Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alero 3.4 Engine Knock!!!

theemperor
07-05-2005, 12:12 AM
2001 Alero 3.4L. Our Engine just started knocking like crazy! To add to all of it, the engine light is flashing and the engine is vibrating too! Does anyone know what the heck is going on? The knock doesn't stop either. I took off the oil cap and the knock got considerably louder. Pushrods? Rocker arm? I'm worried something else has gone wrong with the car.

I have always been a GM fan but after the many fights I've had with them (intake gaskets, HUBS (the fourth one so far!), condenser) I've pretty much had it. Our next vehicle will most definitely NOT be a GM. I find it odd GM turned their back on many owners (including us) after these problems were experienced. No help is available unless you're under warranty and even then, one must "pull teeth" to get anything done. I'm sure all of you can share in my frustration. Shelling out $$$ for problems that re-occur is ludacris. It's almost like the powers that be at GM know we can do nothing about it while they coun't the $$$ that comes in from these problems. I'm sure GM has made more on service and maintenance than actual vehicle sales. Could this be a new money making tactic? Manufacture sub standard parts, then charge an arm and a leg only for those parts to fail in less than 6 months? I for one will not stand for it. After many bouts with head office, my last words were "I will never ever purchase another GM vehicle" I received no remorse from the other end. Only the words "Well Sir, it's your loss". My loss? I think not. If more and more people share my pain, GM and it's shareholders will eventually find themselves scraping to get by. No wonder the foreign markets keep reporting gains!

Shaun

BNaylor
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
2001 Alero 3.4L. Our Engine just started knocking like crazy! To add to all of it, the engine light is flashing and the engine is vibrating too! Does anyone know what the heck is going on? The knock doesn't stop either. I took off the oil cap and the knock got considerably louder. Pushrods? Rocker arm? I'm worried something else has gone wrong with the car.

I have always been a GM fan but after the many fights I've had with them (intake gaskets, HUBS (the fourth one so far!), condenser) I've pretty much had it. Our next vehicle will most definitely NOT be a GM. I find it odd GM turned their back on many owners (including us) after these problems were experienced. No help is available unless you're under warranty and even then, one must "pull teeth" to get anything done. I'm sure all of you can share in my frustration. Shelling out $$$ for problems that re-occur is ludacris. It's almost like the powers that be at GM know we can do nothing about it while they coun't the $$$ that comes in from these problems. I'm sure GM has made more on service and maintenance than actual vehicle sales. Could this be a new money making tactic? Manufacture sub standard parts, then charge an arm and a leg only for those parts to fail in less than 6 months? I for one will not stand for it. After many bouts with head office, my last words were "I will never ever purchase another GM vehicle" I received no remorse from the other end. Only the words "Well Sir, it's your loss". My loss? I think not. If more and more people share my pain, GM and it's shareholders will eventually find themselves scraping to get by. No wonder the foreign markets keep reporting gains!

Shaun

How many miles on your Alero? Have you done the basics first like spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. Sounds like its not hitting on all 6 cylinders.

Also check the condition of your engine oil. See if there's any coolant contamination or loss to check for possibility of intake or head gasket problems.

BLUE ZL600 EFI
06-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Same thing happened to me the other week while driving the wife's 02 Alero. Still under warranty, had it towed. Turned out to be a broken intake valve spring #3 cylinder. Just thought I would post incase it happens to anyone else and they do a search for it.

Add your comment to this topic!