Downshifting to slow down....

Kang114
07-02-2005, 06:38 PM
HEy guys, just wondering how you guys down shift to slow down. Do you simply put it into a lower gear then just let out the clutch or do u rev match first then let out the clutch. I always felt somehow that downshifting to slow down wore the clutch out quicker so.

-The Stig-
07-02-2005, 06:41 PM
I either rev match by doing a slight heel-toe action. Or I just downshift and let the clutch out.

Depends on the situation or what I feel like doing.

illegal_eagle187
07-02-2005, 10:08 PM
i rev match

BullShifter
07-04-2005, 11:08 PM
You should rev match with any down shift to prevent strain & stress on the trans.

If you know how to shift clutches wear more from starting from a stop than shifting.

If your worried about clutch wear, DONT USE IT! With the right technique up an down shifts can be done very smoothly. Do it wrong and count on tearing up a trans and even possibly an engine.

MackM
12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
I have a question concerning the topic.

I always used the transmission to slow down on my Elantra, and the brakes at last resort.

Now I bought myslef a Honda Prelude 1988, and its terrible when it comes to using the trany, it barely brakes, my question is it because its an old engine and its overused or could it be because its a hydraulic clutch? Or the brake pads arent good enough(cause the car does have weak brakes)?

Any ideas?

BullShifter
12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Brakes are meant for stopping.

MackM
12-29-2005, 03:51 PM
Thats why we use the transmission to slow down, not to "brake".

SiGNAL748
12-29-2005, 04:29 PM
O Rly?

beef_bourito
12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
when i downshift to accelerate i double clutch and rev match, when i'm downshifting when i'm slowing down i just stick it in neutral and wait until the tranny lets me put it in, then let out the clutch. with that i don't use the clutch to match revs and it's smooth.

CBFryman
01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Beef, that is why you would be slower at the track.
:)

In dialy situations engine braking can be done simply by rev matching and then completely letting out the throttle. The higher the compression of the engine the more effective engine braking is, also, the easier it is for the engine to flow its own air the less effective engine braking will be (ie it will slow down the vehicle at a lwoer rate).

Assuming racing situations the brakes should be the priamry device for stopping. the engine simply cannot stop the car fast enough. you should be at or near the limits of your brakes in all braking situations unless yo uare experencing fade and are leaving margin for error. the reason your rev match and down shift in racing is because you want to be AT THE SPEED YOU ARE GOING TO CARRY THROUGH THE CORENR RIGHT WHEN YOU ENTER IT!

Key word being CARRY, you should ALWAYS be under power when in a corner. why?

for hte 1st part of the Apex (assuming you know how to apex, if not its the first part of the turn, before you start straightining the wheel out) you are going to CARRY your speed. when approaching the 2nd part of the apex (or when you start to straighten out the wheel) you should GRADYALLY get on the throttle to ACCELERATE through the apex (wow, doesnt that sound familure).

down shiting, and letitng out the clutch w/o rev matching at least a little bit will do one of two things.

1st, assumeing its is a quick release of the clutch the car will jerk to a lower speed putting a lto of strees on the motor, syncronisers, and rear end (transaxle).

2nd you will gradually let out the clutch, this smooths out any jerks but yo uare dragging your clutch while your syncro's do their job...not good for oyur clutch at all. if you like replacing the clutch often go ahead and do this all day long.

:)

beef_bourito
01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I was talking about a daily driving situation, if i went to a track i'd practice heel and towing and whatnot. for a daily driving situation it's fine.

ZuLater
04-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Anyone who downshifts to slow down by dropping gears and releasing the clutch is a newb at best. Rev-match downshifts, period.

Chiquae07
04-11-2006, 01:20 AM
zulater, check teh dates b4 u post....u brought back up a 3 month old thread.

btw, welcome to AF. hope you dont cause too much 1st 100 post questions..there is a google af search bar at the top of every forum page so you know.

Add your comment to this topic!