Another SS.

BullDog71ss
07-03-2005, 02:41 PM
Well, yesterday morning I picked up by brand new car. It's a Rally yellow Cobalt SS and dammit, I love this friggin car. Chevy could'nt have done much better on these cars.

My only complaint is the wing blocks most of the vehicles that are about 20 yrds back. Ah well.

I've also got a kill with it already. A good kill at that. My buddy has a modded Civic Si (1992ish i think) with an engine swap, cams, intake, full exhaust w/ header and it's 5 spd. He thinks it's puts out somewhere near 190-200 N/A HP to the crank. So the buddy with the Si shows up to the little shindig we were having lastnight at my friends house and sees my car. He admires it for a bit and says "you wanna race?." My reply is "Sure. Why the heck not?."

Anywho, the first race we started from a 1st gear roll at about 10-15 mph. We didnt honk it off or yell to eachother so I just waited for him to gun it. When he did I followed suit, I put a half car length on him through first but completely missed second gear and he blew by. I could hear our buddies on the side of the road laughing cause they thought I got be real bad (which technically I did). After this little mishap I also realized the A/C was on, so I figured it wouldnt hurt to turn that off for the second time around. I yelled out the window to him that I missed second and had the A/C on and wanted another run. He was happy to oblige.

Second race started the same way the first did. I was about half a car length on him while we were cruising so I waited for him to jump it. He nails it and I wait for him to get to my front bumper before I nail it. I put about a car length on him for each gear up through 3rd at about 65-70 which puts me about 3-4 lengths ahead at the end. I was really surprised at this as I had figured he'd pull me the entire time.

Damn, I can't express how much I love this car. What a kick ass daily driver it makes. :iceslolan

Now I really can't wait for the Camaro to be operational again.

ZackKVtec
07-03-2005, 02:53 PM
sounds sick man, you going to mod the cobalt at all?

-The Stig-
07-03-2005, 02:59 PM
missed second and had the A/C on... sounds like excuses. ;)

And, why are you racing the car when you just got it? Isn't there a break in period?

BullDog71ss
07-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Planned mods are as follows:

-K&N CAI
-SFP blower pulley (not sure how many more lbs yet)
-Magnaflow catback
-Water/methonal injection
-30 lb injectors (give or take)
-Greddy emanage piggyback (depending on how well they work out on other's test vehicles)

That's all I've got for performance for now. I may look into the GM concept body kit if they are in fact going to be selling it as well.

BullDog71ss
07-03-2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, I couldnt help myself tho. I'm bad, I know.

It did at least have 200 miles on it before I got on it though (I did a lot of driving yesterday). Also I didnt take it passed 5400 rpm, so at least I wasnt redlining it. That's all for my shinanigins untill 1000+ miles.

On another note it's get's awesome gas mileage. 30+ on average, way better than the 10-12 my truck was getting...woohoo

Redcivic3
07-03-2005, 08:08 PM
the cobalt is a very quick car ! nice purchase.
it puts down something like 217 FWHP stock.
my only complaint is the value feel of the interior, minus the seats.

BullDog71ss
07-03-2005, 09:32 PM
the cobalt is a very quick car ! nice purchase.
it puts down something like 217 FWHP stock.
my only complaint is the value feel of the interior, minus the seats.

Thanks alot man.

As far as the interior goes, I have no complaints. I've been in many sport compacts that are in my price range and in my opinion, the cobalt's has been the nicest overall. Just one man's opinion though.

Another thing I love about it is the stereo. No other sport compact that i've seen has a stereo that comes even close to the Cobalt's Pioneer system. For having just one 10 inch woofer in a small box, that thing rocks!

chevytrucks92
07-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Sounds nice man. The Cobalts are pretty cool lookin little cars.

TatII
07-04-2005, 03:11 AM
theres nothing wrong with the cobalt interior. the cobalt and the ford 5 hundred are a relevation in american car interior standards. very very nice indeed.

BullDog71ss
07-04-2005, 04:15 AM
I can also vouch for the fact that it's a revelation in American fwd handling. It's scary how well it corners. Can't wait for aftermarket sways now.

I've also found one more thing that irks me about the car. It gets it's peak power at around 6200 rpm. But the damn limiter is set around 6800 rpm. So you're in the peak powerband for way too little time. You can tell it wants way more revs than the 6800 limit too, but you get cut short. I'd really like to have that stock limit bumped up about 500 rpm or so. Just not sure if it's safe on that ecotec. Feels like it could handle the extra revs tho, so I dunno...

Oh yeah, it's too slow now...I NEED more power!!! :evillol:

-The Stig-
07-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Already pounding it... barely a few days old...

Poor Cobalt... :(

BullDog71ss
07-04-2005, 05:16 AM
I figure if I grenade it before the 34k warranty I'll be alright ;)

J/k..just cause i've messed with how it handles and done some slow rolling accelerations don't mean I'm beating on it. I'm being gentle as a lamb(for the most part)...averaging 25-28 mpg in city in fact. If you drive like a maniac you get maniac gas mileage. And that is definetly not maniac gas mileage :)

A friend did that with his z24 cavy tho. It was an auto too. I dunno how he blew that shit up. GM actually replaced the thing. Lucky him.

Rally Sport
07-04-2005, 07:56 AM
Damn man I think you should've atleast wait a week to get used to the car, you're jumping on the thing. Ya know..calm first, psycho later!

Drifty
07-04-2005, 10:00 AM
nice car just take it easy i still havent seen one of those cars in my area

CBFryman
07-04-2005, 11:15 AM
New Zo6 > All domestic performance as of yet

505hp...going to eat the viper...

Rally Sport
07-04-2005, 07:05 PM

Its amazing how Chevy just catches up to the horsepower that a V10 is making with a V8 and good fuel economy.

BullDog71ss
07-04-2005, 10:17 PM

Haha. Of course it's better than all the other domestics. Besides the S7 that is...

But i never pawned my car off as being greater than anything, so I don't really understand what you're trying to get at... :confused:

pre98zetec
07-05-2005, 12:00 AM
I heard somewhere, I think it was from -Jayson- That the 2.0 ecotec has no break in period, So wromping on it shouldn't hurt it a bit.

-Jayson-
07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
no any new engine has a break in period, thats a given. What i said, is this. A rumor was going around that the car limited the RPMS/PSI/HP for like the first 1,000 miles. That is actually not true at all, it was something the dealers started saying because people test driving them said they felt slugish.

I like the Cobalt SS S/C, but the first thing i would do if i got one would be to sell that supercharger and slap on a turbo. I think Gm really hurt the potential of that car by putting a supercharger on it thats designed for up to a 4.0 V6 engine. That charger has got to be taken alot of HP away from the engine. An eaton M62 on a 2.0L engine? Come on GM get your head straight. That engine screams to be turboed, if it makes 205HP with 12 PSI on an oversized supercharger, just imagine what it could do with a turbo.

tha_new_guy
07-05-2005, 12:25 PM
Sounds like a great ride, but once you get the mod bug and get the smaller pulley/bigger injectors, your fuel economy is going to go to shit.

If this is your commuter, better take it easy with the mods, it might start to get annoying to drive a race car to work....

Then again, I wouldn't mind....

pre98zetec
07-05-2005, 01:33 PM
no any new engine has a break in period, thats a given. What i said, is this. A rumor was going around that the car limited the RPMS/PSI/HP for like the first 1,000 miles. That is actually not true at all, it was something the dealers started saying because people test driving them said they felt slugish.
Ahh, I missunderstood you then.

BullDog71ss
07-05-2005, 06:29 PM

I like the Cobalt SS S/C, but the first thing i would do if i got one would be to sell that supercharger and slap on a turbo. I think Gm really hurt the potential of that car by putting a supercharger on it thats designed for up to a 4.0 V6 engine. That charger has got to be taken alot of HP away from the engine. An eaton M62 on a 2.0L engine? Come on GM get your head straight. That engine screams to be turboed, if it makes 205HP with 12 PSI on an oversized supercharger, just imagine what it could do with a turbo.

That could very well be...but, the car puts down around 200-205 to the wheels stock, which means something like 225-230 to the crank. GM has them underrated a bit. And they are a little sluggish untill broken in a bit. It's got just under 1000 miles now and it feels much more lively. As a matter of fact, I destroyed a new Acura RSX type S lastnight from a 1st gear roll while I was in a 2 car length deficit at the start, and I had 3 passengers as opposed to the RSX's 2 passengers. The driver of the car who is a friend of a friend went with me for a little ride in my car after we did our little run. He confessed to me that it pulled much harder than his throughout the entire power band. And my car cost me about 3 g's less than him

You can all put this thing down all you want. But Chevy did a great job on these cars...they are no joke.
As for my modding...I'm going to stop at around 300-320 BHP. Once I have that I'll be satisfied.

I'm not stating that this car is in any way better than any other cars out there. All I have to say is that I love it as a daily driver and that Chevy hit the nail on the head with this car. You'd have to drive one to know why.

Oh, Jason...you'd go ahead and void the factory warrenty on a brand new car by spending 4500+ dollars putting a turbo on it thinking that will solve it's problems? Common man, I know you're not that stupid.

-Jayson-
07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
yes i would, i did it with my cavalier. I voided the warranty on my 2300 dollar supercharger and the other warranty on the car. Its not stupid, i just enjoy trying to make my car as fast as possible. And no GM did not under rate those cars, lets think this over for just a minute.

Who is more qualified to tell you the HP rating of your engine? A guy who works at a dyno shop making an hourly wage and has a GED? Or a GM engineer paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a year with prolly a master in automotive engineering? Yeah i think GM is right. DYNO numbers can easily be manipulated. And its also a fact that insurance companies do not rate a car on its HP rating from the factory. Sorry for those who think it does.

Nice kill on the RSX i believe you beat it pretty bad. Considering you have a very flat power curve as opposed to the extreme HP spike that RSX has. Also last 2 times ive been at the track ive seen 2 different Saturn Ion Redlines running, neither one of them could touch the 14's.

Dont get me wrong, i love the Cobalt SS and what GM is doing with it, its about time they made a good fun sports coupe. Im jsut a realist, im not gonna stare at all the glit and glammer and ignore the obvious flaws. I love the 2.0 Ecotec engine, who wouldnt love it? When they come out with the Cobalt SS with the 178HP 2.4L Ecotec with VVT, i might actually buy that. I think that car could easily destroy a SS S/C with a good NA job.

Nice car man, have fun with it. If you dont like someone elses opinion or dont agree with it, just ignore it or accept that not everyone feels the same way you do.

BullDog71ss
07-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I've recently found out that Chevy has in fact NOT underated the Cobalt SS. They did something even sneakier. They posted the 205 bhp @ 5800 rpm, which is correct. The thing is, the Cobalt gets it's max power after 6500 rpm. Guys are dynoing these things bone stock @ 215-225 whp when doing dyno passes up to 6800 rpm(and have the dyno sheets to prove it). When you calculate drive train loss that's close to 250 bhp. I'm assuming this is Chevy's ace in the hole with the Cobalt SS.
I've also heard that many ppl are taking their stock cars into the low 14's as opposed to high 14's. I've yet to see this but will find out for myself in a week or 2 as I've figured out how to launch with my open front end.

TatII
07-07-2005, 10:39 AM
it is kinda hard to cheat your way with a boosted car to get it read a higher from the factory when its bone stock.

i know that performance parts companies likes to exagerate their claims by dynoing a hot or worn stock car to get a lower base line number, then get a fresh and cool car with the parts installed to get exagerated claim numbers.

but this is the exact opposite, unless chevy is putting their cobalt SS's on the dyno in 90% humidity at a 105 degree dyno room to get their engine dyned, i don't see how the numbers would read 20 whp less then what everyone else is getting. people do underate cars you know, the LS1 is a perfect example, its trap speed to power to weight ratio shows that the engine does not make 315 crank hp but more like 315 whp.

why do companies underate cars? no clue.

edit:
and yes bulldog is right, i forgot that if you look at the powercurve for the supercharged ECOTEC's they don't stop making power. the power curve is a straight 45 degrees all the way to redline, it never drops. if the engine can rev to 7000 rpm it would probrably still be making power. so them rating the engine @ 5800 rpm is just weird.

BullDog71ss
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
it is kinda hard to cheat your way with a boosted car to get it read a higher from the factory when its bone stock.

i know that performance parts companies likes to exagerate their claims by dynoing a hot or worn stock car to get a lower base line number, then get a fresh and cool car with the parts installed to get exagerated claim numbers.

but this is the exact opposite, unless chevy is putting their cobalt SS's on the dyno in 90% humidity at a 105 degree dyno room to get their engine dyned, i don't see how the numbers would read 20 whp less then what everyone else is getting. people do underate cars you know, the LS1 is a perfect example, its trap speed to power to weight ratio shows that the engine does not make 315 crank hp but more like 315 whp.

why do companies underate cars? no clue.

edit:
and yes bulldog is right, i forgot that if you look at the powercurve for the supercharged ECOTEC's they don't stop making power. the power curve is a straight 45 degrees all the way to redline, it never drops. if the engine can rev to 7000 rpm it would probrably still be making power. so them rating the engine @ 5800 rpm is just weird.

Just Chevy's honest way of cheating the system is all :lol2:

-Jayson-
07-07-2005, 10:32 PM
Just Chevy's honest way of cheating the system is all :lol2:

what system are they cheating?

BullDog71ss
07-07-2005, 10:40 PM
What reason do auto companies have to underate their vehicles other than for insurance reasons?

drftk1d
07-08-2005, 08:51 AM
What reason do auto companies have to underate their vehicles other than for insurance reasons?

get the one up on other companies. sorta like a twisted version of the japanese gentleman's agreement.

-Jayson-
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM

none, like i said before, insurance companies dont rate cars on there HP rating. Thats why it seems dumb that GM would under rate the car.

Ace$nyper
07-08-2005, 10:38 AM
none, like i said before, insurance companies dont rate cars on there HP rating. Thats why it seems dumb that GM would under rate the car.
from what i'm told its marketing
next year if sales drop OMG its gained 10 HP but nothings changed just used real #s

This is just what i've heard not sure if true.
seems to be logical though.

drftk1d
07-08-2005, 09:25 PM
pardon my ignorance, but why then is it more costly to insure a corvette than an integra?

CassiesMan
07-09-2005, 12:27 AM
pardon my ignorance, but why then is it more costly to insure a corvette than an integra?

Its a faster car. Two doors, lighter, and you also have to look at the safty ratings. And you dont buy a 'Vette to go gorcery shopping. Also, age of driver, motor size (V8, V6, I6, I4, etc.) also play a part. There are a ton of factors. Hell, I've heard color plays a part. And if they do use hp as a judge...then why is my buddies truck cost less to insure than my BMW? Also, the rate of car theft involving the car is a big thing as well. There are TONS of factors, but to my knowledge, car HP isn't one of them.

Best example I can give personally. My buddy is 21. He drives a Honda Prelude, has one ticket, no accidents, the car is not modded, the ticket was for illegal parking, and he gets pretty good grades in school. However, he is under 26, not married, and lives on his own. My neighbor has a Dodge Viper, no tickets, no accidents. Hes 53, married, and has two kids and a steady job. The prelude costs more per month to insure than the Viper by I believe 50 bucks.

drftk1d
07-09-2005, 11:20 AM
simply cuz they fuck over young males.

also a factor is if you smoke or not.

i guess what i was thinking is that its more money to insure a faster car (usually) than a slower one, all other variables constant.

-The Stig-
07-10-2005, 05:12 AM
Its a faster car. Two doors, lighter, and you also have to look at the safty ratings. And you dont buy a 'Vette to go gorcery shopping. Also, age of driver, motor size (V8, V6, I6, I4, etc.) also play a part. There are a ton of factors. Hell, I've heard color plays a part. And if they do use hp as a judge...then why is my buddies truck cost less to insure than my BMW? Also, the rate of car theft involving the car is a big thing as well. There are TONS of factors, but to my knowledge, car HP isn't one of them.

Best example I can give personally. My buddy is 21. He drives a Honda Prelude, has one ticket, no accidents, the car is not modded, the ticket was for illegal parking, and he gets pretty good grades in school. However, he is under 26, not married, and lives on his own. My neighbor has a Dodge Viper, no tickets, no accidents. Hes 53, married, and has two kids and a steady job. The prelude costs more per month to insure than the Viper by I believe 50 bucks.

Don't forget Robert that the older guy has years of driving experiance compared to your friend. And probably has had years of good driving meaning no wrecks or tickets.

Also, factor in if the Viper is paid for or not... a vehicle with no lien on it costs less to insure. It's usually 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of a vehicle that you're still paying on.

Go to [url]www.progressive.com[/com] and do a quote for your BMW. See what the price would be for it... and then see what I'd be if you paid it off and had just the basic insurance. It's a fraction.

Oh, don't forget the Viper probably isn't his only car... so the insurance people know it's driven on occasion rather than everyday. Plus, they probably figure it spends most of it's life in the garage. So the likely hood of a theft is lower than that of a Prelude on the street.

Like you said, all kinds of factors... they get ya comin and goin... all you can do is hold your ankles each time you get the bill. :disappoin

Add your comment to this topic!