Also I would make sure your fuel regulator is working ok, this seems to be one of the big problem areas, to test this turn the key to the on postion, but dont start the engine, count to 15 and turn the key, if it fires right up then it's most likely the reg. You do this if the engine cranks for a little while before starting.

Hope this helps

g1smith
07-19-2005, 02:49 PM
I would check your IAS (Idle Airspeed Motor) if your paticular year of Jeep has one. I cleaned mine in an attempt to fix an intermittent stalling problem after replacing a Crank Position Sensor. My first sensor failed hard, and the next two from the dealer seem to be intermittent. The IAS isn't too difficult to remove from the 4.7 engine.

Add your comment to this topic!