Page updated on 11-17-2017

Trunk release won't work-Please help!

tjdowning
07-04-2005, 05:20 PM
My 1999 Cougar's trunk release won't work. It does not make a sound when I press it. The push button on the key chain does not work and the push button below the hood release does not work. This is my daughter's car and she is visiting us for a few days, so I would really appreciate any ideas. :screwy: Thanks!

gohuskers
07-09-2005, 10:51 PM
I have found that the only way to make the trunk release work is to have the car unlock.

tjdowning
07-10-2005, 04:56 PM
We have the same problem with doors locked or unlocked. :confused:

jakegday
07-11-2005, 09:51 PM
can you open the trunk with the key?

tjdowning
07-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Yes, but you know...it's kinda like losing the TV remote and you have to get off your duff and change the channel. :grinyes:
The auto door locks work in the car and from the remote.
Have sent for a manual for this car, maybe I'll be able to try some other things.
If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!

377trucker
07-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I had that problem on my 89 but if I pushed on the trunk lid while someone pushed the button, it worked. I took the lock out an sprayed WD-40 in the cable and that worked.

EGGON
09-17-2005, 11:07 PM
tjdowning, have you resolved the problem? i am having the EXACT same problem w/ car. some one said it might be the trunk release motor. so i will be researching that.

meaghaine
09-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I had the same problem and went home to visit and told my dad, who's a mechanic. He opened the trunk and bent the two little springs on either side of the latch inwards and stretched them upwards some. The springs wouldnt push the trunk up far enough before the latch closed. Try bending the springs and let me know!

jakegday
09-29-2005, 09:58 PM
thats exactly what i have to do, maybe once a month, just pull really hard on those 2 springs and its good for another month or so

however i dont think thats the problem that was originally stated, you can at least hear the clicking of the lock unlocking, he said he couldnt even hear that, which means its either something in the wiring, or just a bad "unlocking mechanism" (whatever its called)

Add your comment to this topic!