Frozen Left Rear Wheel

dogtired78
07-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone,

My soon-to-be ex-wife abandoned our 2001 Elantra in a nearby town about three weeks ago. I just found out and went to get it on Friday. According to her, the car was fine when she parked it.

I checked the engine, fluids, tires, and undercarriage when I found it. Everything looked clean. Tires were inflated. No leaks that I could see. Engine turned over fine. Manual transmission shifted fine, clutch moved fine.

Anyway, when I put it in reverse, the left rear wheel was frozen. Wouldn't turn at all. Front wheel drive seemed fine and the car just pushed that left rear tire across the ground. Right side rear seems fine. The vehicle emitted a nasty, burned-plastic smell. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the tranny or the wheel.

Any ideas? My access to the car is limited because its parked at her boyfriend's house, but I plan on going over there in a few days and taking the wheel off to see what's going on with the drum brake and e-brake. I'm guessing everything is rusted up from 3 weeks of sitting. Anybody encounter this problem before?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

cbeck
07-09-2005, 09:48 AM
e-brake up?

[edit: hmm... how and when did this get posted? I was gonna write a response, then got sidetracked... Well, anyway... Just listen to the guy below me. where I was going with the e-brake up was towards locked shoes, which could happen if it was driven while left up... ]

nippjas
07-09-2005, 10:19 PM
The car is front wheel drive, so a locked rear wheel doesn't sound like a tranny issue to me. What I would check for are two seperate things. First pull the tire and check is the rear brake is frozen, perhaps even a frozen parking brake. Second, and I have seen this before, is a spun wheel bearing. But I usually see this one with disc brakes.

Is the Elantra a GT or a GLS?

When you put it in gear does it try to move?

dogtired78
07-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I was leaning toward a frozen e-brake as well. I got it free today and thought I'd update with what I found.

Couldn't get down to its location sooner because its parked in my wife's boyfriend's apartment driveway. We work together on the ambulance squad (yeah, its pretty freakin' uncomfortable) so I had to wait until his duty day came up and I was off.

Now, the Elantra was sitting in the driveway for 3-4 weeks with the e-brake engaged. When I had to try to break it lose before, I had no luck. Got a nice stink coming from up front, but I think it was the clutch getting all hot and bothered. I could get the car to move, but the left rear wheel remained frozen.

Anyway, got the wheel off. E-brake was definitely tight on the drum. I worked it back and forth and got it lose a little bit. Pulled the drum off and sure enough, there was wicked rust/corrosion where the shoes had gotten stuck up against the inside of the drum. Used some Break-Away on the spring and adjusted the shoes a bit. Got the drum back on and the whole assembly spun nice and easy. Put the wheel back on and drove it up to the ambulance bay (we have a nice garage and a hell of a great mechanic/emt working for us...thanks, Jim, for the help!).

So everything looks good. I'm going to change the oil and check the other fluids. Car drove fine...just like when I used to take care of it. :)

So anyway, thanks for the help everyone. Now...does anyone want to buy a 2001 Elantra GLS blue-green with tan interior? Manual. 78k miles. Pioneer CD and speakers. Good paint, no rust, good body. Brand new tires. Brand new winter tires too. Blue book is $4,625 for the car but I'm only looking for $3900 for everything (just to pay off the loan and get rid of the damn thing...bad memories and all that:))

e-mail me at dogtired78@hotmail.com if you're interested. I live just south of Montpelier, VT.

Wa jang chang
03-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I have 2001 elantra GLS and want to do a brake job (rear wheel). Anyone know a good website showing some step by step instructions with illustrated part breakdown? Last time I did a rear brake job was on 1985 Honda Accord so it has been awhile. Any pointer will be appreciated.

wa jang chang

Add your comment to this topic!