Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

problem help!

kraziqtashes
07-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi. I purchased my first car about three months ago. A 1999 Alero. She's beautiful. A couple weeks after getting my Alero it overheated--The guage went as high as it could go and the light came on and started chiming. I had the thermostat replaced. Then I noticed the low coolant light was always clicking on. I took it somewhere to be fixed and when they opened up the hood there was spilled coolant everywhere. They replaced the water pump. Then the low coolant light would still come on every once in awhile. They then replaced the intake gasket.

I notice that my Alero runs right at the halfway point on the temperature gauge all the time. Sometimes if I'm going up a hill it'll rise. Sometimes if I'm sitting in traffic it'll rise also. Is it normal for these Alero's to run exactly at the half way point on the temperature gauge? My brother was driving my car one day and said it shouldnt be running halfway on the gauge. He said his Neon runs below that.

Also. Sometimes the Alero stalls. It doesnt stall while I drive it. It'll usually start up fine but if I drive it for about 5-10 and then park it and go inside somewhere and come back out to the car I'll start it and it'll stall. I'll start it again and it'll stall. Sometimes it starts and stalls five or so times. I took it somewhere and they changed my fuel filter.

And another thing. Sometime when I'm driving I'll hear a chime and I notice a ''Trac Off'' and "Anti Lock" light will be on. They come on at the same time, and go off at the same time. It hasnt done this for maybe a couple weeks now, but before it was doing it every day....

I'm beginning to regret buying this Alero. I'm almost afraid to drive it. Haha

So basically my question is--Do all Alero's run at the halfway mark on the temperature gauge, and what could this stalling problem be?

THANK YOU!

JTrujillo86
07-02-2005, 02:07 AM
Yes, these are supposed to run at the halfway mark. Just because your brother's neon doesn't, doesn't mean everything else isn't supposed to. Mine does get just a little warm in traffic, but thats normal. This is exactly where they should be.

As for the Trac Off and Anti-Lock lights, that has to with a bad wheel speed sensor. In order to replace this, the entire hub assembly needs to be replaced on what ever wheel has the bad bearing.

Hmm...has for the stalling, I'm not sure there.

Jeremy

schraubemutter
07-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Yes, these are supposed to run at the halfway mark. Just because your brother's neon doesn't, doesn't mean everything else isn't supposed to. Mine does get just a little warm in traffic, but thats normal. This is exactly where they should be.

As for the Trac Off and Anti-Lock lights, that has to with a bad wheel speed sensor. In order to replace this, the entire hub assembly needs to be replaced on what ever wheel has the bad bearing.

Hmm...has for the stalling, I'm not sure there.

Jeremy

One hot day I was stuck in crawling traffic on the Interstate. The temperature guage went above the halfway mark. I turned on the heater and it came down to just below the halfway mark.

The Trac Off thing comes on whenever I drive over especially rough pavement where one wheel might turn at a different rate than the other. I would not worry about it.

I have not experienced the stalling problem.

Add your comment to this topic!