Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Amigo-2K - found Rotella

Ramblin Fever
06-30-2005, 09:19 AM
5w-40 at Walmart in the 1qt containers. They're blue and almost easy to miss.

Can't find it in a 5 qt jug, and seems Walmart's the only place that has it, so far. :disappoin

I was hoping this oil would be easier to find. It's frustrating when you decide to try something different and can hardly find the stuff.

amigo-2k
06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
cool.

is this dino oil or syn?

Cat Fuzz
06-30-2005, 05:16 PM
You guys must not have any Shell stations where you live. Tried looking at truck stops?

bighops2000
06-30-2005, 10:47 PM
So with my ticking should i go to a 5w 30 rotella .

Ramblin Fever
07-01-2005, 03:16 AM
Yes, it is the synthetic. I very carefully observed the bottles.

After driving to 3 different Walmarts within a 20 mile radius, I found one that carries the 5w-40 synthetic in the 1 gallon jugs.

I paid $13.?? for each 1 gallon jug.

This Walmart, however, didn't offer it in 5 qt containers, and didn't have any individual 1 qt bottles either.

Seems not every Walmart sales it; and Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Pepboys, and Checkers in my area at least, don't carry it.

The truck stops were my next destination, I do have 3 within a 25-50 mile radius.

Have LOTS of Shell gas-stations, they only stock the 15w-40 HDEO; was kind of irritated at that.

Bighops2000 - I'm choosing to switch to the 5w-40 Rotella synthetic oil, which is graded for gasoline and diesel engines.

After many hours and sleepless nights of researching on the bob'stheoilguy website, I've learned from the "limited" Isuzu posters, I might add, that these 3.2/3.5L's are not fairing real well on the Mobil 1 or Amsoil synthetics 5w or 10w-30's.

Seems that they're tearing up the oil, and using up the additives quickly, and/or just are not fairing with the oil in general.

There's one poster on there who owns a newer Trooper, who used to run Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30, I believe, for the first 80K miles. His numbers weren't bad, but he wanted something that would provide much better wear with better lubrication; he switched to the Rotella 5w-40 and is having MUCH better results.

Another poster had a late 90's Trooper who had been running Red Line, 10w-30 with "fantastic" wear numbers for quite some time - but this oil is next to impossible to find, and I've heard is not really well suited for the daily driver with stop/go traffic.

I figured it can't hurt to try myself, and the Rotella has a LOT of detergents.

I have nothing to lose - well, can't lie, I do, the TICK! So I figured I might as well try it.

Truck is running ok on 5w-30 regular Havoline, but seemed to like the 10-30's better. However, after seeing some results (oil analysis) from other 3.2L Rodeo's on that website, I'm leary of running a regular 10w-30 or 5w-30 for that matter.

If they're beating up good synthetic 10w-30's, I can't imagine what they're doing to a regular oil!!

Good luck, and I'll keep y'all posted.

rodeo02
07-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Ramblin- the thing is, there really isnt enough UOA data avail. on the 3.2/3.5 to form an opinion on any oil. UOA results for a passenger vehicle can vary WAY too much depending on how the vehicle is driven, where it's driven, what fuel is used, etc..etc.. I'm not a lube expert by any means, but unless you are testing the same vehicle(s) under exactly the same operating conditions, the data is kind of meaningless, unless it flags a coolant leak or dirt ingestion issue for you. Now OTOT, huge industrial equipment with 1000+gal oil sumps, or on OTR rigs with 10+gal sumps that go 10000+ miles between OCI's UOA is a necessity.
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
07-01-2005, 02:58 PM
RodeoO2 - I must confess something, I have a "bad" habit of researching the crap out of everything before I make a purchase, in fact, I've gotten so bad on researching the life out of anything and everything, that my dogs are no longer on ANY kind of dog food, or dog treats. Nor are they getting yearly vaccinations any longer.

I don't go to Petsmart or Petco, they get no Nylabones, only Beef Marrow bones from a grocery store, that I "have" to clean the marrow out of, freeze for no less than 7 days, and cook for 2 minutes before they can have them. . . Catching on yet?

They eat strictly homemade cooked meat and veggies with a human vitamin supplement; the crap that I've discovered goes into a bag or can of dog food would just make your stomach. . . . yeah.

I have been so paranoid in my life for so long of going "outside the box" on anything, that I've just recently started saying, hey, life's too short to have to worry about every little darn thing; I'm tired of living life by the book, or by someone else's "must do or else" suggestions.

I rode around on bald tires for MONTHS, researching the life out of every tire on the market before purchasing the Bridgestone Revo's - 3 websites I immediately researched said they were the best, but it still took me 7 months of driving around on not only were they bald, but out of round tires before I finally said ENOUGH - do it or just put the truck on bricks and store it!

In my mind, enough is enough, I'm tired of "feeling" like I haven't done enough researching before just trying something for crying out loud - it's not gonna hurt anything, that's what I have to keep telling myself ALL the darn time.

I do understand all of what you're saying, and I understand that there will NEVER be enough UOA's for the 3.2/3.5L's - it just isn't going to happen.

We are of the rarity and face it, there's a huge croud out there of people who do own the 3.2/3.5L's that just don't give a crud as to how there's is running.

Unless you have a ford, chevy, dodge, toyota or honda, you will never find a lot of research data on what you need - I'm finally having to learn to accept that.

I do know that obviously if I have a ticking issue, the Havoline isn't doing the job for the tasks at hand of this particular Rodeo. And I haven't formed an opinion on Rotella or on any oil, I'm simply trying another kind of oil.

I've used Havoline for so long, and I'm not saying it's bad - it's a darned good oil, and who know's I may end up back with it. But there's no reason I can't try another oil to get the ticking to stop - obviously the Havoline isn't making it stop.

Now if I seriously thought that this Rotella 5w-40 was out to do more harm then good, I wouldn't use it - but I have nothing to lose but the tick. If after several thousand miles, it's not helping then I'll know IT as well may not be the right oil - one thing I do know, from having a diesel truck myself, is these diesel oils DO have higher detergents then regular oil.

That idea alone is something I like, cause if the tick never goes away, hopefully at least it won't get worse.

I tried the lighter weight oils, i.e. Havoline 5w-30, truck gets "tickier" the hotter it gets - that can't be good, either.

All that data, personally, on the bobstheoilguy site is pretty much meaningless, because not only does it boil down to your driving style, etc, but it also amounts to how that person takes care of that vehicle all around - i.e. condition of spark plugs, pcv valve, tire pressure (in regards to better mileage), tire type, tire size, wind, rain, snow, passanger's in vehicle, their weight, etc. you name it.

And you know what, after 1yr and 12K miles, I DO like those Bridgestone Revo's; and I will never spend another dime on a BFG A/T KO tire again!

Canucklehead
07-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Have you looked into how much phosphorus is in Rotella 5W40 and how it will affect your catalytic converter? I remember reading somewhere that diesel oils can have extra phosphorus in them which can poison the catalyst media.

Ramblin Fever
07-01-2005, 05:23 PM
No, I must admit I haven't double checked the phosphorus - but the 5w-40 is rated CH-I/SL for gasoline and diesel engines and meets or exceeds warranty requirements.

Hopefully there won't be any issues with the Cat. I'll have to double check that, before putting it in the truck - at least I still have the receipt to take the oil back if need be.

rodeo02
07-01-2005, 08:44 PM
RodeoO2 - I must confess something, I have a "bad" habit of researching the crap out of everything before I make a purchase...!

:grinyes: :evillol: Research is good! in fact, some times it can be kinda fun. Shell Rotella, mobil delvac or even Advance auto, AZ or wally world's supertech would all be a good choice for a heavy duty engine oil. Especially good for HIGH mileage engines, oil burners and old school muscle cars. You wont hurt a thing by running it in your truck. You *might* get a little less MPG's, but its hard to tell with rodoes as they (like all other trucks) are pretty horrible on gas anyway.
G/luck
Joel

Ramblin Fever
07-02-2005, 07:06 AM
I'll let you know bit more today; heading out for a 400-500 mile drive.

TheFugitiveMind
07-03-2005, 07:15 PM
ive been using Castrol Syntec 10w-30 for the past 20k miles and i havent had a problem with any ticking. i got about 51k miles on my passport and i get 14-16mpg in the city and 19-21mpg on the highway. gas sucks on it but im ok with it. i do have some oil burnign issues though. but thats about it.

Add your comment to this topic!