Had to take tent off windows, so now how do I remove the glue?

Ducaire
07-05-2005, 08:45 PM
In the state of Georgia, the friggin' dag dang lawmakers passed a law that prohibits the tent on the front windows from letting in less than 32% of the light. So, I had to strip all the tent off my windows. (My dad's a cop, and he had one of those devices that tells you how dark the tent is, and mine only let in 12%) But how do I get the glue off? I tried rubbing alcohol and a washcloth, but it didn't seem to work too good. Should I get some cottonballs instead of a washcloth? Someone else suggested vinegar.

What should I use to wipe the glue off, and what should I wipe it off with? Thanks for your help. :)

jackass#1
07-06-2005, 05:37 AM
glass cleaner and a razarblade.

movin2stereo
07-06-2005, 07:11 AM
Just what jackass said and you can also use some solvent.

crazycory1
07-06-2005, 02:15 PM
In New Jersey your not allowed any tint on the front windows, so concider yourself luckly to have any. To get the glue off use a product called Goo gone. You can goo gone at shoprite.

movin2stereo
07-06-2005, 04:13 PM
In New Jersey your not allowed any tint on the front windows, so concider yourself luckly to have any. To jut the glue off use a product called Goo gone. You can goo gone at shoprite.
That's a solvet.

crazycory1
07-06-2005, 04:58 PM
Its some type of oily substance. Solvent, maybe. I've used it many times to remove stickers of car windows, i have never had a problem.

Just use a paper towel to put it on the window, wait till the glue softens, use a razor blade to get the glue off of the window, when done use windex to clean the glass.

crazycory1
07-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Before we get into a battle over this, Ducaire are you talking about the front windshield or the drivers and passengers side windows?

I never used it on a windshield. It may or may not work on a windshield. If its the front windshield keep in mind that it is multi layered and uses a type of glue to hold it together.

dbrown46
07-06-2005, 11:06 PM
mineral spirits, then clean with windex

movin2stereo
07-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Its some type of oily substance. Solvent, maybe. I've used it many times to remove stickers of car windows, i have never had a problem.

Just use a paper towel to put it on the window, wait till the glue softens, use a razor blade to get the glue off of the window, when done use windex to clean the glass.
Yea it's basicly fuel oil.

OverBoardProject
07-07-2005, 10:54 PM
I read about the same thing on Hotrodders forum. (they have a great body, and interior forum) and the best sugestion was spray the same dish soap and water combo that you used to stich it on, onto the tint side. Keep it wet and the film will just peal after a while.

I never tried it, but it won't damage the windows or interior, where the other sugestions might

dugie6551
07-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Soapy water, razor blades and lots of elbow grease !!!!!

OverBoardProject
07-08-2005, 12:59 AM
on the hotrodders forum they actually claim that the soapy water will absorb through the film making it easy.
I don't want to look the thread up, but you can find it in there

dmbrisket 51
07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
i used wd 40 when they pulled me over then use windex or some sort of window cleaner when your done

Ducaire
07-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Before we get into a battle over this, Ducaire are you talking about the front windshield or the drivers and passengers side windows?

I never used it on a windshield. It may or may not work on a windshield. If its the front windshield keep in mind that it is multi layered and uses a type of glue to hold it together.

Nope. It's only the front windows on each side, not the windshield. :)

BlazerLT
07-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Anything with amonia will take it off.

Plus putting tint on your front windows is unsafe and plain out retarded.

dmbrisket 51
07-10-2005, 03:23 PM
had tint on the front windows of my dime and currently have it on my newly aquired trans am, find it more safe with tint then without, overdoing it is dangerous, but if some jackass behind me has his brights on its not bothern me one little bit, if you have 5% or 2.5% on your fronts yes that is dangerous, but a 30 or 45% looks good and imo is safer then clear glass, plus when your burnt, the uv blockage from tint keeps the sun from burnen you wors, worse burns cause skin cancer, meaning tint may save lives :biggrin:

BlazerLT
07-10-2005, 03:58 PM
had tint on the front windows of my dime and currently have it on my newly aquired trans am, find it more safe with tint then without, overdoing it is dangerous, but if some jackass behind me has his brights on its not bothern me one little bit, if you have 5% or 2.5% on your fronts yes that is dangerous, but a 30 or 45% looks good and imo is safer then clear glass, plus when your burnt, the uv blockage from tint keeps the sun from burnen you wors, worse burns cause skin cancer, meaning tint may save lives :biggrin:

Wear sunglasses during the day.

But reducing nighttime visability by even a little bit is dangerous and selfish thing in my mind.

Think of the person or something ahead that you might hit instead of thinking only about yourself.

rstroud
07-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Use some acetone or fingernail polish remover.

04 blazer
07-10-2005, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't use either one of those. Get that on your interior plastic and it is ruined.

dmbrisket 51
07-11-2005, 01:38 AM
Wear sunglasses during the day.

But reducing nighttime visability by even a little bit is dangerous and selfish thing in my mind.

Think of the person or something ahead that you might hit instead of thinking only about yourself.
on the windsheld, im talking side windows, and i usually do ware sunglasses for the glair in front of me

BlazerLT
07-11-2005, 01:40 AM
on the windsheld, im talking side windows, and i usually do ware sunglasses for the glair in front of me

My bad, I thought you were talking about the windshield.

dmbrisket 51
07-11-2005, 01:45 AM
after your last post it FINALLY clicked as to thats what your thought was, and i do agree, tinted windsheilds are dangerous

BlazerLT
07-11-2005, 02:27 AM
after your last post it FINALLY clicked as to thats what your thought was, and i do agree, tinted windsheilds are dangerous

Sorry about that, people do do it and I think it is retarded.

My two fron windows are tinted too. Takes getting used to but then all is good.

No sunburnt legs in the summer.

dmbrisket 51
07-11-2005, 11:36 PM
finger nail polish remover is nothing but over priced mineral sperits (sp?) or paint thinner...

BlazerLT
07-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Normal ammonia will really take it off, I knopw this because the guy that installed it told me not to use it to clean the windows.

Ammonia can be found in a good concentration in Windex.

dmbrisket 51
07-12-2005, 12:26 AM
or for under a buck at local super market... if the tint has been there a while, like it had been on my honda, found it easyest to remove windows, and soak in hot bath tub, but the side windows on blazers and newer vehicals dont come out that easy unfortunetly

jackass#1
07-12-2005, 06:50 AM
like i said early in the post glass cleaner and a razorblade.

jackass#1
07-12-2005, 06:52 AM
a heat gun or blowdrier would help loosen it up too.

crazycory1
07-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Anything with amonia will take it off.

Plus putting tint on your front windows is unsafe and plain out retarded.

You do realize that you just called 80 to 90% of the people in the america retarted.

I like the look of tint. Not limo, but lighter tint. Great for show cars, not for daily drivers. The problem with tint is that if you do it yourself, more than likely your going to mess it up in some way. dust, a hair, etc.. To get it right you have to have a pro do it, and its really not worth the money.

dmbrisket 51
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
You do realize that you just called 80 to 90% of the people in the america retarted.
re-read what you read and no he didnt, he said putting tint on the windsheild is retarted, and yes it is, and uh, i dont think 90% of americans have vehicals, let alone ones with the windsheilds tinted

I like the look of tint. Not limo, but lighter tint. Great for show cars, not for daily drivers. The problem with tint is that if you do it yourself, more than likely your going to mess it up in some way. dust, a hair, etc.. To get it right you have to have a pro do it, and its really not worth the money.
and no, you dont have to pay someone to do it, clean the windows with something that doesnt contain amonia, then lots of soapy water on the window, the sticky side of the tint, and non sticky side, take your time and squeegy out all of the air bubbles, not hard to do, ive done several vehicals, includinging one split rear (yes, that was a bitch to do) and every one that has seen the vehicals with it done thinks they were professionally done, its all about taking your time and not rushing things

OverBoardProject
07-13-2005, 11:31 AM
With my back windows all being Black, and the front windows all having the factory tint my Blazer still looks pretty dark from the outside.
Where I live any tint on the front windows is illegal.

Use the best quality tint that you can get and they should last as long as a pro's job does.
I've seen them both start to bubble and peal after several years the hot Okanagan sun

Doug, when's the truck coming back from the bodyshop again?

crazycory1
07-13-2005, 11:33 AM
wow, I totally missed page two of this post. May be I'm being retarted today.

OverBoardProject
07-13-2005, 11:35 AM
There's page 3 now, and I would imagine that LT will forgive you

dmbrisket 51
07-13-2005, 03:45 PM
came back today, shitty day out

OverBoardProject
07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
I hope that you mean shitty day as in shitty weather, not shitty work.
It's the perfect weather here for a nice car

BlazerLT
07-13-2005, 04:41 PM

Oh, 80-90% of people tint their front window?

I don't think so.

I am not talking about the factory tinting on it, I am talking about people aftermarket tinting, the WINDSHIELD.

movin2stereo
07-14-2005, 09:31 PM
finger nail polish remover is nothing but over priced mineral sperits (sp?) or paint thinner...
Sorry about this,but finger nail polish remover is acetone. :smile:

movin2stereo
07-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Oh, 80-90% of people tint their front window?

I don't think so.

I am not talking about the factory tinting on it, I am talking about people aftermarket tinting, the WINDSHIELD.
I never seen a windshield tinted,other than on a matchbox car. :smile: Who in their right mind would tint a windshield? :screwy:

dmbrisket 51
07-14-2005, 10:59 PM
I never seen a windshield tinted,other than on a matchbox car. :smile: Who in their right mind would tint a windshield? :screwy:
take a trip to florida, people do it

04 blazer
07-25-2005, 07:34 PM
Today I took my company truck to get it inspected and guess what, failed due to tint on side windows. So I decided to try a few different things to get it off. The tint was easy to remove, just peeled right off. The glue was the real pain as everyone else has said. Tryed paint thinner which did not work well. Even tryed some acetone (which I know will ruin plastic) on a small spot and that did not work at all. Tryed Windex and a razor which worked fairly well except the Windex evaporated quickly. So I decided to get out good old Simple Green. Sprayed it on and let it soak for a minute, then took a razor blade and pretty much squeegeed the adhesive right off. Then took some Windex and cleaned the window. Another use for Simple Green, that's why I buy it by the gallon.

BLAZERBOY69
08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I Got This Stuff From Autozone, Called Invisible Glass, You Spray It On, Let It Sit, (it Has A High Evap Ratio) And Then Just Wipe Where You See Bubbles. Doesn't Streak, And As A Bonus, Makes The Windows (supposedly) So Clean That You Forget The Glass Is There.
Sorry About The Caps Lock, Dumb Key Board Is Stupid

OverBoardProject
08-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Are you sure that it's the keyboard, and not a program glitch?
If my cap lock is on every letter is in UPPER case

BlazerLT
08-15-2005, 07:19 PM
If you type in all CAPS the forum software will reduce it to having only the first letter in capitals on every word.

sreed25570
08-16-2005, 12:21 AM
a 3 dollar bottle of zippo fluid works well also have used on int and ext of my truck with no problems

dmbrisket 51
08-16-2005, 12:42 AM
something like zippo fluid shouldnt eat your finish but is definetly going to eat through the wax

sreed25570
08-16-2005, 12:57 AM
the wife wanted the emblems off her cavalier used a blow dryer to remove them then cleaned the goo with lighter fluid didnt notice any fading in the clear though it is possible i guess with different types of paint

Add your comment to this topic!