Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rough idle, Very Strong Exhaust Fumes, Feels like it misses, Ect...

b1gs3xy
07-02-2005, 05:42 AM
I posted a few days ago, not getting responses. I hace read a ton of these posts and I think I may have that CPI Problem. Does anyone know if you should be getting a check engine light or any bad codes? I do not get any bad codes since I fixed my EGR Valve Problem, but only ran good for about a month and now with all my new problems as mentioned in my other post this thing gets worse every day. Please respond and give me ideas. I don't feel like doing what others have done and let shops make me replace everything that doesn't need to be replaced. Also I have been noticing if I start my truck after sitting for hours and shut it off after a few minutes the water pump will leak pretty bad for a few minutes. Then when I start it again it stops leaking. Alot of times I notice if I run it for a while and shut it off there is no leak. Also, if I have to also replace the water pump is it a hard job? and should I check the timing chain/belt at the same time since I should be able to get to it at that point. 1995 Jimmy 4.3 Vortec. Thanks, Rob.

demotim00
07-02-2005, 07:34 AM
Well I just got done going through the same problem myself on rough idle, missing, strong exhaust fumes, piss poor gas mileage, and all related to the CPI. It did only get alot worse after time when on, and got to the point I could barely drive it. After taking off the vortec cover and looking down through the IMTV, I was able to see washing on both the passanger and driver side, which from the forums I knew meant I had a leak from the CPI and Nut Kit. I had a shop replace both of them for me which was right over $500 including labor. It runs great now. As far as any warning lights(engine lights), or codes I did not have any popping up either. So personally I would recommend either pulling the upper plenum(some people here in the forums recommend it) or what I and others done, and that is just pulling the vortec cover and looking through the IMTV. If you see any signs of washing from fuel than there is a problem. If its on the passanger side, its the CPI and if its on the driver side, its the nut kit. Hope this helps you out.

drdd
07-02-2005, 10:49 AM
does your oil smell like gas?

check for washing. If it is washing, don't drive it, fix the cpi, and change your oil

changing your water pump is not difficult. Do a search. Someone had a very detailed post on how to do this. If you dont find it, search on the Chevy Blazer section.

Also, double check that it is for sure the water pump that is leaking. I'd also suspect an intake manifold leak. Check for wet spots around the manifold gasket. Look for wetness at the weephole on the bottom of the water pump.

I posted a few days ago, not getting responses. I hace read a ton of these posts and I think I may have that CPI Problem. Does anyone know if you should be getting a check engine light or any bad codes? I do not get any bad codes since I fixed my EGR Valve Problem, but only ran good for about a month and now with all my new problems as mentioned in my other post this thing gets worse every day. Please respond and give me ideas. I don't feel like doing what others have done and let shops make me replace everything that doesn't need to be replaced. Also I have been noticing if I start my truck after sitting for hours and shut it off after a few minutes the water pump will leak pretty bad for a few minutes. Then when I start it again it stops leaking. Alot of times I notice if I run it for a while and shut it off there is no leak. Also, if I have to also replace the water pump is it a hard job? and should I check the timing chain/belt at the same time since I should be able to get to it at that point. 1995 Jimmy 4.3 Vortec. Thanks, Rob.

b1gs3xy
07-04-2005, 01:41 AM
I took off the cortec cover and then there was something else I took out that was underneath the cortec cover to see inside. When I looked inside the round hole it looks kinda wet but more dirty. What exactly should it look like inside there? on the driver side there is something that plugs in and on the passenger side there is something with a round shape. all over inside is wet and dirty looking. Yes my oil smells like gas also. I have noticed that since I bought the truck and after fixing the EGR problem with a screen gasket it still smelled like gas but it ran perfect. It has been running bad since june 1st again. And yes it seems every day it gets worse. And I am not sure what exactly I am smelling coming from the exhaust but when sitting with the AC on I can smell my truck from blocks away. Its a very strong odd smell. Not like rotten eggs, not like gas, not like oil. I am not sure what it is, I guess it seems like a very strong exhaust/carbon smell. But yeah I am not sure what I am looking for under the vortec cover and like I said I pulled off the vortec cover then there was something round underneath it with 2 more hex bolts that I took off and pulled it out and then looked into a round hole in the intake. Thanks, Rob.

demotim00
07-04-2005, 05:59 AM
Here are some links that shows good pictures of CPI Leaking:
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2000/techtotech.htm along with
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113559

When a CPI is not leaking, it should have alot of grime and be extremely dirty, however as you will see in the pictures there are some partly shiny parts and is clean in some spots, that is a sign of washing. If when you see washing(cleaning) on the passanger side, your CPI is leaking. If the washing is on the driver side than your Nut Kit is leaking. In either case if your going to replace one, you should replace both as a matter of course since both of them do tend to leak. Also remember to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after your done, that way any codes in the computer will be cleared and your check engine light wont come in because it is reading a past code. Hope this helps. If you do have any questions, feel free to email me at riverrescue01@hotmail.com, as I have just got done going through all of it not even a week ago.

drdd
07-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Don't wait on this. The gas in your oil is killing your engine. Change the oil after fixing the CPI.

Here are some links that shows good pictures of CPI Leaking:
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/feb2000/techtotech.htm along with
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113559

When a CPI is not leaking, it should have alot of grime and be extremely dirty, however as you will see in the pictures there are some partly shiny parts and is clean in some spots, that is a sign of washing. If when you see washing(cleaning) on the passanger side, your CPI is leaking. If the washing is on the driver side than your Nut Kit is leaking. In either case if your going to replace one, you should replace both as a matter of course since both of them do tend to leak. Also remember to reset your computer by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it after your done, that way any codes in the computer will be cleared and your check engine light wont come in because it is reading a past code. Hope this helps. If you do have any questions, feel free to email me at riverrescue01@hotmail.com, as I have just got done going through all of it not even a week ago.

Add your comment to this topic!