Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'91 Z34 question.

Steel
07-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Yo guys. Im lucky enough to be getting a FREE '91 Z34 in good condition from my girlfriends parents to replace my RX-7 that's burning a big hole in my wallet. Anyway, she was telling me that before she stopped driving it, the car was randomly stalling at when coming to a stop. It's an auto if you haven't guessed, and one of my buddies says the fix to that (if it's what he thinks it is) is to inplug one wire that has something to do with the converter lockup. Or something. Any input? Oh yeah, the engine was replaced when one of her ex's hydrolocked the motor in a really DEEP puddle one day, so the chassis has 77k on it, and the motor....less.

Thanks for any advice.

Steel
07-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Ok, i made the mistake of doing the search AFTER posting the question. I'll have to drive the car around to be 100% its the TCC solenoid gone bad... but If it is... does anyone have a small writeup on how to get to it and replace it? I'm a newbie mechanic myself, but automatic transmissions are not my cup of tea. So I'm not afraid of dropping the motor mount and taking the cover off, beyond that point I need some help.

nymorey
07-04-2005, 08:09 AM
my son's 94 Z34 was stalling as soon as it came to a stop (idle). I cleaned the throttle body valve with some carbarator cleaner and that fixed the problem. It looked like the clearances are pretty tight and over time the dirt and crud built up enough to prevent good air flow so it was stalling. good luck

jeffcoslacker
07-04-2005, 11:01 PM
When they stall from TCC malfunction, they USUALLY will stall as soon as you try to put it in gear after a restart, very abruptly.

If your stalling is more "soft", I'd bet on a vacuum leak or IAC problem or dirty throttle plate sucking air as was said above.

Steel
07-05-2005, 12:09 AM
Oh, it's pretty abrupt. From what i hear, they got it started fine, but it would stall as soon as it was put into gear. So i'm putting money on the CC soleniod. Anyhoo, any writeups on the procedure for replacement? And its a 4T60 tranny, right?

jeffcoslacker
07-05-2005, 08:15 AM
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/aa011703a.htm

Everything you need to know about the job... :iceslolan

Steel
07-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Very interesting. My only concern is that the writeup is for the 3T40 transmission, and the author recommends against trying to do the same with the 4T40... now, the Z34 iirc uses the 4T60, so... i assume it's just as complicated at the 4T40.. should I be apprehensive, or was the author just covering his ass?

Steel
07-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Ok, switching gears here a bit (pun intended).

Now, I *KNOW* that the 5 speed manual was the STANDARD for the Z34, but MOST people got the OPTION of the automatic. Fine.... What the hell is the 5 speed? What i'm asking is.. what is the actual design number? I was poking around the web and found someplace that said it was the 5LM60, but wherever i see that referenced, its to a RWD truck of some sort. Does anyone KNOW for SURE what the 5 speed was in this car?

cadgear
07-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Fairly sure the Z34s had the HM 284 Getrags for their 5 speeds, and the typical 4T60s for their autos. Not 100%, but on up past 90% sure.

As far as replacing the solenoid, you get to have the fun of tearing into the side of the transaxle in order to get to this magic beast. Its not hard, but rather is a lot of things to unbolt, support, remember, and keep track of.

Steel
07-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks man. Depending on my mood if i want to source a manual tranny and its associated parts...I'll look inot it. But it's definetly plan B.

Right now I'm thinking about tearing our the valve body and bringing it to a good transmission shop to have them install the Sonnex valve kit, and replace the solenoid. I want taht valve kit because i guess thorugh age, the...certain valve whose name i can't remember wears out to the point that pressure wont stay behind the TCC, also causing shuddering or no lockup at all. Damn crappy 4T60E

richtazz
07-08-2005, 11:33 AM
A 91 with only 77k sits a bunch. Fluids sitting cause shellac and varnish to build up on parts which causes valves to stick. Don't blame the trans because of fluid and chemical dynamics. True there are problems with sticky TCC's, but most are on high mileage, abused examples, or those that have sat like yours. I had a 91 Grand Prix with 220k, and never had a trans problem because the previous owner and I did the maintenance properly.

jeffcoslacker
07-08-2005, 12:36 PM
A 91 with only 77k sits a bunch. Fluids sitting cause shellac and varnish to build up on parts which causes valves to stick. Don't blame the trans because of fluid and chemical dynamics. True there are problems with sticky TCC's, but most are on high mileage, abused examples, or those that have sat like yours. I had a 91 Grand Prix with 220k, and never had a trans problem because the previous owner and I did the maintenance properly.

Think it'd be worth a can of Seafoam or TransX before cracking it open? I don't personally think either will hurt anything, and sometimes frees up sticky parts within a few hundred miles.

richtazz
07-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I agree Jeff, it's worth a few bucks to try before dimantling the car, and those two products actually work.

Add your comment to this topic!