Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just a rant.

drunken monkey
07-04-2005, 10:59 AM
don't you just hate it when model producers make kits where you can't build the entire bodyshell in one go because then you can't squeeze in the chassis?
what you're left with is a choice between bably fitted panels or panel joins where there aren't supposed to be any.
right now, i have a jaguar xkss in pieces because i can't figure out how to get a perfectly smooth ONE PIECE body and still fit in the interior
AND
i have a completed 246GT body with a chassis that i can't get inside the shell.

futhermocking fudgepackers......

klutz_100
07-04-2005, 11:24 AM
tried a crowbar? j/k

I haven't yet come across this problem (of my four builds, 2 have been super fitting Tamiya's) but I've got to say I'm waiting for the day....

Just started a Monogram Esprit and I'm guessing that the day is close :) Dry fitting already highlighted a weird and wonderful construction strategy for fitting the chasis, valance and body together ! LOL

Just thought I'd join you in ranting a bit!

KTem
07-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, I know problem. I have built Revell Premium series BMW 850i and I had to do some assembling after the car had been painted and body put on chassis... A shame, but I had to.

Now I'm building BMW Alpina B7 of Revell Premium, and I encounter same problem... :shakehead

SteveK2003
07-04-2005, 11:31 AM
I think they are spoiled by plane guys who will spend hours detailing an interior and then glue it all into an un-finished fuselage, mask it off, and paint the rest of it.

It would be nice, but some designs just don't lend themselves to being assembled before you put the chassis in, especially older cars (R/C guys miss out on a lot of older cars because the overhangs need a special type of multi-piece buck that is very difficult and expensive to make).

I wouldn't mind having to assemble a body after the chassis is in place if it can be done easily without having to worry about glue seams or smears on the outside of it.

blubaja
07-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Ever tired airplane models? You have to build up the interior, then glue the fuselage halfs together and paint. Talk about a bitch.

RallyRaider
07-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I know what you mean about the Revell XKSS. I've spent a bit of time trying to figure out the same thing myself as part of a conversion to a short nose Jag D-Type

rsxse240
07-04-2005, 10:19 PM
how do you think the real car guys do it?

I understand your plight, but c'mon, that's where it all begins to be fun!!! use your imagination, tape and putty!! haha

I personally haven't built that car, but I went through the same thing with some old heller (I think) kits of 1/43 caddys, impalas, and 'vettes. just do it patiently, and take time and care, you'll have a really nice show piece when it's done

nniemi
07-04-2005, 11:27 PM

futhermocking fudgepackers......

It has to be the Fujimi kit, so here is my fix for the problem:

1. Cut about 2mm of the lower front of the chassis sidewalls (both sides)
2. Attach the rear part of the chassis only after you have attached the body. I'm meaning the part that has exhaust system fitted to it.

Even this way it is tight fit, but it can be done.

Results can be seen here:
http://public.fotki.com/nniemi/completed/dinos/

-Niko

freakmech
07-04-2005, 11:56 PM
I had this problem for the first time with my LM Contest entry. i noticed the problem to late and the first time trying to squeeze the body on i broke of about every glued piece of chassis. :banghead: eventually i figured i had to assemble the spare tire rack in the rear with tweezers after i put the body on. which meant i had to do this through a small hole in the rear of the car. :cya: this sucked!

lumpulus
07-05-2005, 10:11 AM

futhermocking fudgepackers......I had no problem with mine.
It can be done. :)

Add your comment to this topic!