Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why the obsession?

doublecurious
07-03-2005, 03:28 PM
I've seen some people that are posting that have posted hundreds or close to a thousand posts on this forum.

What is the draw? It has to have taken A LOT of time to read and post all of the comments. Not to offend anyone, really, just trying to understand... do some people have more time on their hands than others? What about other interests? or is this the main and/or only interest to some people? (Not saying that it's wrong at all).

Just curious.

jon@af
07-03-2005, 03:37 PM
well, depends on how often someone stops by. I've been here for going on three years and I've got 5300 posts. You've got to take into account that 3 years is a long time, and if I were to stop in when I felt the will to and post, depending on how many posts I make, it can add up rather quickly in the end.

I'm not obsessed by anymeans. With my position I add my comments as needed or as I feel I should. It really all depends on the person.

YogsVR4
07-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I have a lot of posts and I have a lot of time on my hands here at work. Once I start a build of my projects, I'll have several minutes to kill. It only takes a few seconds to read up on a post and if I feel like leaving a comment (which is often) it only takes a moment to do that. Several a day over a few years and viola!

BrodyP
07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
As stated above most of the people here are regulars and have time at work (desk jobs) and this keeps them occupied and busy. You can have 20-30 post in one day depending on the topics and the responses. There are so many different areas on this forum to explore and add ur opinion too.

cficare68
07-18-2005, 09:35 PM
I work as a helpdesk operator, so during the day when i am between calls, or waiting on someone to due something. I come here and just answer questions that i can. It really helps my 8 hour work day go by pretty quick

RSLaser
07-18-2005, 10:13 PM
I understand what your sayin...but remember just because they have thousands of posts doesnt mean their opinion is "better", also when your tryin to bring up your count dont postwhore.

-Josh-
07-22-2005, 09:53 AM
I've been going to clinics to help me with my addiction...unfortunately they haven't been able to find a cure for it... :crying:

Jimster
07-23-2005, 08:11 AM
I've got nothing better to do 75% of the time.

The other 25% of the time I use AF to avoid doing "better things"

jcsaleen
07-24-2005, 01:09 AM
I've got nothing better to do 75% of the time.

The other 25% of the time I use AF to avoid doing "better things"

Im with him on that. AF is a good stress relief to sometimes. Some of like to discuss about automotives in depth an that can be in some cases over 50 posts in one topic. Off topic discussions are fun as well. It gives us something to do at work or when were bored. Its like aim but not as instant or more wide spread answers in a sence.

KustmAce
07-26-2005, 12:37 AM
^What they said

xeroinfinity
08-03-2005, 08:47 PM
this place is great! if your stuck and are broke, like most of us are, its a great feeling knowing You diagnosed and fixed your Ride! Obsesive it could bee, but only to Us true Mechanics, I'm sure we might seem Obsessed. But Postwhores come on... I'm a newie and upon looking for something specific, I like to help others out along my way:) Because I've been there, stumped, dumbfound and all. Even might loose sleep over a problem, but I sure feel better when the jobs done.OCD is over rated \,,/ \,,/

ghetto7o2azn
08-10-2005, 04:11 AM
its all about the stars... basically if you have all the stars you become an af master thus no one can argue with you or else theyll get banned because by then youve made so many posts everyone knows you including the admins and mods who run the forum.... everyone in af is trying to achieve this power including i

right now you have aquired 0/10 stars meaning you are of the af ultra noobs so it would be smart to become a post whore to begin your journey to become a pokemon master

actually, dont become a post whore...

this post was basically due to the inability to sleep because of too much caffine... this place is actually not filled with losers as you may have infered due to this post

i hope you like it here at af, and yes the posts due build up quickly... fortunately you wont deal with many posts like this, because 2:00am only comes arround once a day

Igovert500
08-16-2005, 03:55 PM
I've been going to clinics to help me with my addiction...unfortunately they haven't been able to find a cure for it... :crying:

It's called Methadone :iceslolan

lamehonda
08-19-2005, 12:21 AM
For me it's AF or Crack.

I don't have enough money for the latter.

thecackster
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Methadone, that is some serious pain killer right. Or is that the serious sleepy pill? I know my dad takes it, he got hit by lightining? :shakehead worst luck ever

twospirits
08-19-2005, 11:01 AM
The short and bottom line answer is, AF is addictive.

The long answer is..
The information and knowledge one gathers here in AF can't really be compared to any other site and is quite unique. This leads to more questions and answers in some sections. True, there are other model specific forums which one can go to know all there is about their vehicle. But here in AF, all vehicles are represented under one roof. One can discuss stuff about their vehicle and quickly jump to Comparisons, Detailing, Violations, and Technical as as well as other models in an instant. If you look at some of the members with high post counts in their profile, it shows how many posts per day the member usually does. 10-15 posts a day is nothing compared to the amount of ground that AF covers. Add up 10 a day, for the years some have in here and you can quickly see why the post counts are high. Plus as true Auto Enthusiasts, we tend to wander around other makes and models to join in on the discussions. We end up making online friends, some which we actually meet. This makes us have more discussions.
You too, will see this to be true in a year or so. Plus its fun being here.

So sit back, read, post and learn but have fun doing it.

TS out

xeroinfinity
08-19-2005, 01:23 PM
ya what twospirits said! i like to wander round several different areas. I probley spend more time reading posts than anything. Theres always more to learn, even if youre the seasoned mechanic.

Just because someone has a gazillion stars doesnt mean you know all the answers either. We all have one thing in common here, we lov automobils plain and simple. \,,/ \,,/

Wisconsin Woodsman
11-07-2005, 10:19 PM
I figure I will start here cuz I have no place in the woods to plug in my computer so I guess I'll stay home

alphalanos
11-07-2005, 10:23 PM
i just click on AF first thing when i get on my computer. i always look at the "current topics" box or whatever to see if theres anything interesting.

KatWoman097
11-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Forums are a great place to shoot the bull, get all kinds of info you wouldn't have otherwise found on your own, and a great way to make some connections. Granted you do have to be careful when meeting people from the web in person, but in alot of cases people become good friends or find golden opportunities because of forums.

Add your comment to this topic!