ALERO WON't START

cjones259
07-05-2005, 08:58 AM
My Alero GLS 2001 was starting fine until one day i went to the store and picked up somethings and returned to leave and my car would not start. all it would do was turn but would not start. Whats wrong.

BNaylor
07-05-2005, 11:07 AM
My Alero GLS 2001 was starting fine until one day i went to the store and picked up somethings and returned to leave and my car would not start. all it would do was turn but would not start. Whats wrong.

Is the engine cranking over and just not starting? How many miles are on your Alero? Sounds like a fuel or ignition problem otherwise.

How old is your fuel filter?

cjones259
07-05-2005, 11:33 AM
The engine turns but will not start, havent changed fuel filter since i bought it over a year ago.

GTP Dad
07-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Sounds like either a blocked fuel filter or a bad fuel pump to me. Fuel Pumps have a habit of going bad in that fashion.

cjones259
07-06-2005, 12:08 AM
I read a post where someone was having the same problem and a bad battery was their problem. That was my problem also, seem the positive post had corroded and had broken off inside the battery. New battery car started right up.

docswaim
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM

I currently have the same exact problem. I parked for breakfast, Sunday morning. Returned to car, and it would not start.

Problem has been developing, as often it would not immediately start. I would have to stop "cranking" on it, and turn off the ignition, then try it again. It always started, until Sunday morning.

After close to eight hours of attempted maintenance, here is what I know (or, am not sure of):

1. I have installed a brand new battery.
2. I have 55 psi fuel pressure.
3. Plugs (new ones) are firing.
4. Fuel tank is full.
5. The instrument one hooks up to the computer, finds no error code (a mechanic told me the code will not show up unless the engine is running--I guess you see that dilema, without my stating it).
6. Plan to change the fuel filter tonight. Why? I wonder if there could be good fuel pressure, but lack fuel flow (volume)?? But, with any fuel flow, it looks like it would at least fire, once in awhile.
7. About seven mechanics are so far stumped.
8. Last resort, if no success tonight, is to have it towed to a "professional" with diagnostic test equipment.

Any suggestions, help, attempts at helping, deeply appreciated.

GTP Dad
07-06-2005, 07:34 PM
What size engine do you have? Are you actually getting fuel through the fuel injectors to the cylinders? If there is no fuel to the cylinders then I would suggest that you replace the ECM as it is not triggering the injectors to discharge. 55 pounds of fuel pressure indicates that the fuel pump and pressure regulator are working. Since you said the plugs are firing then you either have a blockage that is not allowing the fuel to get to the injectors.

docswaim
07-06-2005, 08:40 PM
What size engine do you have? Are you actually getting fuel through the fuel injectors to the cylinders? If there is no fuel to the cylinders then I would suggest that you replace the ECM as it is not triggering the injectors to discharge. 55 pounds of fuel pressure indicates that the fuel pump and pressure regulator are working. Since you said the plugs are firing then you either have a blockage that is not allowing the fuel to get to the injectors.

I have a four cylinder...not sure the size...with double overhead cams.
Can you tell me where the ECM is...how to recognize it? (Actually, I am not the mechanic, but only the owner...a friend of mine is the mechanic). What you suggest is logical...I just didn't know what, or where to find, whatever controls the fuel flow through the injectors.

TIA

BNaylor
07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
I have a four cylinder...not sure the size...with double overhead cams.
Can you tell me where the ECM is...how to recognize it? (Actually, I am not the mechanic, but only the owner...a friend of mine is the mechanic). What you suggest is logical...I just didn't know what, or where to find, whatever controls the fuel flow through the injectors.

TIA

The 1999 to 2001 Aleros with the 4 cylinder should have a 2.4L engine. 2002 and up should have the 2.2L Ecotec.

docswaim
07-07-2005, 08:50 AM
The 1999 to 2001 Aleros with the 4 cylinder should have a 2.4L engine. 2002 and up should have the 2.2L Ecotec.

It is the 2.4.

I am having the beast towed this A.M. to a mechanic with diagnostic capabilities. I hope to know by lunch time what the ailment might be.
I'll keep all posted, in hopes it will help others.

Thanks.

docswaim
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
It is the 2.4.

I am having the beast towed this A.M. to a mechanic with diagnostic capabilities. I hope to know by lunch time what the ailment might be.
I'll keep all posted, in hopes it will help others.

Thanks.

Well...here goes...

I had my car towed into a mechanics shop, close by my house. I left it there, figuring he would put the diagnostic machine on it and find out my computer was malfunctioning.

Mind you, I attempted to start it just prior to the tow truck hooking up to it.

At the maintenance shop, the mechanic put the key in the switch...you guessed it...it started right up. Has been doing so successfully ever since.

All I can say, is, I Praise my Lord Jesus for the blessing. Amen!

docswaim
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Well...here goes...

I had my car towed into a mechanics shop, close by my house. I left it there, figuring he would put the diagnostic machine on it and find out my computer was malfunctioning.

Mind you, I attempted to start it just prior to the tow truck hooking up to it.

At the maintenance shop, the mechanic put the key in the switch...you guessed it...it started right up. Has been doing so successfully ever since.

All I can say, is, I Praise my Lord Jesus for the blessing. Amen!

Update:

In case anyone is still interested--

I drove my Alero, last week, from NC to NJ and back...about 1500 miles all total. I never had a minute's trouble with it: performed flawlessly.

This seems logical to me, but I will stand to be corrected. I have tentatively concluded that the battery was the problem. My theory: The battery was weak enough that it took "all" its power just to turn the engine over. The computer "concluded" that there was not enough power left to fire and run the engine, so it "told" the fuel injectors to shut down.

Why, however, it was two days after the battery was installed before the engine would crank, I have no clue.

What I am convinced of, is, that my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, brought about these problems to force me to perform needed maintenance, so I would be able to make the trip without incident (Romans 8:28). :smile:

docswaim
08-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I have a few previous posts you might want to read first.

At last, my starting problems are solved...well, we will see.

The 2001 owner's manual, p 2-20 has the answer. Otherwise, it is the "PassLock" light. With the ignition turned on, if the "security light" is flashing, leave it on for 10 minutes. The light will stop flashing, then turn off. Turn off the ignition, then start the car. It worked for me.

My transmission problems (see my last post) came from the mechanic not putting all the components back in place, under the hood. The "service engine soon" light came on, along with the "trac off" light. This A.M., the mechanic completed his job, reset the computer, and all is well.

I still don't know why the security light decides to turn on, perodically. I understand the dealer can bypass that system. We'll see what the future holds.

Many thanks to the one who suggested this solution, in an earlier post. I pray my Lord Jesus will bless you much, for you concern and kindness.

wepham
08-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Update:

In case anyone is still interested--

I drove my Alero, last week, from NC to NJ and back...about 1500 miles all total. I never had a minute's trouble with it: performed flawlessly.

This seems logical to me, but I will stand to be corrected. I have tentatively concluded that the battery was the problem. My theory: The battery was weak enough that it took "all" its power just to turn the engine over. The computer "concluded" that there was not enough power left to fire and run the engine, so it "told" the fuel injectors to shut down.

Why, however, it was two days after the battery was installed before the engine would crank, I have no clue.

What I am convinced of, is, that my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, brought about these problems to force me to perform needed maintenance, so I would be able to make the trip without incident (Romans 8:28). :smile:

Have them check the codes while its working fine. I had the exact same problem and there were multiple retained codes that pointed to the Passlock and Ignition Cylinder. Just got it fixed this week.

mrfixit64857
08-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Have them check the codes while its working fine. I had the exact same problem and there were multiple retained codes that pointed to the Passlock and Ignition Cylinder. Just got it fixed this week.That would have been my guess as well. The ignition sends different voltages to different systems, and even feedback is thru it. If youre trying to start it and one of the sensors is saying that the engine isnt turning, etc... the injectors will not allow fuel to pass. Not to mention these ignitions are PRONE to failure.

Add your comment to this topic!