2000 Kia Sportage

JesusFreak4Real
07-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Greetings everyone!!! I am new to this forum. I have a question - since it seems that 2000 Kia Sportages are a popular subject. My sportage will not start. It is turning over and trying to start, but it just doesn't seem to make it there. My husband and I replaced the fuel filter this morning. Had the battery out of it for about 2 hours. Anyway... when we took off the old filter and blew through it - there was some definite blockage. We put the new filter on and replaced the battery and started the car. WOOT!!! It started. Sluggish at first and then it died. Restarted it and drove it around the neighborhood. It did great at 30 mph so I got it on the interstate at 60 mph and had no problems. So I go down the road about 3 miles to the store and we're in the store for about 20 minutes or so. When we come back out the car won't start. It is turning over, but it just won't start. We filled up the gas tank a few days ago. The next day the problems started. At first it was just hard to start. Then it died while I was driving down the street. Pulled over, shut it off for about 10 seconds and then it started back and drove with now problems. It did this for 2 days after getting the gas tank filled. Then it wouldn't start. Any clues??? Could I have just gotten a full tank of extremely bad gas??? Have read reports of companies putting water in their fuel because of the gas prices. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

LMP
07-03-2005, 10:19 PM
What you describe looks like a common problem on that engine: crank position sensor (http://www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/cam_crank_sensors.jpg) failure. There have been tens of very similar stories that were instantly solved with the replacement of the crank position sensor. I personnally have not suffered this yet but at first sign of that symptom, I'll go right there

fastkia
07-05-2005, 09:42 PM
I would check that and also get a fuel sample just to make sure you have no water in the gas. Put it in a clean glass jar to be sure that you can see contaminants

JesusFreak4Real
07-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies and the help. So far it looks like it is the fuel pump. Which, through Kia is $331. However, I found a new Bosch Fuel Pump for my Kia through ebay. The ebay store is "Fuel Pump King" out of Miami, Florida. It only cost me $49 plus the overnight fee of $17.85. Which is much better than the Kia price. Anyway, if it turns out to be more than just the fuel pump, I'll let you know.
Again - Thanks!!!

Greetings everyone!!! I am new to this forum. I have a question - since it seems that 2000 Kia Sportages are a popular subject. My sportage will not start. It is turning over and trying to start, but it just doesn't seem to make it there. My husband and I replaced the fuel filter this morning. Had the battery out of it for about 2 hours. Anyway... when we took off the old filter and blew through it - there was some definite blockage. We put the new filter on and replaced the battery and started the car. WOOT!!! It started. Sluggish at first and then it died. Restarted it and drove it around the neighborhood. It did great at 30 mph so I got it on the interstate at 60 mph and had no problems. So I go down the road about 3 miles to the store and we're in the store for about 20 minutes or so. When we come back out the car won't start. It is turning over, but it just won't start. We filled up the gas tank a few days ago. The next day the problems started. At first it was just hard to start. Then it died while I was driving down the street. Pulled over, shut it off for about 10 seconds and then it started back and drove with now problems. It did this for 2 days after getting the gas tank filled. Then it wouldn't start. Any clues??? Could I have just gotten a full tank of extremely bad gas??? Have read reports of companies putting water in their fuel because of the gas prices. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

JesusFreak4Real
08-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Greetings again everyone!!! O.K., the mechanic I thought I could trust royally screwed me. It was not the fuel pump at all. He told me the old one didn't work. I told him I wanted the old pump he took off of the Kia. When I got it home, it worked. So, he couldn't fix my Kia and he said he had no idea what was wrong with it.
It was the EGI relay and the FUEL PUMP relay that had gone bad. Replaced them, $13.62 each at Kia. Car was still having a little trouble starting. However, my husband and I changed the spark plugs and now the car is up and running well. However, when the mechanic took out the fuel pump, he broke off 4 screws on the plate. So, he tried to drill new holes. When I filled my gas tank up I had a major leak. I am working on that now. Can only get a replacement piece from Kia if I buy the whole $331 pump assembly. Therefore, am working on making my own gasket. The only major problem I have is: can't fill the tank up right now and I have a vacuum leak. But, the car is starting and running well.
Hooray!!!! Thanks to those of you who replied. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hey, thanks for the replies and the help. So far it looks like it is the fuel pump. Which, through Kia is $331. However, I found a new Bosch Fuel Pump for my Kia through ebay. The ebay store is "Fuel Pump King" out of Miami, Florida. It only cost me $49 plus the overnight fee of $17.85. Which is much better than the Kia price. Anyway, if it turns out to be more than just the fuel pump, I'll let you know.
Again - Thanks!!!

Helixrider
08-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Again - Thanks!!!
Steve again, check the local wrecking yards, or on ebay for another pump, there was a guy parting out a '99 (8/25). also make sure the gasket on the filler cap is good. it has to turn 3 clicks to close. most of all have another mechanic run a code check. all those things should have showed up right away on a code scan. They should also check the fuel pressure, it has a critical specification. you might also look into having the injectors pressure cleaned down the road, if the filter was clogged, some junk might have gotten into the injectors. My mechanic did it by injecting methenol and water under pressure, while the engine was running, but you have to be really expecienced at doing that, or you could have a big problem. The throttle positioning sensor is also a culprit, but a code scan should weed it out. Note: check the connector that goes into the TPS also for corrosion, especially if you live near a salt air environment. Any mechanic with a code reader should be able to help you out.

Bizquick98
08-26-2005, 09:50 AM
This sounds like the same problems I'm currently having with my KIA Sportage. It just doesn't seam to start all the time. I use that fuel Injector cleaner and it works fine for about 1/2 a tank then the problem just comes back. I should try repalcing these things you did see if this helps I've done the fuel filter at 73,000 and its 81,000 now so I doubt thats the problem. Any other Ideas I should replace while I'm at it?

Add your comment to this topic!