Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission filter

JackDaniels386
06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
I was looking through my Haynes manual the other day to see what it said on changing the transmission filter, and there was nothing about it in there. I have a 97 Jimmy, and it hesitates before it shifts, especially when i just start it up, it almost stalls out before i get out my driveway. but when i get up to speed it drives fine, but feels bogged down when shifting gears. then when I get to a stop sign, the RPMs fall real low and it seems like it wants to stall out again. it has stalled out 2 times at stop signs all ready as a matter of fact. I think its my filter thats gotta be all clogged up or something, has anyone done a tranny filter change before? how many quarts of tranny oil should it take to fill it back up?

drdd
06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
change your tranny fluid and filter (either do-it-yourself where you only empty the pan and replace approx 20% of the fluid OR have a dealership flush the entire system and replace 100% of it). Of course, use a new filter.

More importantly, have you ever had problems with your ignition switch? Fautly switches are extremely common on 97's and can easily be mistaken for tranny problems ... do a search on this forum under "97 ignition" "97 ignition switch" etc ...

I was looking through my Haynes manual the other day to see what it said on changing the transmission filter, and there was nothing about it in there. I have a 97 Jimmy, and it hesitates before it shifts, especially when i just start it up, it almost stalls out before i get out my driveway. but when i get up to speed it drives fine, but feels bogged down when shifting gears. then when I get to a stop sign, the RPMs fall real low and it seems like it wants to stall out again. it has stalled out 2 times at stop signs all ready as a matter of fact. I think its my filter thats gotta be all clogged up or something, has anyone done a tranny filter change before? how many quarts of tranny oil should it take to fill it back up?

Add your comment to this topic!