Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Revised Technical Regulations - 2008

blindside.AMG
07-05-2005, 04:30 PM
http://www.formula1.com/news/3272.html

The FIA has officially revealed details of its plans to reform Formula One's Technical Regulations for the start of the 2008 season in a bid to reduce the costs of competing in the sport, whilst simultaneously attempting to increase competitiveness among teams. The proposed changes have been approved by the World Motor Sport Council and feedback on them is now being sought

Major proposals include:

A single, control-spec Engine Control Unit (ECU) for all competitors, "manufactured by an FIA designated supplier to an agreed specification." This would make it possible to effectively enforce a ban on driver aids like traction control.

Standard gearboxes fitted with common parts for all cars - with control to be via a driver-operated clutch pedal and gearshift similar to those of a conventional manual-transmission road car.

Revised bodywork to reduce downforce by approximately 90 percent while allowing cars a wider track. This would allow cars to follow each other far closer through corners without the loss of aerodynamic grip and thus would be likely to increase opportunities for drivers to pass each other.

Tyres supplied by a single manufacturer to all teams, the reintroduction of slick tyres and larger wheels - plus a ban on tyre-heating devices.

A "minimum specified" centre-of-gravity for every Formula One chassis and improved impact testing, again to increase competitiveness, but also driver impact protection.

Standard brakes for all competitors to reduce development costs.

Greater control over which materials can be used for the construction of a car's bodywork - similar to changes controlling the use of "exotic" materials in engines that go into place in 2006.

The compulsory installation of a starter motor.

A ban on spare cars, with only spare chassis permitted at events.

A limit on testing to a maximum of 30,000km per team per year.

The right for a team to buy a complete car or any part of a car from another constructor, with "further discussion" over how this would effect the award of Constructors' Championship points.

-------------------------------

Standard gearboxes and reducing downforce by 90%? I don't really like the sound of that. :disappoin

Jimster
07-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Wow, Formula One will soon be playing catch-ups with Formula Ford.

How incredibly stupid.

rapstagangsta
07-07-2005, 03:28 AM
Geez, talk about the cars taking several hundred steps backwards.

jcsaleen
07-07-2005, 10:27 PM
I hate it! 90% budget cut for engine devlopment, WTF - An limiting the engines + downgrading as well lets just put 4 cylinders an call it a day!

sunstreaker.ASU
07-08-2005, 01:37 AM
That really makes F1 pretty stupid to watch. Isn't that why many people watch F1 because it's the pinnacle of racing technology and performance? That's why I watch it anyway. I guess there willl be other ways for manufacturers to show off there technological prowess. I'm just mad they have to have "compulsory" starter motors for 2008. bleh.

drdisque
07-09-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree, that all of these would make the cars far too simple and cheap, i mean, the IRL isn't willing to simplify the cars this much. But some, like the FIA mandated ECU to prevent traction control and the reduction in downforce I think are good ideas.

DinanM3_S2
07-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Formula Nascar...

jcsaleen
07-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Formula Nascar...

:lol2:

TheStang00
07-10-2005, 12:45 AM
the only thing i really dont like is the standard gear box, the center of gravity thing sounds pretty pointless too. but i think the racing will be much better, and since its supposed to have the best drivers in the world... now they will actually do something, the cars were so advanced before that they were practically just along for the ride.

Ridenour
07-12-2005, 11:14 AM
What the shit - they're pretty much destroying the competition and creativity of the sport - if they wanna be that controlling, why don't they just give everyone the same damn car and then tell them to put their own driver in it.

81911targasc
07-27-2005, 10:51 PM
dinanm3__s2 is right about formula nascar. thats just how it sounds

ntn2lv4
08-25-2005, 09:33 PM
I can't do any better than "forumla nascar". max and bernie should be trying to attract the next Colin Chapman to the sport instead of a few more low budget teams

drdisque
08-26-2005, 02:05 AM
I don't think he's trying to attract more teams, he's just trying to level the playing field so that there's more than 2 cars with a legit shot at winning

08-30-2005, 01:51 AM
How much longer will it be before this series becomes nothing more than a joke and F1's top teams break away to form their own series?

jcsaleen
08-30-2005, 07:27 AM
1-2 years is my guess....

DJ SlipStream
08-30-2005, 08:59 PM
what standard gearboxes are they dumb or something??!

grrr i hate the FIA

TheStang00
08-31-2005, 12:21 AM
i really dislike the standard gearboxes... i think they should at least let them choose between more comon sizes... that way they wouldnt be making those rediculous sizes and it would still save money.

beef_bourito
08-31-2005, 09:01 AM
i don't mind the gearboxes, i just think the reduced downforce is rediculus, 90%!?!?!? also the starter motors are stupid, these aren't street cars, they're purpose-built racecars and therefore should be treated that way. I'll still watch F1 but it will be a resentful viewing, i'll watch it untill another sport becomes more advanced. i just wish someone would start a league with very few restrictions, only stuff like engine size, maybe NA because they might be too fast turbo'd, and maybe stuff like adjustable wings, fans for downforce, stuff like that but nothing like restricting downforce or anything like that, oh and i'd want them to be open wheeled because they look cool even if they aren't as fast.

Paganizonda23
09-02-2005, 03:11 PM
The sport needs to return to the old days of Senna, Mansel ect. Its not a rcae to see who can spend as much money as possible and who can create the most technoligically advanced machine. This is great but it results in racing that puts you to sleep. Scrap the driver aids, bring back full slicks and get rid of the money making business attitude that formula one has hanging over it. Do this and and formula one could hit back. Maybe!

TheStang00
09-02-2005, 05:42 PM
The sport needs to return to the old days of Senna, Mansel ect. Its not a rcae to see who can spend as much money as possible and who can create the most technoligically advanced machine. This is great but it results in racing that puts you to sleep. Scrap the driver aids, bring back full slicks and get rid of the money making business attitude that formula one has hanging over it. Do this and and formula one could hit back. Maybe!

i think thats the idea of the new regulations, like i said i agree with all of it but the standard gear boxes.

Add your comment to this topic!