Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help !! 94 Geo prizm - stalling

Lollyann
07-03-2005, 09:35 PM
My daughter has a 94 Geo Prizm with 122,000 mi. She's been having troubles lately with it stalling when she slows down (about 5 mph) or stops at a light. It starts just fine. Also, when driving on the hwy (50 :confused: mph or faster) she notices the car starts feeling like it's jerking or lagging and the RPMs will drop and then increase again. Any ideas about what this could be? Her air filter was very dirty so we've changed that, she's putting a higher grade of gas in the tank, and has also added stuff for the fuel injectors. Next we'll be changing the fuel filter. Could it be the O2 sensor? If so, are those difficult to fix? My husband is reasonably good at working on cars. Thanks for any help.

alphalanos
07-03-2005, 09:38 PM
try replacing the actual injectors, spark plugs, wires, distributor and cap. oil change with high quality oil and filter. yes O2 sensor could also be it or catalytic convertor. try the cheapest fixes first then work up.

It is a car!
07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
The right term to use is 'higher Octane' gas.
Use higher 'grade' gas only if the car's Owner Manual calls for it.
otherwise it is wasted money.
contrary to belief-
Using a higher Octane gas than what is required for your particular car is actually a DISBENEFIT to your car's performance.

Alphalanos is right about starting from bottom up.
change the fuel filter first (it is one of those frequently forgotten maintenance items)
Then if that doesnt help use a fuel system cleaner (not a fuel injector cleaner) - fuel system cleaner is more potent.
I hope we helped.

The Russian Kid
07-27-2005, 12:27 PM
The right term to use is 'higher Octane' gas.
Use higher 'grade' gas only if the car's Owner Manual calls for it.
otherwise it is wasted money.
contrary to belief-
Using a higher Octane gas than what is required for your particular car is actually a DISBENEFIT to your car's performance.

Alphalanos is right about starting from bottom up.
change the fuel filter first (it is one of those frequently forgotten maintenance items)
Then if that doesnt help use a fuel system cleaner (not a fuel injector cleaner) - fuel system cleaner is more potent.
I hope we helped.

WHAT TYPE OF GAS SHOULD WE BUY?
What does it say in the owner manal?
On TV they said to check, but i dont have a manual.
For year 93-97 1.6 liter engines, anyone know?

It is a car!
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Like most cars, your 1.6L engine uses 87 Octane (Regular Gas)

Call the dealer,
They could look it up in their book.

achim59
07-27-2005, 05:03 PM
well,
my guess, it's more like faulty Fuel pump or pressure regulator if no check engine light is present...
I'm pretty sure it's not the Fuel Filter!
Most other sensors would throw an check engine light.

good luck...

jamesmetairie
07-29-2005, 02:55 AM
My daughter has a 94 Geo Prizm with 122,000 mi. She's been having troubles lately with it stalling when she slows down (about 5 mph) or stops at a light. It starts just fine. Also, when driving on the hwy (50 :confused: mph or faster) she notices the car starts feeling like it's jerking or lagging and the RPMs will drop and then increase again. Any ideas about what this could be? Her air filter was very dirty so we've changed that, she's putting a higher grade of gas in the tank, and has also added stuff for the fuel injectors. Next we'll be changing the fuel filter. Could it be the O2 sensor? If so, are those difficult to fix? My husband is reasonably good at working on cars. Thanks for any help.assuming it,s the 1.6 litre engine it could be distributor cap. i had similiar symtoms with my car. brought it to dealer for dyagnostic.($70.) then i bought cap from dealer and 100% o.k. tried best caps from autozone with no luck. had to be a dealer cap.

Add your comment to this topic!