Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Thinking of ditching Honda

Balddog
04-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Ok guys im having a hard time making this decision so i need your opinions..

Ive got a civic coupe(non vtec:( ) and to be honest, its not fast enough.

At the moment im working a really crappy job and dont have much cash to throw around so theres not much chance of me upgrading to the Prelude that i REALLY want.

My dad is just about to take delivery of his new jag which means his old car is up for grabs. He was planning on giving it to the deal as part exchange but im thinking of making him an offer for it.

The car is a Mazda Xedos 6..known as the Eunos500 in Japan. Its a 2.0litre V6 and its a 1996 car. Never had any mechanical or electrical problems and its in great condition. Only downside is that its done 150k miles, mostly motorway miles but its still a lot...

Now...The dealer offered him 2.5k for the car but he will sell it to me for Ģ1500...

The plan is to sell the civic and buy this..Keep this one for a year or so, by which time i should have saved enough to get me a decent Prelude..

I feel soooooooo bad buying non-Honda though. What do you guys reckon?

Couple pics of the Xedos6 if you aint seen one..They are pretty rare.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.storey/xedos1.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.storey/xedos2.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/christopher.storey/xedos3.jpg

Goosse
04-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Buy the xedos for 1500 from your dad, keep your Civic, and trade the Civic + the xedos for a prelude...

;)

Just keep in mind:
HONDA RULEZZZZZZZZZZZ
:D

Predator
04-23-2002, 01:30 PM
Yeah Honda rulez!!!

(and btw, u wont find anyone who says yes sell ur civ ;) )

Again btw, there are lots of this ones here I think.

civic_1.6_16v
04-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Dont do it

If you pay your dad 1500 now for the car that 1500 is gone,
you could save that 1500 for your Lude.

Like the others said Honda Rulezzzzzzzz :D

I cant imagine myself driving something else then Honda now.
Maybe when I get older and have a wife and kids I might consider something else
but for now when I'm young I think Honda is the best choice.
Fast, Sexy, Good Looking, (kinda) Cheap :D

Balddog
04-23-2002, 04:24 PM
Yeah but it doesnt look like im gonna be able to afford a lude for at least 1.5 years....I dont wanna drive around in a 1.5l non vtec car for another year and a half.

Unless I get myself a great job then theres not much chance of me getting my lude for a long time :(

00'Civic SR
04-23-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Balddog
I dont wanna drive around in a 1.5l non vtec car for another year and a half.

Nothing wrong with 1.5l. I have 1.4l and always wish for more power. All the money I'm saving now is going into my engine (or new engine ;)) but I'll stay with my Honda. It will probably take another 6-8 months but I can only dream now of how it's going to turn out.

DO NOT buy the mazda. I guarantee you will regret selling you Civic after a while. You never know a great job could come up :D

HONDA rulezzzzz

bracer
04-23-2002, 05:06 PM
It's not that bad of an idea IMO, I always kinda liked the Mazda Xedos series. It has very nice rims, it's luxurious (?) and you can get it for a good price. Ok it's not a Honda and you loose 1.5K for the lude....
Ask yourself this question, do I want to drive my Civic untill I can afford the lude or do I want to drive a Xedos 6 untill I can afford the lude (and wait a bit longer)

Veetec
04-23-2002, 08:22 PM
Ok guys im having a hard time making this decision so i need your opinions..

Ive got a civic coupe(non vtec:( ) and to be honest, its not fast enough.

At the moment im working a really crappy job and dont have much cash to throw around so theres not much chance of me upgrading to the Prelude that i REALLY want.

My dad is just about to take delivery of his new jag which means his old car is up for grabs. He was planning on giving it to the deal as part exchange but im thinking of making him an offer for it.

The car is a Mazda Xedos 6..known as the Eunos500 in Japan. Its a 2.0litre V6 and its a 1996 car. Never had any mechanical or electrical problems and its in great condition. Only downside is that its done 150k miles, mostly motorway miles but its still a lot...

Now...The dealer offered him 2.5k for the car but he will sell it to me for Ģ1500...

The plan is to sell the civic and buy this..Keep this one for a year or so, by which time i should have saved enough to get me a decent Prelude..
Personally Iīd keep the Civic AND the 1.5k and save up for the Prelude! IMO the Madza wonīt be that much faster than the Civic even if it is a V6, is it? And theyīve stopped the production of the Prelude so the still available ones wonīt become younger again anymore....

AccordCE8
04-24-2002, 07:25 AM
I would buy the xedos... it's a nice car... rare... when you lower it it will look very good ( I sometimes see one lowered with chrome wheels...very nice). For such less money... xedos is at least as good a honda.

Veetec
04-24-2002, 08:45 AM
Does the Xedos has got 17" O.Z. Superleggeras on the front and 18" on the rear?? It looks like that....
Okay, to be honest the only thing I really like on the Xedos are the rims. The rest isnīt bad but itīs also not my style. The other thing is that itīs IMO not worth it to buy it and then sell it again in a year or two. Youīll get nothing for it anymore then. And itīs not a real "performance" car, too. Itīs a family sedan which will need more fuel while it wonīt be that much faster than your Civic, plus your Civic will handle better. So my advice as a Prelude owner would be: Save up the money and get a Prelude as fast as possible. Donīt waste your time with compromises! ;)
At the end itīs your decision so if you really want the Xedos then get it. Itīs your money and your choice and nobody in here will flame you for getting it (at least I think that ;) ). But I hope youīll stay with us in here if you get it...:)

Balddog
04-24-2002, 09:09 AM
I feel very guilty today...

Ive been out for a drive in my civic today and I cant believe I was thinking of getting rid of it..

I LOVE HONDA

My insurance renewal premium just came through for my civic and it has gone done by Ģ150..

Im gonna keep the civic....Ill make a couple more cosmetic mods to make it look better and keep on saving for my Prelude..

Or maybe even an imported RSX :sun: :smoker2:

civic_1.6_16v
04-24-2002, 09:16 AM
I feel very guilty today...
Ive been out for a drive in my civic today and I cant believe I was thinking of getting rid of it..
I LOVE HONDA
My insurance renewal premium just came through for my civic and it has gone done by Ģ150..
Im gonna keep the civic....Ill make a couple more cosmetic mods to make it look better and keep on saving for my Prelude..
Or maybe even an imported RSX :sun: :smoker2:

Now you're talking man :D
Just do that and you wont be sorry to have stick with Honda after all ;)

What kind of "cosmetic" mods were you thinking about then???
And how does your ride look like now?

Veetec
04-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Good decision!

Stay with your roots!

:)

Goosse
04-24-2002, 03:16 PM
Good choice, you won't regret it;)

Veetec
04-27-2002, 10:02 AM
I had a look on some internet car vendors and my advise would be: Hurry up if you want a Prelude in good condition, especially if you want one with the 200hp engine! They nearly as rare as Ferraris. ;)
Last week I saw a original Prelude Type-S from Japan in my home city. And a grandma was driving this baby.....:rolleyes:

Goosse
04-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Veetec
Last week I saw a original Prelude Type-S from Japan in my home city. And a grandma was driving this baby.....:rolleyes:

LOL I know what you mean. Last week, when I was walking to school in Antwerp, I saw a nearly stock 6th gen civic coming towards me. Their was a women aged 40-50 behind the wheel. I noticed it had the VTi rims on, but I tought that the chance was really small of that car really being a VTi. But when it passed, the VTi badge was on the trunk.

I always wonder if these people know what they are driving. Those VTi are rare as hell over here.

Veetec
04-28-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Goosse

LOL I know what you mean. Last week, when I was walking to school in Antwerp, I saw a nearly stock 6th gen civic coming towards me. Their was a women aged 40-50 behind the wheel. I noticed it had the VTi rims on, but I tought that the chance was really small of that car really being a VTi. But when it passed, the VTi badge was on the trunk.

I always wonder if these people know what they are driving. Those VTi are rare as hell over here. Theyīre very rare over here, too. Like most faster Hondas (except of the S2000). It seems to me that most of these Hondas are driven by old people! :rolleyes:

AccordCE8
04-29-2002, 05:51 AM
not so strange that older people drive that type of cars.... they have the money for it and we (youth...young people???) don't.
Maybe when you're 40 or 50 you've got the newest fastest civic also... and your wife with grey hair is driving it.... and the youth think ' hell, what's that..'
:D

VTEC1600
05-01-2002, 04:19 AM
Yep, that's through, the VTEC models are more rare, but they are also much more expensive. But i've to admit that i drove a Opel Corsa 1.0 (that's a Vauxhall Nova for the UK guys or a Holden for the Aussies) for some years before i was able to buy this VTEC coupé with 1.5 years warranty from the dealer. But i'm also a little bit older (almost 25) than most of the young guys in the tuning scene over here. I really feel old :) when i'm on a meeting, most guys drive those souped up VW. But hey, i don't pay a cent to any bank for borrowed money and i'm living in a very nice house.

Gangsta Moto
10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Now you're talking man :D
Just do that and you wont be sorry to have stick with Honda after all ;)

What kind of "cosmetic" mods were you thinking about then???
And how does your ride look like now?

Oi... dude... dont listen to these guy's... they're all just biased because they got Honda's. Your dad who knows way more about cars and had a Xedos... and upgraded to a Jag... not a Honda. Havent you ever heard they call the Xedos the Jap Jag?... mate... even you were pulled to the Xedos... not another Honda. Plus... that Honda civic, Prelude, Accord etc... got like 5 pass by every 10 minutes you're on the road like a BMW... Xedos on the otherhand... not to be seen... strictly the chosen few.

Dont let a good thing pass you by and end up being just another civic driver... u wont even be noticed... all they'll say is was that a rover or honda???

I say ditch the Honda and try something else... trust me if you asked your dad he'll probably tell you he enjoyed the Xedos more than he did the Jag.

BrodyP
10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
3 years not 1 or 2 but 3 years this ticket has not been touch. Please read the rules and guidlines for the forum.

Gangsta Moto
10-18-2005, 09:53 AM
3 years not 1 or 2 but 3 years this ticket has not been touch. Please read the rules and guidlines for the forum.

Sorry mate... just got a link though Google... did not even check.

My bad.

Shpyder
10-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Hondas are great daily drivers... I just blew the motor in the eclipse, and have been driving an auto 2000 civic DX for 3 months now, and I love it. Just fill in gas and goooo. No turbo drama, no worrying about boost leak, none of that crap. Daily driving, Hondas are the best bang for the buck by far.

Add your comment to this topic!